**Avoid Perry Moving Jessup, Maryland

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
dcapellman

**Avoid Perry Moving Jessup, Maryland

Postby dcapellman » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:13 pm

1) As documented on the Bill of Lading/Freight Bill and Agreement for Services, $250 was paid for $100,000 insurance for full value protection. Prior to the move date, we requested but never received insurance policy documentation from Perry Moving explaining insurance coverage and the name of the insurance company. We are suspicious that no insurance was purchased for our move.

2) Stereo speakers valued at $900 had several speaker cones crushed by Perry Moving during packing and shipment. The protective grill covers were removed from the speaker enclosures prior to packing exposing the delicate and fragile speaker cones.

3) Prior to the pack date, it was mutually agreed by Perry Moving that the stereo equipment and computer hardware would be packed by the owners. On the pack date, the speakers were packed by an employee of Perry Moving who was recovering from hospital/medical treatment, complained of being in extreme pain, and wore a colostomy bag.

4) The speakers were unpacked after delivery and the protective containers were not used properly nor were the styrofoam packing used correctly during the shipment. After discovering that the speaker cones were crushed, Perry Moving was contacted describing the damage to the speaker cones and a claims form was requested. A damage claim along with pictures was mailed (USPS) to Perry Moving in May 2007 describing and depicting the damage to the speaker cones.

5) Perry Moving was contacted in July 2007 to inquire about the status of claim that was submitted in May 2007 for the damaged speakers. After spending two weeks searching for the claim, Perry Moving could not locate the damage claim form and pictures and requested another damage claim form along with pictures be submitted.

6) In early August 2007, another damage claim form was mailed (USPS) to Perry Moving and digital pictures of the damaged speaker cones were emailed to the company. We did not receive a written description of the claims procedure but were informed that as part of the insurance claim process, the claim form and pictures were all that was needed for the insurance company to assess the damage and get reimbursed since we had paid for additional insurance for full protection/replacement value as part of the services. In late August 2007, we were informed that the owner of Perry Moving was going to come to Winchester, Virginia and personally assess the damage to the speakers.

7) In early September 2007, the owner of Perry Moving came out to see the damaged speakers and informed us on that day that he was going to take them back to Maryland to an authorized service/repair center in the Columbia Mall in Columbia, Maryland. The speakers were packed incorrectly by the owner of Perry Moving without using all of the packing material and taken back to Maryland for repair. In addition, not all of the speaker power and cable accessories were taken.

8) In the middle of September 2007, the speakers were returned to us in Winchester, Virginia, were not packed correctly, and we were informed that the speakers were repaired and tested by an authorized service/repair center. We were also told by the owner of Perry Moving that the speaker cones/drivers were not available anymore and a receipt for the repair work would be provided. We contacted the speaker manufacturer and described the damage and they recommended speaker cone/driver replacement. The speaker manufacturer’s technical center also informed us that they had the replacement parts on hand, that there were no authorized repair centers in the Columbia, Maryland area, and that the speakers should have been sent back to them in Massachusetts for repair. We are suspicious that the speakers were not professionally repaired or tested and that some repair work was attempted since the bolts securing the speaker drivers are dented and missing paint.

9) During October 2007, we contacted Perry Moving several times a week and requested a copy of the repair invoice and was told again that the receipt would be mailed to us. We explained to Perry Moving that we needed a copy of the repair invoice to prove that they were professionally serviced and for our tax records. By the end of October 2007, Perry Moving informed us that they were not going to furnish a copy of receipt for the repair invoice, nor were they going to provide the name of the insurance company where the claim was submitted, and to stop calling them.

10) In November 2007, we received a letter from Perry Moving stating that after a thorough company investigation they decided to deny our claim. Perry Moving also stated that according to section 3c of the service contract that the speakers mechanical condition is not their responsibility and that the packing cartons showed no evidence of being crushed or dropped or miss handled. The speaker cones were crushed by Perry Moving during packing and shipment because the protective grill covers were removed prior to packing exposing the speaker cones.

11) Since March 2007, we have not used the speakers because we never received confirmation that the speakers were professionally serviced. We were advised by the speaker manufacturer that there may be some risk with damaging other stereo equipment if the speakers were used. We paid for insurance for full value protection and trusted that Perry Moving would take responsibility and process claims for any damage. We spent a considerable amount of time researching professional repair methods for our speakers as well as time spent requesting relevant documentation from Perry Moving Services.

Company Information:

Perry Moving Services
8350 Bristol Court Suite 111
Jessup, MD 20794

(301) 362-5600
info@perrymoving.com

DOT 966254
MC 469384

Diane

Re: **Avoid Perry Moving Jessup, Maryland

Postby Diane » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:35 pm

Hi - I'm sorry that this happened to you. In my experience, sometimes companies act this way when they are strapped for cash. It appears to me that one of the problems might be that although you said you were going to pack the speakers, in reality an employee of Perry Moving packed them. This clouds the situation a little.

The cargo insurance carrier for Perry Moving Services at the time of your move was Hanover Insurance Co. The policy number is on the link below and if you click on the name of Hanover it will give you their contact information. Perry still has coverage through Hanover but with a different policy number, as you can see if you click on the "Active Insurance" page on www.safersys.org.

http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... name=PERRY^MOVING^SERVICES^L.L.C.&pv_pref_docket=MC469384&pv_usdot_no=966254&pv_vpath=LIVIEW

I would suggest contacting Hanover directly and sending them your information to see whether they can resolve the issue. (It could be that they cover only total loss of cargo or loss from named perils such as fire and flood.) Meanwhile, I'll add your complaint to the Superlist linked to below my name.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Michael

Re: Avoid Perry Moving Jessup, Maryland

Postby Michael » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:44 pm

The other clue that would show your claim would be denied was at the very beginning when you purchased full coverage and $100,000 of value at only $250. Just another example of its to good to be true it probably is.

Sorry about your ordeal.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

dcapellman

Re: Avoid Perry Moving Jessup, Maryland (back to Michael)

Postby dcapellman » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:12 pm

Hello Michael,

At the time and from past experience, $250 seemed like a reasonable rate for the insurance. Diane posted some information about the insurance company and hopefully I can get a claim processed. Do you have any good experiences or have knowledge of insurance companies processing damage claims from moving and what are some competitive rates? Thank you.

Doug and Karen Capellman
Doug Capellman
dcapellman@comcast.net

Noone

Postby Noone » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:24 am

I can say that on international moving rates are around 2.5%, or 10 times what you paid.

dreamdazes

Postby dreamdazes » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Hello - Sorry to hear you did not like your experience with Perry Moving Services - but I thought the company was FABULOUS from the telephone call into their office requesting an estimate to my actual move to Spotsylvania Virginia. The packers who came to my home in Pasadena were both professional and meticulous and they spent a full day packing over 100 cartons for me. They packed everything from fine china to my childrens tonka trucks. When they came back the next day to actually load the truck the crew again was great and professional with all of my items. When we got to Spotsylvania the following day - the unload went smooth too. There was a minor scratch, which may have been caused by my son on the end table, and the crew took the table back with them to Jessup, Maryland and it was repaired and delivered within a weeks time. And, again I believe the scratch originated from my son instead of the movers because they had pad wrapped the table so well but during the delivery my son was running around with his toys before all the furniture was placed and I guess it was a 50/50 of who did it and Richard Perry said "No problem - you have Full Value Protection for your move have the guys bring it back and we will fix it for you"!

My experience with this company was great and I can not imagine that anyone would have a problem with Perry Moving Services and I have told all of my friends and co-workers about the company.

As for the speakers that you are talking about - I am confused as to why or how plugging speakers in could damage your other components when nothing comes out of the speaker wires into the stereo - the waves come from the stereo into the speakers which makes me wonder if it is you who is in the wrong here! It kinda sounds like you want a new "free" pair of speakers to me?

P.S. Perry packed up my surround sound system and my stereo speakers that stand almost 3 feet high and they NEVER took off the covers in order to pack them!

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:52 pm

dreamdazes,
Who was the agent that packed and loaded your shipment in Pasadena, CA?

dreamdazes

Postby dreamdazes » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:41 pm

Hey Farrah7031,
It was Perry Moving Services in Pasadena, MD

dcapellman

Re: Avoid Perry Moving Jessup, Maryland (back to dreamdazes)

Postby dcapellman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:48 pm

We spent $250 for additional insurance coverage and we requested documentation for the insurance policy that would explain the type of insurance coverage and the name of the insurance company. After numerous requests and eight months, we are concerned that no insurance was purchased for our move.

Since there are no authorized repair centers in the Columbia, Maryland area, we are suspicious that the speakers were not professionally repaired or tested. We requested numerous times the name of the repair center where the speakers were repaired and the invoice for the repair and we were denied this information.

Similar to the lack of proof we have for the additional insurance, we have no documentation for the repair and we are concerned that the speakers were never professionally repaired.
Doug Capellman
dcapellman@comcast.net

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:45 pm

First and foremost Doug, major van lines dont offer insurance, they offer valuation. The minimum a mover is liable to any damage to your goods is what we call Basic Liability. It covers your move at .60/lb per article.

After basic comes Full Value Protection. Your "minimum" value is determined by the weight being multipled by a factor of $5-$6. Thus 10,000 pounds would place you at a minimum of $50,000-$60,000 dollars of value. Within that you have the choice of a $0, $250 and $500 deductible. Cost for a $100,000 can range from $650 to & $850, depends on the cost.

So in eesence you got "Insurance" for 1/3 the cost of what normal companies would charge for "valuation".
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

dcapellman

Re: Avoid Perry Moving Jessup, Maryland (back to Michael)

Postby dcapellman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:16 pm

Michael,

I appreciate the follow up and the additional information that explains the valuation we purchased. My wife and I are amazed at the amount of information available on this website which is made possible thanks to people like you.

In addition and thanks to Diane, I was able to locate and contact the insurance company and have been assigned an insurance adjustor. In addition to processing the claim, we are looking into the Full Value Protection that was purchased and applied to our move. Thanks again.

Doug and Karen Capellman
Doug Capellman
dcapellman@comcast.net

IMP

Postby IMP » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:00 am

Doug,

I am sorry for what you went through. Did the stereo folks give you any idea what the cost would be to REALLY repair your speakers? If it's anywhere near the $250, then one would think Perry would be willing to return the premium that you paid.

As for the individual who popped up to tell us about his/her wonderful experience with Perry - all I can say is that those who have good moving experiences rarely come to MovingScam AFTER their move to tell us how great their mover was. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck . . . . . nothing personal but usually it's a duck.

Quack Quack
There are still good people who move good people.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:15 am

The attack on Doug also sounded a little over the top to me:
dreamdazes wrote:makes me wonder if it is you who is in the wrong here! It kinda sounds like you want a new "free" pair of speakers to me?

dcapellman

Re: Avoid Perry Moving Jessup, Maryland (back to IMP)

Postby dcapellman » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:01 pm

IMP,

Like I mentioned in my earlier note, I am working with the insurance company and when I get the “green light” to move forward with the repair; I am going to obtain an estimate. From my discussions with the speaker manufacturer it appeared that it would be cost-effective to replace the speaker driver/cones but I never did get a price for the repair.

Hopefully the amount of money I am entitled to from the insurance company for this claim will cover the cost of speaker replacement/repair. In any case, my wife and I are finally starting to feel optimistic with this process and we have some peace of mind. Thanks for your help!

Doug and Karen Capellman
Doug Capellman
dcapellman@comcast.net

Richard Perry

Postby Richard Perry » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:45 am

I would like to start by saying this is a great resource for people in the process of moving however I think it would be nice if MovingScam.com could give the movers notice that people are making comments about them. Customer service and integrity are the core values of our business and in this industry our business is highly susceptible to many claims both legitimate and not. I would also like to respond to the Capellman's complaint of December 31, 2007. My name is Richard Perry and I am the president of Perry Moving Services and I was also the sales rep that handled the Capellman’s move. During my initial estimate I was informed by Mrs. Capellman that she was going to pack all of the electronics because she had all of the original boxes and materials they came in. I have spoken several times with my employee, Joe, who Mrs. Capellman said packed the speakers and he stated that he assisted her in putting the speakers in the box but did not pack the speakers himself. The protective covers were on the speakers when my employee assisted in placing them in the box; and, at no time did Mrs. Capellman or my employee take the covers off of the speakers. There is no damage being claimed to the cover protecting the speakers or the exterior of the speakers.

I was personally present at loading and delivery. The shipment was picked up on March 28th and delivered on March 30th. The shipment went perfect. I even spent several minutes with the Capellman’s looking for damage to there possessions. The cartons were intact no crushing marks or punctures. Mrs. Capellman called in July and asked if we could send her a claim form. We did so and asked her to send any pictures via email and any proof of purchase or information on where the speakers were purchased. The only email of pictures came on August 8th with a fax of the claim form. The form said the speakers were valued at $800. We made an appointment to assess the claim because it seemed unusual. When I arrived to asses the speakers Mrs. Capellman was expecting a check for $800. I asked Mrs. Capellman where the speakers were purchased and she did not remember or could not find a receipt. I told Mrs. Capellman I would have someone look at the speakers and do a claim investigation. I brought the speakers back showed them to our packer Joe and he said she packed the speakers and he only helped her put them in the box. I inspected the cartons and there was no damage to the exterior. The protective covers show no sign of damage. There was no way of knowing if the damage was pre existing unless you removed these protective covers. The speakers were returned to the Capellman’s and I explained to Mrs. Capellman that this is not something we are responsible for and that her insurance would not cover replacing her speakers for $800. She said she would discuss it with her husband. Mrs. Capellman called wanting to know the status of her claim and I informed her I would write her a formal letter why her claim was not covered. Insurance coverage on a move covers damage that is a direct result of mishandling by the Mover it does not cover pre existing conditions or damage caused by other parties.

Return to “Report A Scam”