*Curious now---

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
smatwilly

*Curious now---

Postby smatwilly » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:36 pm

Diane--Im curious as to why you say they are steering people to the wrong website---the only one I thought was a glitch was the gov one--the others were fine--what is wrong with the others?
Also, I dont understand why you say talking about sq ft ivs cu ft is the talk of an amateur? What do you mean by that? :?:

IMP - I didnt see anywhere where that was said to be a compliment---but my eyes are a little blurred by the end of the day so I might have missed it! :roll:

Farrah--Yes, good intentions were there - I should have cut & pasted though - I was short on time :D Whitefence didnt lead me to a vanline - it was a marketplace with info on moving--I wonder why that happened to you?

Archie--What links should be removed--maybe the person in charge here can delete the ones that arent any good. Sirva is the largest household goods mover in the US. (that one I know for a fact :P )

I dont mind if you all delete whats not worth reading--feel free---hopefully some of what is there might be helpful though! :D

Jim

Re: Curious now---

Postby Jim » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:42 pm

smatwilly, 123 movers is a find-a-mover website; something we tell people to avoid if they wish not to be scammed. I took a look at the website and it's filled with some of the more prolific scam artists. I also noticed some of the information is also inaccurate and very out-of-date.

I'll let others chime in on the other links - although I like the link for movingscam. What a great website! :D
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:50 am

I'm surprised that Sirva, which is Allied and North American, is cavorting with a known question mark such as 123 movers......somebody needs to splain that to me.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:09 am

Archie, as an agent for Big Orange, Sirva is desperately trying get any & all leads/moves they can. My agency is fed a lot of leads through the LMP (Lead Management Program). They filter the lead & we do our best to close the move. From what I'm hearing it's only a matter of time until BK is declared. The next 3 months should prove interesting. 8)

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:31 am

I'm sorry to hear that......not that they are the only one having troubles these days.....we had our worst year out of the previous 81 last year.

We bought Cathcarts building, they were an Allied agent for 105 years before giving it up...but they gave us a good deal on the building.

When all this internet stuff started, we jumped into a bunch of internet lead situations, monster moving, Imove, Umove, I can't even remember the names, but it was worthless, we gave up on it. We would get a lead and call the person, they would say, you are the 12th mover thats called me today, blah blah, either that, or they would want 8 quotes on moving a rocking chair across the country, picked up on monday and delivered on Friday, etc.

Auri

Postby Auri » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:52 am

Unfortunately.....the market is going down like mad. Moving companies who wouldn't dare touch places like 123movers are going there to gain more leads. It's desperation time and I know of several companies that are folding.

Oh yeah, Diane or Music Mom, I believe Samson's in Chicago is now closed. You may wish to check that out for the superlist.
Industry Professional in Chicago

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:58 am

Thanks, Auri. Please let me know if you hear of other changes that affect the Superlist. (The same goes for anybody else following this messageboard who can help keep the Superlist updated.)

I am really sorry to hear about SIRVA's impending bankruptcy, which I've also been reading about on www.householddrivers.com. People there are saying that Allied and North American are grand old van lines and the problem has been SIRVA management, which they say is dominated by people who know nothing about moving.

BigDog, what will happen to the agents if Allied and North American go down along with SIRVA? Will the agents jump ship to another van line?

BigLeeCalif

Re: *Curious now---

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:33 pm

Diane, it seems like I remember Archie saying a few years ago that SIRVA was going to have problems by bringing in ownership outside of the industry.

They may have done just as well bringing in the CEO of Walmart.

Unigroup may not be the perfect van line, but when the board members consist of movers, then you at least know that most (they key word is most) decisions will have some semblance of knowledge involved.

I have watched a lot of van lines that were known for quality drift down the pike weaving like a drunk driver.

A lot of van line agents with weak van lines are going to discover that they can do it better by themselves. Those that have the financial resources will enter the fray. Those that don't will either move to a more financially stable van line or get out of the business.

There is a lucrative freight business waiting to be tapped. Yesterday a freight carrier came in to pick up an overseas shipment with a 53 ft Reefer trailer. I didn't know that liftvans are going in climate controlled vehicles now... lol The driver was Russian, and had to call his dispatcher to interpret, because his English was not recognizable.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”