Binding/Not to Exceed on an Hourly Quote

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
reptar

Binding/Not to Exceed on an Hourly Quote

Postby reptar » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:56 am

I am getting quotes for a local move (within 40 miles) including one month of storage. Is it reasoanble for me to request a binding / not to exceed quote?

We have seen a few quotes already and they are all hourly (not weight based), however I am a bit nervous that there is still major room for the final price to soar ... let's say it takes them longer than estimated 8 hours.
Thanks for your help.

ArchieWhite

Re: Binding/Not to Exceed on an Hourly Quote

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:11 am

Depends on the local and state laws where ever you are located....some states do not allow a move to be bound, and others do. Up until 7-8 years ago, in Georgia, there was no binding move.....you paid for the services you received....if it took less time than the quote, you paid less, and if it took more time than the quote, you paid more. The times they are a-changing, to quote Bob Dylan.

reptar

Postby reptar » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:13 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I am in CT.
Any idea what the laws are or where I can look them up?

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:21 am

Nope, call an agent of a major carrier ( Atlas, United, Mayflower, Allied, North American, Greabal) and ask them if you can request a binding price for a local move.......You can find them in the yellow pages, or go to the exact name of the carrier in your search engine, then look up their local agent in the 'find a local agent' part of their website. Make sure its the actual carrier, not a phony clone using a very similar name to fool you, as most people don't realize the internet is full of crooks, phonies, liars, cheats, thieves, muggers, buggerers, bandits, nitwits, halfwits, etc.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:54 am

Archie, you forgot dimwi 8) ts.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:02 pm

I should have looked up the entire string and quoted it verbatim, but got lazy and went on memory........

reptar

Postby reptar » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:33 pm

Thanks.
What is it about the quote that makes it "binding"?

I have two quotes from two agents of major companies who used the same quote format. Neither has any language citing that the price is binding however when I ask, they tell me that it is binding. The fee is in a section called "Cost of Service" and they tell me this section is the "fixed price" section of the quote.

I have three other quotes from agents of large companies that use different formats but once again - no explicit verbiage on the forms that indicate binding or GNE, etc

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:27 pm

Are they major vanlines? If so, we can tell you what you want to look for.

reptar

Postby reptar » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:30 pm

Yes
One is North American Van Lines
One is Allied

moverchick

Postby moverchick » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:34 pm

Unless things have changed during the last year in CT. You cannot give a bound local estimate. I certainly ran across them as a salesperson this time of year. But you cannot bind a local move in CT - Sorry. Try having them hand write it - that may help if a problem does occur

reptar

Postby reptar » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:28 pm

Sorry to be persistent but are you saying I have no way if using the advice given on this site - particulary the advice to get a binding estimate?

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:45 pm

Reptar,

We never say to get a "Binding" estimate we tell people when getting a quote for an "interstate" move to ask for Not to Exceed" quotes. That doesnt mean a mover has to give you a not to exceed. Some companies out there have policies where they dont give not to exceed quotes and that is perfectly fine.

When it comes to local moves some companies dont give not to exceeds.
Some states are regulated as to what the rates are for moving.

But you just had someone come on here stating you cant get a bound estimate for a local CT move.

Call the CT Utilites Commission, see what the rules and regulations are to moving within the state of CT.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:48 pm

Movers & Warehousemen's Association of Connecticut
60 Forest Street
Hartford, CT 06105
Phone: (860) 520-4455
Fax: (860) 520-4567
E-mail: cttruck@aol.com

Contact them to see what the rules and regulations for CT are.

reptar

Postby reptar » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:57 pm

Thanks
I apprecite the info. Just for the next guy/gal...
The best contact to understand intrastate move pricing was the PUC leg of the DOT. 860-594-2000. The Movers & Warehousemen's Association of Connecticut could not speak to the pricing practices.

The advice you gave me was on the money...intrastate moves are not bound. You pay for what it takes to do the move. You need to ensure you have communicated everything that is moving and hope the sales rep knows his business when he quotes. Not neccesarily the comfort I was looking for, but it is what it is. The outfit I went with did verbally commit to his qoute being capped and if it appears to be less when he comes back out two days before the move he will even adjust it down.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:07 pm

reptar wrote:The outfit I went with did verbally commit to his qoute being capped and if it appears to be less when he comes back out two days before the move he will even adjust it down.

Sounds like he's working in a bit of a "gray" area to me. If the rules in Connecticut do not allow him to bind the price in writing, it's also illegal for him to "verbally" bind the price.

Return to “Open Community”