Local Move in Northern VA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ArchieWhite

Re: Local Move in Northern VA

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:14 am

Interstate is a well known, and well respected company.....recently Pres Bush visited their training facility for some kind of event, but they are the real deal......(And my grandfather is the one that sold them some of their operating authority in 1943....back then it was a valuable commodity, you had to buy it from somebody that had it, nowadays, you fill out a one page form and pay a lawyer $175 and you are in biz)

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:41 am

There's quite a bit of info about Interstate on our Superlist linked to below my name. I'll add Archie's endorsement.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

jengsa

Postby jengsa » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:44 am

I thought the Pres visited JK Moving & Storage? Did he visit both? I visited their facility a couple years back, very impressive.

austinmover

Postby austinmover » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:43 pm

MusicMom wrote:Austin, when did you use them?

Musicmom, to be quite honest with you, I am an agent for Interstate along with a few others, but I endorse them for their business ethics and professionlism. You nor anyone else will ever be scammed by them.

Austin

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:57 pm

jengsa wrote:I thought the Pres visited JK Moving & Storage? Did he visit both? I visited their facility a couple years back, very impressive.

Aww heck,you may be right.....I could have sworn somebody important visited Interstates training facility,maybe it was Bill Clinton? Nah, Clinton didn't have time for silly stuff like that.

weem

Postby weem » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:00 pm

Hey Austin------How did Interstate do with that Global deal?.....Did the agents get "top hat" service?

austinmover

Postby austinmover » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:41 am

weem wrote:Hey Austin------How did Interstate do with that Global deal?.....Did the agents get "top hat" service?

I assume you would be talking about the "Global" agents..I can't say for sure, but the few I did talk to, weren't happy about the deal.
We as Interstate agents didn't have any input until the deal came through, then we were as surprised as anybody else when they let Global fold. We actually thought that we might derive more tonnage through the acquisition, but it didn't turn out that way.
My two cents worth, which may be all that it is worth.

Austin

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:42 pm

Global Van Lines is still in business and still running – just like a stripped down, pokka dotted VW bus. Not too much left of the company but they’re still smokin’.

Interstate purchased Global in ‘98’ just after United purchased Mayflower, Atlas acquired Red Ball but before Stevens purchased Burnham. The Morrissette family sold the company to Allied Van Lines in 2000, just before AVL/NAVL fell under the knife of Clayton, Dubilier and Rice.

Interstate is primarily a local mover and a DOD and GSA interstate transportation service provider. They have approximately 20 active carriers approved by the Surface Deployment and Distribution Command that they use to juggle military traffic at over 300 bases worldwide. Under SDDC HHG procurement regulations, some agents affiliated with a primary carrier are allowed to hold a letter of intent to represent another military carrier (i.e. Interstate) on a base tonnage allocation roster.

Interstate is the only van lines to be awarded SDDCs Quality Carrier award. Prior to the 2006 win, Interstate earned the award in 1995, 1997, 2003, 2004, and 2005. Guess it pays to have your building sit in the shadow of the Pentagon.

Washington Consumers’ Checkbook magazine, a nonprofit consumer products and service watchdog publication published inside the Beltway, has consistently awarded high marks to the company since they started ranking the 500 movers around DC in 2000.

Return to “Open Community”