baltimore to juneau

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
bmore2ak

baltimore to juneau

Postby bmore2ak » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:10 am

I'm planning a small (4 pieces of large furniture and probably 5-10 boxes of household goods) from Baltimore to Juneau, AK and am hoping to get some advice about how to make the move.

Does anyone have recommendations on whether it would be better to use a freight forwarder or moving company? I've also considered U-pack services, but it seems as if many of them don't provide service to Juneau.

It seems like the best route would be to have my stuff go to Seattle, then shipped to Juneau.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Rick

Re: baltimore to juneau

Postby Rick » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:49 pm

If the items that you’re shipping will all fit into a 196 cu. ft. liftvan (a large wooden box used for shipping household goods internationally http://www.jaxbox.com/images/lgoverseasII.jpg ) then contact Davidson Forwarding, the international shipping division of the Davidson Transfer and Storage Co, a United Van Lines agent located in Baltimore. They are a DOD and FMCSA approved commercial freight forwarder ( FF000328) with quite a bit of experience shipping HHG, vehicles and baggage shipments to Alaska.

Davidson Forwarding
6600 Frankford Avenue
Baltimore, Maryland 21206
Telephone: (800) 285-4332
Fax: (410) 864-0010

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:39 pm

Let me jump in with the great recommendation Rick gave and state this is one company in which you can get a quote. Who and what you decide to do is your responsibility and is in no way a recommendation to use this company only. It is a recommendation of a known non scamming company to get a "QUOTE" from.

But its a start in the right direction.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:53 am

I deal with Mayflower and United daily on shipments to Alaska.

Their normal agent in Alaska in Worldwide Movers in Seattle/Tacoma.

Your goods would probably be trucked to either Seattle or Tacoma, and shipped to Anchorage, and trucked from there.

As Rick stated, your goods should fit into a Type II liftvan. Davidson should also be able to give you pretty accurate transit times.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

bmore2ak

Postby bmore2ak » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:01 am

Thanks for the advice.

Return to “Open Community”