Sureway Moving and Storage Ft Lauderdale

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
aharris88

Postby aharris88 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:17 pm

:evil:
I booked them for an in-state move 2 months in advance. They sent me one handicapped man who was 1.5 hours late and another man who could only stay for 45 minutes. I had asked for 3 men. They took almost 6 hours to move a one bedroom apt on the second floor to their truck!

Then they were too tired to deliver to Jacksonville - kep the stuff overnight and CHARGED ME.

Then they had the handicapped man and a different man drop the stuff off and that took 6 hours. They charged me almost $1800 for a move for the same stuff that the previous mover only charged $1350 to move from GA to FL.
Bad attitude - losers

MusicMom

Re: Sureway Moving and Storage Ft Lauderdale SCAM and RIP OFF

Postby MusicMom » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:25 pm

So this was a move within the state of FL?

Call the FL Attorney General's Economic Crimies Division. FL has great protection against such problems for in-state moves.

What do you mean by "handicapped"?

MovingSoonInFLA2007

Postby MovingSoonInFLA2007 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:39 pm

What office of Surway did you use? I was considering using their Ft. Lauderdale office to move across state.

MovingSoonInFLA2007

Postby MovingSoonInFLA2007 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:48 pm

Nevermind... I re-read the heading. Sorry

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:21 pm

My name is Robert Buto, OWNER of Sureway moving and storage, and my cell # is (954)650-1183, if you want the truth about who tried to scam who, please call me direct. SUREWAY has done 14,000 moves since 1995. We have a total of ELEVEN COMPLAINTS. You can call broward county consumer affairs, or the D.O.T. We pride ourselves in HONESTY, Not trying to move for free. The lady tried to not pay her credit card bill, and lost. What goes around, COMES AROUND.
Robert Buto

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:40 pm

To be fair, this is the only complaint we've gotten on Sureway.

Robert, can you tell us about the disabled foreman?

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:17 am

This is in response to Harris who used Sureway Moving. I have used Sureway Moving over the years several times and have recommended them to many people who were just as satisfied as I was. I was outraged to read about your complaint about the "handicapped" man. How dare you defame someone's character like that. You really should be ashamed of yourself. (My mom's handicapped as well. not DISEASED!) I know the handicapped man you're referring to from my first move 13 years ago. He was the most courteous man. I tell people I refer to ask for him. By the way, I believe he has a name...Chris. How dare you slam Sureway for sending you a "handicapped" man! More power to you Sureway for being an equal opportunity employer! Should the man not work because of people like you who look only for the bad? Try doing the move yourself and let me know how you make out and how long it takes to climb stairs handicapped or not! Sureway's owner is one of the nicest and most honest men I know, along with the office staff. I guess in your perfect world people aren't human! Better luck next time lady!

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:27 am

I'm new here, does the program have any system for checking out complaints before a hard working businessman might have his reputation tarnished? Or does the old saying, the customer is always right, reign?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:48 pm

Not really set up for that. Moving company owners can do exactly what Mr. buto did and say his side of the story. But we just do not have the time nor the resoures to call every singel mover discussed here and request their side of the story for print.

I did make a point of saying this was the only complaint we'd gotten, and I'd hoped the customer could elaborate on her use of the word "handicapped", which she hasn't yet done. I will change the heading of this topic to remove the word SCAM.

However, should someone who is physically disabled enough to limit movement really be working in a job that requires people in tip-top shape to carry heavy items? I'm not trying to be policially incorrect here, just practical; I'm all for equal opportunities.

ArchieWhite

Re: Sureway Moving and Storage Ft Lauderdale

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:59 pm

As far as handicapped movers goes, we once had a guy that had one leg shorter than the other, and he said it actually helped him when he had to move things upstairs.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:07 pm

I would not have considered that a handicap, but I like the way he thinks! :wink:

OK, this complaint is not only the first one we had about Sureway, but the ONLY mention of Sureway we've had. At a site called MovingScam.com, it's a good thing to avoid being mentioned. Along with the blessing of a respected name in the business, I think this shows that Sureway is not a SCAM, but had one unhappy customer.

Maybe the original author will come back to give more information, but probably not.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:48 pm

I just called the FL Division of Consumer Services Hotline at 1-850-488-2221 (the line for out of Florida) to see what they had to say about Sureway. Sureway's FL license number is IM69. The woman I spoke with said that they have had 8 complaints between 2003 and the present. The last one was in December 2006 and it had to do with property damage and the customer wanting compensation for the damage (most of the complaints had to do with this). Three of the 8 complaints were closed satisfactorily, one was closed as a private civil dispute, two were closed through mediation, and two were not closed because (according to the woman I spoke with) the company did not respond to a letter sent by Consumer Services. I asked the woman whether most moving companies had at least some complaints and she said yes. She was unwilling to venture an opinion as to whether 8 complaints over four years was a lot or a little. Personally I would say that it's "a little" since Sureway appears to do at least 1000 moves a year judging from what the owner says.

smart consumer

Postby smart consumer » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:27 pm

Over the past several weeks my sister, brother and I have been planning a move for my parents from Florida to Georgia. My parents are not well and are moving to be closer to their family. I flew from Oregon to Florida to interview movers. I was looking for a mover who would pack and move my parents possessions, and not take advantage of my parents who are having some memory issues.

One of the three movers I interviewed was Robert Buto of Sureway Moving. Robert was very pushy and not a good listener. He made a BIG deal about being very careful about who we hired to do this move because of all the moving scammers out there. Ultimately, we made a decision to use Mr. Buto's services if he could provide us with a guaranteed pickup date (Feb 10) in Florida and a guaranteed delivery date (Feb 12) in Georgia.

When I asked Mr. Buto for a written Order for Service and Bill of Lading with guaranteed pickup and delivery dates and complete costs for a "fixed, not to exceed price" move he began to get nasty. He told me on the phone I did not need a Order for Service or a Bill of Lading (contract) for this move. He began mocking me and laughing when I informed him that he was required by law to provide these documents. Under pressure, he faxed me the documents but they were incomplete and did not include the correct name of the client not the required pickup and delivery date. This was just a few days before the planned move and I decided that I could not play Mr Buto's games. Later that afternoon I contracted with another mover who could (and did) provide the required documents.

When I spoke to Mr Buto later that afternoon and indicated we no longer needed his services he became very abusive and made some very serious threats. He also used some very vulgar language which was not very professional. Here is a copy of the email I sent him after that phone conversation:
--------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Buto,

As per our telephone this afternoon we are no longer in need of Sureway's services. When I spoke with you yesterday I asked you to prepare a contract (Bill of Lading) including costs, guaranteed pickup and delivery dates, the correct shipper's name and address and other information which you are required by law to provide. When I asked for these documents yesterday, you tried to convince me that they are unnecessary and you even laughed and mocked me when I indicated that you are required by law to provide clients with these documents.

When your son, Joe, finally faxed the documents they were incomplete. Both the Order for Service and the Bill of Lading had the incorrect shippers name and the guaranteed shipping and delivery dates were left blank. I called Joe immediately and explained that the documents were not correct or complete. He indicated he would make changes and fax first thing in the morning.

When I never received the promised documents I was forced to make a decision to go to another mover who indicated he could provide the documents in a timely fashion and the service we requested.

When I spoke to you by telephone this afternoon your demeanor was very unprofessional. You used some very abusive language and made some ridiculous accusations and very serious threats. I do thank you for displaying this poor behavior and unprofessional conduct PRIOR to our contracting with you to move our parents. We no longer need your services.

You might want to read the following Department of Transportation web site to learn more about your obligations as a profession mover and the clients rights and responsibilities as it relates to hiring a professional mover. I found this web site to be VERY informative and helpful.

http://www.protectyourmove.gov/consumer/consumer.htm

Sincerely,

Smart Consumer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am very thankful that Mr. Buto showed his lack of professionalism prior to hire him to move my parents. Please think twice before hiring Sureway Moving. Mr. Buto has a very nasty temperament and does not know the meaning of "customer service".

My parents move was completed today and we are VERY happy with the services provided by the mover we did hire. Our mover was courteous, very professional and a very good listener.

Conspiracy

Postby Conspiracy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:56 am

I'm flat fooded so i can't be drafted to the Vietnam War. Sincewhen does it call for for an owner to respond on this board then all of a sudden a reference comes out to post... I sure they had many great moves, but the whole thing about a handicap mother is a krauk of shit. What a coinsidence that a person at the same happened to have a great move with a handicap mother sees this post and decides to reply. And the reply seems to be written as he/she is a mover. The whole point of hiring a moving company is for the person not to lift a thing. and if a man moved you 13 years ago and was "most courteous man." and you BELIEVE his name to be Chris. How dare you not have the courteous to remember his name. It's one thing to be EQUAL oppurtunity, and it's another to send a person who cant do the job.

Both sides of the story are fishy.
1 Person at Pickup could only stay 45mins
2 People at delivery (1 is handicap)

What was the person's handi-cap? I bowl a mean 265.
I like how all the new guest dropped on this and aHarris only posted once

It's like i see Sureway in FLand i think what the hell have you done interstate wise since 1998 besides not filing your taxes and your HOUSEHOLD GOODS COMMON CARRIER has been REINSTATED so many times. CLICKY CLICK

robert buto

Postby robert buto » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:01 pm

none
Last edited by robert buto on Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Report A Scam”