*CHANGING SPACES Moving in Birmingham, AL

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
cce

*CHANGING SPACES Moving in Birmingham, AL

Postby cce » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:59 pm

Does anyone have experience with a moving company called "CHANGING SPACES" in Birmingham, Alabama? Thank you!

farrah7031

Re: CHANGING SPACES Moving in Birmingham, AL

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:44 pm

Are you sure it's not this company?

--Changing Your Latitude (independent) in Birmingham. [Formerly Changes in Latitude.]
This company has MC #369953, website www.changesinlatitude.com and phone 205-995-5557. As of 8/07 it had 3 BBB complaints over the past 36 months.
In 8/07 "ralphhhh" posted a rave review of the company for a large (two-truck) move to VA - "They were careful, caring individuals who were funny and good company" - CYL's quote was the lowest of three and substantially less than a van line agent's:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14661 (interstate)

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:47 pm

Nevermind, I found it:

CHANGING SPACES MOVING, INC.
130 Inverness Plaza, #243
Birmingham, AL 35242

http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

http://centralalabama.bbb.org/WWWRoot/R ... m=19004054

Are you looking to move locally or out of state? I don't think anyone here has commented on them before.

cce

Postby cce » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:12 pm

No, "Changing Spaces" is a locally owned company at Inverness Plaza (you got the address correct). They seem like a good company, but their quote was substantially lower than "Changing Your Latitude." (Both companies came to my house to do a quote.) That's why I wanted to know if anyone has heard of them???

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:08 pm

They appear fine for a local move.

cce

Postby cce » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:13 pm

Thanks Farrah7031!!

cce

Postby cce » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:16 pm

Oh wait, I just realized you said "local" move-- sorry. We are moving out of state and need a full service mover to pack our whole house and then move us out of state. Is there any reason you think Changing Spaces might not be a good company for an out of state move? I was just surprised by how much lower their quote was than the other companies, but they seem good. Thanks again...

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:57 pm

Well then, let's compare the 2 estimates. What is the weight of each estimate, the price, the valuation (if included), is the packing included?

cce

Postby cce » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:13 pm

That is the interesting thing- they both seem to be for the same services. Neither company based the estimate on weight. They both came and did a careful room-by-room inventory of the house, even looking in all cabinets and closets. Both took careful notes, and were very courteous and professional. The price for one was $4,500.00 and the other was $6,900.00 This includes all packing materials, men packing the entire house from scratch, and moving to the next state. This also includes loading all boxes into the new house and re-assembling all furniture, like beds and wardrobes. Both estimates also include disposal of all packing materials that they have to use to transport these items. The only difference I can see is that the more expensive company threw in $50,000 insurance coverage on our belongings, while the cheaper company offers just .60 per pound per article of insurance (though he didn't quote the move based on a weight.) I told the more expensive company about the cheaper quote, and he said he couldn't figure a way to get his price down any more....Both are local companies that have the same men that pack your first house unload at your new house in the next state, which sounds great to me. They will be familiar with our stuff from packing it up.

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:36 pm

You really can't compare the rates and services of two companies without reviewing their tariffs. Since January 1, 2008, each licensed interstate mover must file their own unique pricing so it might not be an apples-to-apples comparison.

Jim

Postby Jim » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:39 pm

I would be VERY wary of the lower quote. I would go out and get a 3rd quote given the large variance between the two you have; if that quote is closer to the $6900, my guess is that you should toss the $4500 quote in the shredder. The fear you should have is that the cheap move in reality may not stay at $4500, and could go much higher, and higher than $6900.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:26 pm

Neither of those companies are affiliated with Van Lines (to my knowledge), and probably do not do a whole bunch of interstate moves. I personally know the operations manager and many people who have moved with Changing your Latitude (including my grandparents on a local move) and they all said they are a great company. My guess would be the other company botched the estimate due to a lack of experience with long distance moves. I doubt they would scam you or even try to charge extra, but there is a chance they will perform your move out of anger knowing they got a bad deal. I would go with Changing your latitude.

Birmingham has a lot of small startup moving companies run by honest people, that might not be well equiped to handle a large interstate move. My guess would be many of these companies don't even know a Tarriff is required. Changing your Latitude is an exception to this, but I would be careful about other small independents. Especially if your moving a lot of stuff.

LLP

Re: *CHANGING SPACES Moving in Birmingham, AL

Postby LLP » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:46 pm

Hey guys. I have some clarification. Changing Spaces Moving, Inc. is a Birmingham, AL local and family owned company that is fully licensed, insured, and bonded. They perform residential and commercial moves locally and are also a long distance hauler, meaning they do go out of state. In fact a majority of their business is long distance moving. They were awarded first place in 2006 and 2007 for Truck Safey by the Alabama Trucking Association, "Best in Business" in 2008 by the Birmingham Business Journal, and listed in the "Fastrack 25" by the Birmingham Business Journal showing that they are one of Birmingham, Alabama's fastest growing companies. Changing Spaces Moving honors their quotes and as you can see from the awards mentioned above have proven to be a reputable company. Changing Spaces Moving has their own written tariff and will remain in compliance with intra- and inter- state rules. The Tariff may be viewed as requested. In this case, the scam might have beeen the higher price, however, it was probably a good move on your part to do your homework and compare rates and check company reputations, credibility, and character to ensure that you get the highest quality work done for the buck. Hope this helps!

P.S. Their website is www.changingspacesmoving.com
Lori

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:50 pm

LLP, I don't understand. Why don't you just say that you work for Changing Spaces Moving and state your case instead of pretending to be a non employee or somebody that does not have anything to do with this company?
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

LLP

Postby LLP » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:43 pm

Hi rydog444, you are good! I am a very proud employee of the company. You know they say you can't feel bad about selling a good product. By the way, I forgot to mention that you can see our customer testimonials and list of awards at www.changingspacesmoving.com.
Lori

Return to “Open Community”