*Bekins / Seacure Moving - South Jersey to Bay Area, CA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
sfc321

*Bekins / Seacure Moving - South Jersey to Bay Area, CA

Postby sfc321 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:48 pm

I'm glad I found this site!

I'm moving from South Jersey outside of Atlantic City to the Bay Area, CA. Considering using Seacure Moving, agent for Bekins. Any experience with Bekins or Seacure?

Company is quoting me 72% off tariff. How's that sound? Could I get more?

Thanks,
Steve

Big Dog

Re: Bekins / Seacure Moving - South Jersey to Bay Area, CA

Postby Big Dog » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:02 pm

72%? What the he-- is this business coming to? Don't shippers realize that in this business you get what you pay for. Sure, ask for 75% or 80%. What kind of driver will haul this shipment @ this discount? Probably a brand new one, ie: rookie, that doesn't know his operating expenses. I know I would not be able to find a driver in my van line. In fact if my Agency was asked to service this shipment, I would turn it down, without a second thought!!! 8)

weem

Re: *Bekins / Seacure Moving - South Jersey to Bay Area, CA

Postby weem » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:57 pm

I was a competitor for over 20 years---they are or were not scammers and very price competitive. Workers ok but a little on the rough side- not a bad choice for that area---get a quote from Wares in Vineland for a comparison.

JMillerFL

Postby JMillerFL » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:17 am

Sorry BigDog welcome to 2008. From what I am hearing this is becoming the norm with the discount levels. If the van lines let them get away with it what incentive does the salesperson have to try and sell at a lower discount? They make less commission but the mentality is that some is better than none. Pricing is out of control but it is no the customers fault or problem. If you can get quality service from a major van lines at a 72%+ discount why would they say no.

Customers aren't killing our industry our own companies are. :(

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:57 am

You got that right ( we have met the enemy, and he is us) We let a person with no stake in the future of our industry or even a stake in his own personal company ( the salesman on the street) set the price in an industry that doesn't know how to figure their costs....unreal.

I quit making estimates about 12 years ago. The max discount then was 55%. I rarely ever went over 50, in fact 50 was my gag point. I didn't book them all, but I booked my share. Salesmen today ( and I'm including the ones we have too) start at the max discount from the minute they walk in the door. Then they beg their sls mgr to let them go up a point or two, then they shave the weight a little, and then the packing. And before you know it, a nice profitable move, has turned into just another wasted event. You do some packing from free ( BNTE), you move some weight for free ( BNTE) and then the driver is unhappy, or worse, doesn't even have room for it all and leaves an overflow. Then the salesperson is unhappy, his commission is lowered. ( those packers balooon packed again is usually the comment) Then the shipper is unhappy, then the claim comes thru later, usually more than it should be, and there you have it. Had the salesperson sold professional service, instead of price, everybody could have made money, instead of the opposite. It never fails to bother me, we move people out of $800,000 houses, and assume that they cannot or will not pay just alittle for professional service.......I wonder if they all are cheap, or if the moving salesperson just didn't really 'sell' their respective services.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:08 am

Archie: Good post. I couldn't agree with you more. I own 2 agencies & I set the discount level, with the salesman's input. If the salesman sells over the discount level, his commission is reduced. We run the numbers on each job, & if we can't make a reasonabel profit, we WALK AWAY from the job. Why work your ass off twice as hard to make the same $$ before the higher discount? Face it Archie, most of these salesmen nowdays are ORDER TAKERS. I wonder how many of them actually "sell" their agent/van lines services? 8)

sfc321

Postby sfc321 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:42 pm

Weem: Thanks for the recommendation on Wares in Vineland. They're now owned by McCollisters. Price was pretty close, just a couple hundred $$ higher than Bekins/Seacure. I'll just go with Bekins/Seacure.

Steve

weem

Postby weem » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:24 pm

When I lived in Mystic Wares was owned by Mike Greenblat who was CEO of United Van Lines. Mcollisters is an excellent United agent-----for a FEW hundred $ more .....think about it. You have 2 levels to compare --Sea-cure vs Mcollisters as agents and United verses Bekins as van lines...There is a clear winner here on both levels regarding quality.

On the other hand Sea-cure is not a scammer either.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:09 pm

If your going to play that game weem why dont you tell the shipper that McCollisters is primarily a special products moving company and not a HHG moving company. Yes they have the capability and trucks, but most of their business, especially in NJ is spec com.

When I worked for them here, it was a constant battle trying to get COD shipments booked and picked up by drivers without having them APU every one of them first.

Personally I think either one would be a good choice.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

weem

Postby weem » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:26 pm

Not playing any game here Micheal-----didn't work for either and don't live in jersey having moved overt 5 years ago to Md. I lived within 5 mile of Sea-Cure for over 20 years.

What do you find wrong with this statement?-"Sea-cure vs Mcollisters as agents and United verses Bekins as van lines...There is a clear winner here on both levels regarding quality."

ssummer

Postby ssummer » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:49 am

sfc321: Have you done your move yet? How did Seacure work out for you? I've got them schedule for a local move (just a few miles down the road) in a couple of weeks. They were extremely price competitive with me as well...and you know the old saying...'you get what you pay for'. Wouldn't mind some reassurance.

promover2

Postby promover2 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:36 pm

Archie,

That's a great post. What baffles me is that the salespeople want more guaranteed money, car expense, fuel, meals, etc., plus they want to give max discounts on every job. I went back to selling last year because we couldn't afford the salespeople we had, they were bringing in less than they sold. Granted, the industry is slow, but they won't give up the guaranteed money.

The problem is that you might sell the job at a respectable discount (55%-65% these days on a 400-N tariff or similar), then some guy who is looking to fill out his trailer, coupled with the fact that he's going through your customer's destination city, he can sell the job at 75% because it's all profit. Even worse, some gypsy company from the internet can sell the job at 80% because he's got an empty truck in town and needs "just enough to cover fuel" to get back home.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:41 pm

Yeah, someday I'll tell you how Jimmy Carter ruined the trucking industry, but you'll have to read fast, not everybody agrees with me and it might get edited.

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:36 am

I would agree that Jimmy Carter deregulating trucking increased competition and pricing is getting worse every year. Let’s not forget the current van line model was created at a time when there was very little competition. The same thing happened with the Truck load and LTL segments a long time ago. The household goods segment was able to hold on a little longer because moving is more involved.

The behavior witnessed by COD salesman, is the natural result of increasing competition.

Return to “Open Community”