First Quarter Volume

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Rick

First Quarter Volume

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:03 pm

Smatwilly indicated in another post that their agency's YTD volume has been more promising than what Wall Street is reporting. Seems several large and small carriers are reporting similar results - at least early in the first quarter - and particularly in the South.

Is most of this increase local moves, commercial/office jobs, regional/self hauls or long distance relocations?

Are your sales efforts being affected in any way by consumer confusion regarding the new federal pricing requirements?

chaz4moving

Re: First Quarter Volume

Postby chaz4moving » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:08 pm

Personally, my January numbers for the number of interstate moves for 2008 were more than double what I booked in January 2007. Of course, I must have been giving away the store because my revenue was only up 60%. LOL Actually, the additional jobs had to be smaller shipments. I did the oricing at similar discount levels to last year. My closing ratio was about the same, as well, so the opportunities were obviously better. In a down economy, that's always nice to hear.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:35 pm

Our first quarter has been slower than normal for military relocations. COD bookings are up, but over half of them change dates several times, and it's causing our dispatchers fits to try to dispatch loads that are constantly changing.

With the current situation as fluid, we're considering many other options.

Though under the anti-trust regulations, no one is supposed to talk about pricing, sales people always seem to know what the competition is doing.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:37 pm

That has to put a smile in your wallet, Chaz. It begs the question, though, about why are that many people moving out of the area during a traditionally slow month. The smaller shipment size seems to be consistent across the board - even for military moves.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:27 am

BigLee, as I understand it, it's only illegal for competing movers to talk about pricing between themselves. If a customer tells you what kind of pricing they gotr from your competition, that's OK. So, as you can imagine, salespeople are pumping their customer for all the information they can get. The end result is that yhou get a pretty good idea of what the competition is doing and work accordingly. I've always tried not to worry too much about what the competition was doing anyway. I figure I'm smarter and a better salesperson than them. I don't need to learn or participate in any of their bad habits or unrealistic pricing.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:16 am

OK, over against the wall, and spreadem.....you are all under arrest.

smatwilly

Postby smatwilly » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:22 pm

Our first quarter - of course it isnt complete until the end of March is ahead of last years but as far as the revenue I dont know yet----I would like to think its above last years.

Out of all the estitmates I have done so far this year I have not had one customer ask about the changes in the tariff---It may be the area I am in too - being in Maine, people really tend to choose someone they feel is honest & has direct answers to their questions--price is of course the biggest issue---I am not always the cheapest-usually the middle but what I offer for service is well above the other companies. People here are more trusting--I also dont believe they even know or understand the "tariff". I dont get into how we price moves because they simply want to know what their price is & if they will pay more than I quote---since I always up the weight I tell them they will most likely pay less than more---which is the case 99% of the time. We are not in a lg metro area & even with the higher educated people (dr's, attny's etc) I notice they put their trust in me saying that it is my job to educate & inform them of how the move & price is based. I have had some people that say my price is higher & when I ask what the other estimates weight is based on they usually tell me--so we can compare apples to apples--I will then give them a price based on their other estimates weight---some people think they know about the discount & say "well so & so gave me a 60% discount" - I usually tell them that I could give them a 100% discount if they wanted--that isnt nec. the bottom line price-----course the 100% discount wont be from the l/h!! The average discount in our area for lets say a 15,000 lb move going 2000 miles is about 62% - bottom line.
Price is a big factor but proving you are honest usually beats it.

smatwilly

Rick

Postby smatwilly » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:27 pm

my increased sales are COD - Inter-State moves--the goals they set here are for the inter-state moves with NAVL - As I said in my previous post--I have not once been questioned about the new pricing with van lines. Nobody seems to know anything about it - even people who have moved many times---In Jan & Feb 08 I sign 5 Transportation Agreements -(contracts) with companies & none of them mentioned the new tariff or change from the old ways we price moves.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:22 pm

Sounds like the people up in Maine have been eating too much Chowda
(or is that Massachusetts, I get those yankee states confused?)

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:52 pm

December was the worst month I've had in 15 years and thankfully Jan and Feb picked up in terms of appts appreciably- However, my closing ratio is down a chunk and I believe the culprit right now MIGHT have something to do with our rates . There seems to be a nervous feeling in the air amongst my competition as in any slower period- one of two NAVL agents closed their doors recently- but business doesn't seem to be as bad as CNN and the local real estate outlook portray-

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:00 pm

Which NAVL agent closed in San Diego, Chris? I would like to update the Superlist.

blue

Postby blue » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:19 pm

Jan and Feb interstate bookings up 17% over same period 2007. Local work dead. Too many easy/cheap alternatives for the move across town in a tight economy.

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:52 pm

I doubt they were on it- Republic North American

JMillerFL

Postby JMillerFL » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:22 pm

Smatwilly, I need to move to Maine if you can book jobs at 15,000lbs at a 62% discount. Down here we have the major carriers going 70-72% on everything I see them pricing. On a 15,000lb job out of Orlando you had better be at 69%+ or you are wasting your time going out on the quote. Trust me I have been dealing with it Since Jan 1st. :?

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:26 pm

I am not sure how this works, but if home depot lays off 500 people at hq in Atlanta, there is now 500 people who need somewhere to work. With the economy slow and more people looking for jobs than people looking to hire, I thought it could make sense for people to get desperate and start looking nationwide for a job. This would end up in an interstate relocation. Just a theory, might not be correct.

Return to “Open Community”