< 1000lb move from California to Oklahoma

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Ed

< 1000lb move from California to Oklahoma

Postby Ed » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:21 pm

Hello to all the kind people out here..

Before proceeding, let me first thank the founder and all the moderators for doing all you can to help your friends and neighbors from getting scammed. Thank you for your efforts.

I previously had no experience in moving and the moving related activity... absolute zilch would be a fitting description, I guess.
I did just what this site warned - looked for a mover on the internet, filled up forms, asked for quotes etc. till a friend referred me to this site.

After extensively studying all the reviews, how the moving business works and movers who were endorsed for northern california, I promptly ditched the internet movers and called Moovers Inc which had so many positive reviews. But unfortunately, Anthony from Moovers told me they had a min of 2000 lbs and the quote I received was for nearly $1,800.

Currently, I don't have much furniture (already disposed off all of it), just a queen mattress with the box spring, a 27" TV (not the flat panel type), 3 pieces of luggage not more than 80 lb each and 2-3 medium boxes of kitchenware.
Katrina from Champion Movers (internet mover/packer) estimated this to be around 600-800lbs max and gave me a quote for a min of 1000 lbs for $824.
This is the estimate for the move from Foster City, CA to Oklahoma City, OK sometime mid march.

I then contacted another mover who had received substantial positive reviews here - Piedmont Moving Systems (Mayflower) in San Jose. But they too said I was too small for them to take up and inturn referred me to Navis pack and ship with positive reviews.
I see that Navis was referred to on this site in another thread started by a light mover like myself. With this confidence, I contacted them. John, the person who was estimating, was very helpful but he was clear that they were not a "full service mover" and while the base charge was only around $1000, everything else was extra.
The total estimate for a decently serviced move ie pick up, delivery with 2 flights of stairs, 2nd man, inside delivery etc comes up to $1300.

Now, I did not mention this to the movers, but my employer is funding my relocation to the tune of $1200. Though everything above that is from my pocket and I am willing to pay for it, it is usually a hassle with additional approval that I have to present for reimbursement (they basically send me on a run around even though they pay me only $1200 in the end) so I would rather avoid that.

The only people who meet that criterion are the internet movers -
Champion movers Inc, Fremont, CA and Better Way to Move, Sunnyvale, CA.

Jack from Better Way to Move spoke to me and infact even agreed to a visual estimation on Sunday.
Champion, Better Way and Navis, all agreed to give a binding estimate with the information I had given them.

Jack (Better Way) based on the information, estimated it to be around $800 but it was without the add-ons - pick up, delivery, stairs/elevator etc.

Sorry for making this too long, but if any of you could take a look at this and give me any feedback and reviews abt the movers mentioned here, it would be immensly helpful.
I am particularly looking for inputs on the internet movers (Champion and Better Way) and Navis.
Are there any industry people who know abt them or customers like me who have used them before?

Thanks to all replies in advance.
I appreciate all that you are doing to help fellow citizens.

- Ed[/b]

farrah7031

Re: < 1000lb move from California to Oklahoma

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:44 pm

Oh you're talking about A Better Way 2 Move: They've only been licensed to do interstate moves since 07/07.

http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

They already have 8 complaints at the BBB:
http://sanjose.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.a ... irm=236464

Sell your mattress/box spring and TV and bring the other stuff with you when you either drive or fly. That's the best way.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:24 pm

Did Piedmont tell you that they do mostly electronics and special products. There is another Mayflower Agent in the vicinity. Mont/Rose Mayflower is an excellent agent.
1585 MABURY RD, UNIT A
SAN JOSE, CA 95133
Telephone: (408) 929-7100

Mayflower normally has a 2100 lb minimum, but with it being so slow, they may waive it, and do it a 1000 lb minimum.

There's also Suddath United in San Jose, and McCollisters, which both have large hauling fleets.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:49 pm

I agree with Farrah. You could also try www.uship.com Keep in mind that a number of companies on that site are neither licensed nor insured. However, in my opinion if you choose one with excellent reviews you should be OK. You could take the truly irreplaceable things with you on the plane (or in your car if you're driving) and send the rest such as the bed and TV with the uship company. I think $1200 should cover it.

sn2002bt

Postby sn2002bt » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:24 am

My situation is very similiar to yours. Please post your final actions after you talk with those people. It will benefit a lot of people with small load move. Thanks.

Is Navis this company? am I at the right site?

http://navisaustin.reachlocal.com/coupo ... 526lr%253D

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:09 am

Of the crating/packaging/shipping companies that operate nationwide, I think Navis has the best reviews and comments here - better than Box Brothers or ShipSmart. However, with all these companies, costs may be higher than anticipated and I believe that the only "insurance" offered is 10 cents/pound. After packaging, the items are transported by freight companies like ABF and Yellow Freight. Customers have to make sure that they understand all the extra charges that may be involved, such as for inside delivery and debris removal. For used household goods such as a bed and TV, the replacement cost of the items may not be enough to justify the shipping cost with a company like Navis. From what I have seen posted here, the most satisfied customers have been those shipping high-value items such as antique furniture.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Ed

Postby Ed » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:28 pm

Thank you all for your replies.

To answer:
I will be travelling by flight (tickets again provided by the employer]
But taking excess baggage would mean another run around and again, its not funded. So I felt of the two options, using a mover/packer would be cheaper ie pay for any moving costs over and above the $1200 limit as against paying fully for all my excess baggage that I would take on a flight [the run around seems inevitable now :(( ]

Once I settled for the mover/packer option, I figured no one's going to give me a quote for lesser than 1000lbs anyway, so I might as well take the bed and tv which I have been unable to dispose off till now. And that is how I landed at this site looking for a mover with the current list of items.

Thank you Farrah for the link. I don't think I will go with Better Way to Move anymore.
Similar is the case with Champions Movers: has 13 complaints
http://goldengate.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Repor ... irm=153891

Called up Mont/Rose too (Thanks to BigLeeCalif for the inputs) but its the weekend, so I guess I will have to wait till Monday.
Here is Mont/Rose's report -
http://sanjose.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.a ... irm=199961
Unaccredited but with only 2 complaints, both unacknowledged by the customer (??)

And here is an interesting site I found related to Mont/Rose
http://www.mayflowermove.com/

Suddath United and McCollister's Transportation Systems seem to be too big for my sized move. I have filled up a quote form at Suddath though.
Also currently setting up my move details on uship.com. It seems to be some sort of auction site with movers bidding for providing the service.
Has anyone used it before? How has their experience been?

As of now, I guess Navis seems to be the only viable option.

Ed

Postby Ed » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:24 pm

sn2002bt:
As told to me by John, the Navis webpage is

www.gonavis.com

And
www.navisPS.com

sn2002bt

Postby sn2002bt » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:31 pm

Ed wrote:sn2002bt:
As told to me by John, the Navis webpage is

www.gonavis.com

Thanks Ed for the link, will call one of their local agents on Monday. They are closed during weekend.

Ed

Postby Ed » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:15 pm

After a discussion, John at Navis has helpfully worked out a better price for me based on my somewhat smaller load.
The base price for 600lbs has been calculated at $750.

Here is the break up:

Qty Per Unit ESTIMATE: Based On

600 $1.25 Transport $750.00 600 lbs Ground Delivery

Ins $0.00 3% of Value of Coverage

1 $95.00 Matrls $95.00 Pallette

1 $35.00 Lbr $35.00 1 pallette prepration

Del $0.00 Inside Delivery-Optional-$185

Pick Up $95.00 Foster City

Stairs/Elev $95.00 At delivery in OK

2nd man $65.00

Tax $8.08

TOTAL $1,143.08

If I add insurance for $1000 plus inside delivery at destination, the total would come up to $1,358

I received this quote after many questions about individual charges and the fine print (note the Pallette and its preparation charge).
I guess asking all the questions and knowing abt all the charges makes a lot of difference.

John has also helpfully thrown in a couple of boxes for free.
I probably would also need additional packing materials, so the price at the end would probably go up to $1,500 (my own estimate).

If anyone in this business/profession on this site is aware of any other additional charge that may crop up, let me and the others know.
Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:25 pm

Hi - the quote seems to have covered everything, assuming that the weight with packaging doesn't go over 600 pounds. I just wonder whether it is worth it to use Navis for $1500 when you could use Moovers Inc. for $1800 and probably get much quicker delivery, if that matters to you. Also, does inside delivery include debris removal? It's not easy to get rid of those big pallets. I would ask Moovers whether they could possibly do the move for less than $1800, telling them about your Navis quote.

If you do use Navis, please come back and report. Also, I would appreciate having the Navis rep's contact info if you could send it to me in a PM or post it.

Ed

Postby Ed » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:47 pm

I actually hadn't considered it till you brought it up.
I see that Moovers is a full service provider with a flat rate of $1,800 that is, they don't nickel and dime you for everything.

Moovers has sent me the forms to fill up and fax them. Let me do that on monday to see if I can get a good quote/estimate.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:59 pm

Also tell them about the Navis quote in case there is some wiggle room in their price.

Ed

Postby Ed » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:33 pm

Update:
I am yet to hear from Moovers. Since at this late hour, I need to decide quickly, I settled on Navis.
When contacted, I got a clarification from John, that debris removal is included. The TV and bed packaging would roughly cost an additional $100.
So the complete quote now comes up to $1,426.38 excluding insurance (as much as I estimated earlier).

During all this, I also received a call from NorthStar Moving from LA.
Miral spoke to me and suggested in a friendly manner that if I would like to, she will go through what I have and send me another quote.
She calculated for a min of 1000 lbs and estimated it to be around $1,200.

Since I would rather go with a recommended mover than save a couple of bucks, I only asked for the quote and thanked her.
But what caught my eye was NorthStar is a full service mover. Their quote for 1000 lbs was $895.00 and this included
(from their email)
1) door to door transportation.
2) wrapping and protecting the furniture at your home.
3) making a list of everything that we load on our truck.
4) driving it to the delivery address and unloading your belongings into your new home, office or storage facility.

Here is what is extra.
1) packing supplies.
2) packing services.
3) anything that keeps the truck away from the front of your door such as elevators, stairs or a long carry.
Each flight of stairs (one flight=7 steps) will add $20.00 per 1,000 lbs.
An elevator will add $20.00 per 1,000 lbs.
Each long carry will add $20.00 per 1,000 lbs (a long carry means that the distance between our truck and your door is more than 75 ft.
Each additional full 50 ft will be considered another long carry).
A shuttle (if we cannot access your location with a semi-truck) will add $150 for a small truck + $75 an hour for a 2 men crew.

4) If you will not be ready for delivery right away and would like to delay the start of your delivery window, please let us know before your pick up day.
We can move you to our storage in California first:
Our storage rates are $70 per 1,000 lbs a month. When you enter storage there will be a one time double handling fee of $50 per 1,000 lbs.
The first month of storage is free (the double handling fee will still apply).

She also gave me the below URL to point to the mover's A rating at the BBB
http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Busin ... D=13019167

So my question is, has anyone used NorthStar before or recommended them here?
NorthStar is more or less a fallback option I guess.
For all I know, the extras may very well push the cost up to what Navis has quoted.

Diane:
Here is the Navis contact
John Sandhu
650-365 8600

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:45 pm

Ed, customers have posted things here that indicate that the NorthStar prices would go up as a result of extra things being added in. I think they would probably end up at least as much as Navis.

I strongly suggest that you call Anthony again at Moovers Inc. at 925-288-0630 before signing final paperwork with Navis. Sometimes email requests get overlooked and a phone call at this juncture would really be best. If you give him your last name he can look up what you are shipping and see whether he can adjust the quote downward.

The reason I want to talk with the Navis guy is to find out more about Navis. We are always looking for companies that we can recommend for small moves like yours.

Return to “Open Community”