*College Student in a Jam

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Idella

*College Student in a Jam

Postby Idella » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:53 am

I'm a 20 year old college student or I was till I decided to leave my school. Now they want me out in a hurry but either way I'm going to have to stall. They say the 2nd of March, that's not going to happen, I can't find a moving company that fast atleast I don't think so. I'm going to need moving and storage, I'm trying to get a company that will both pick up and store my items for atleast 1-3 months. The majority of the items are in plastic storage binds, mainly art supplies, also I have a bunch of canvas stretchers that I don't want to throw away but if it comes to doing so I will.

So far from my web broswing I have

Chelsea Mini Storage
Divine Moving and Storage
Shea Moving company just in case I need to move and find storage else where
Moishe's Self Storage

I'm trying to get moving and storage or something that's like storage and pick up. Any other suggestions?

I only have about 500-1k to work with, I don't want to burn all my money since I'll be needing some to travel also.

rydog444

Re: College Student in a Jam

Postby rydog444 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:01 am

please give your items locations and where they will be moving to
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:23 am

Youch - your best bet is to sell everything you can. You can't get a full service mover and 3 months of storage for under $1000.

Idella

Postby Idella » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:36 am

farrah7031 wrote:Youch - your best bet is to sell everything you can. You can't get a full service mover and 3 months of storage for under $1000.

yeah thanks for the help *sarcasm*

I'll come back and list the items I have, I have to repack some of it.
At best I'll just need a mini storage, and 1-2 guys or even just a driver. I'm trying to get a storage close till I can come back with my own rental and move my stuff again. I can push my stuff to the street, I just need someone to put it in the truck and take it to a storage place. And some storage places have been pricings 30-60 dollars a month? Are these scams. The best deals seemed to come from the places I listed.

I live on lexington ave. btw 23rd and 24th street, New York, NY 1001

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:53 am

No need to be sarcastic, Farrah's right.

So you need a closet-sized storage? $30-60 might be right. I had a 10x10 in the DC metro area for $125 a month.

IMP

Postby IMP » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:43 am

NYC has some pretty tricky truck regs that may not allow you to hire just one guy to help. Where are you moving TO? Farrah is 100% right, for under $1,000 you won't find storage from an above-board moving & storage company. Self storage of any kind or size for $60/month in the NYC area would frighten me.
There are still good people who move good people.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:01 am

Contact Patti at Divine Moving in NYC. They are a local moving company only but have a long standing relationship with the art community in the City. Check out the storage section of their website or blog - www.divinemoving.com/blog.html

Idella

Re: *College Student in a Jam

Postby Idella » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:37 pm

Change of plan, I'd like to rent a van to move my stuff to a storage in virginia, I estimated about 200-300 dollars + gas and storage in Virginia, I go t some rates of 50-60 dollars again.

I would hire someone to transport my stuff, but that seems more expensive and I'm sure I couldn't do it for like 500 dollars?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:46 pm

Just keep in mind the cost of gas. Those trucks only get maybe 5 miles per gallon.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:50 pm

if it's an actual van it would be around 12 or so mpg. but a diesel truck is gonna be 5-7 mpg, depending on size and quality, age, etc. And have you seen the cost of diesel? I just paid 3.79 today.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:30 pm

Aren't there any mini storage facilities across the bride in Jersey that offer pickup services?

I'm in California, and I know some here actually will rent you a truck, or offer a truck and driver for a reduced rate if you store with them for a specified period. Don't know what they do on the East coast though.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”