Binding/Not to Exceed on an Hourly Quote

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
reptar

Re: Binding/Not to Exceed on an Hourly Quote

Postby reptar » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:22 pm

I just wanted to close this thread down with the conclusion of my move...it's been a helpful site so I wanted to ensure that I close the loop with my experience...
We ended up having a very good move with Morse Moving - North American Van Lines. The movers did a good job on both ends. The price I paid was what I was quoted even though the movers themselves felt that that we had more square footage than the sales guy based his qoute on. Good experience - would reccomend them..

Here's my only observation whcih may be of help to others in my market - CT...

I had no idea about the major consolidation of moving companies - North American, Allied and Mayflower are all under one holding company. They still operate with there own names and agents. This was not apparent to me when I was getting quotes. To complicate things even more, the agent names were consolidated in my particular case. I got a quote from a sales guy representing Morse Moving - North American with three addresses in CT. I got a qoute from West End Storage - Alllied with one address in CT. It turns out they all "exist" in the West End location. The movers, trucks, storage are all the same. In fact, even though I went with Morse Moving: North American I rec'd an Allied van. While I do understand the major van lines still having their identity, I am not clear why the agents have seperate sales guys with different letterhead..competing against each other even though the "product" (labor, facility, trucks) are all out of the same pool????

Oh well...still a good experience.. but knowing the above may have helped me look for qoutes that were from truly unique entities.
I noticed this site does not seem to highlight this nepotism in it's ratings of different agents/van lines- perhaps this can be done?
Thanks all for the help

joesgarage39

Postby joesgarage39 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:30 pm

I knwo it may be confusing but because one company will absorb another doesnt mean they wish to shut down those operations. Allied and NAVL are associated as well as United and Mayflower. It is not a bad thing but I understand your confusion. They rune spereate entities even though they work for the same area or building.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:37 pm

reptar,

This is actually news to me. I wasn't aware that when you book with a North American agent you could get a driver and truck from Allied Van Lines. :?:

I think you are mistaken, though, about Mayflower being connected with North American and Allied. Mayflower is connected with United under the UniGroup umbrella.

Thanks for this good review of Morse, which I'll add to the Superlist linked to under my name.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

reptar

Postby reptar » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:56 pm

Your right..sorry about that. NAVL, Allied, Global and Pickfords are under one umbrella - called Sirva. The other piece of Sirva is relocation services but the company as a whole is tanking - stock is at less than 10 cents and they just filed for chaper 11 bankruptcy
Intersting story behind this. Sirva was created through a private equity firm started by Jack Welch (GE fame). His firm took Sirva public but the fall of Sirva is also the story of how a private equity firm transformed a company, built it up, pocketed the returns, and then largely sold out before that company went off the tracks due mostly because of the relo biz not being a good place during a house and mortgage crisis.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:17 am

reptar,

Is this the company you used?

Morse Moving & Storage, Inc.
241 Pine St
Norwalk, CT 06850
(203) 846-8005

It appears that this company has become an Allied agent. From the BBB listing:

West End Moving & Storage Co., Inc.
Phone: (203) 367-4481, (203) 846-8005
Address: 241 Pine St
Bridgeport, CT 06605-2343

North American Van Lines has changed its website to make it impossible to search for an agent online, but it appears that Morse is no longer mentioned anywhere as a North American agent.

I am asking because I want to know how to post this review in the Superlist - what the true company name is.

Not sure why the city changed from Norwalk to Bridgeport with the same street address.

This would explain why an Allied truck was sent to pick up your things.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:27 am

In looking over this post, it was a local move in Connecticut. In actuality, none of the major van lines were involved in the move. reptar was working with the local moving company. To my knowledge, both West End and Morse are owned by the same people. Since it was a local move, I guess the truck painted with the Allied colors was the one available that day. As far as I know, Allied & northAmerican do not haul each other's interstate shipments. In the future, that may change. Does anyone know if Mayflower or United ever haul each other's shipments? When you think about it, with truck and driver shortages, it makes sense logistically. Of course, the customer will be totally confused, but I think it would make for better use of resources for the van lines. I'm not sure what amount of interstate business is actually controlled by the Big 5 (actually 3) van lines. My guess has always been around 70-75%. Of course, I may not even be close with that percentage. Does anyone know?

reptar

Postby reptar » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:33 pm

Hi Diane,
Yes - I used a Morse Moving sales rep. My sales guy actually has 3 addresses/phone numbers on his business card -Bridgeport, Stamford and Norwalk. Don't know what the purpose of the other addresses/phones are. I know Morse Moving - NAVL (prior to this consoldiation) were based in Norwalk. Prior to understanding this consolidation, I called the Norwalk number and still spoke to the Bridgeport (West End) people. In fact I went down to the Bridgeport warehouse for some boxes and ran into my sales guy so it appears the West End facility is where everyone works out of. I just do not understand why they sent two people from what is clearly the same agent to give me quotes for the exact same product/service resources etc.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:14 pm

Chaz4 Yes I know for a fact that Allied & NAVL "cross-haul" their tonnage. I've had it done to a few of my shipments, especially in the summer. I too agree, that with the driver shortage, it makes sense to do it. I fully explain it to my shipper when the van assignment is made, so they aren't surprized on loading day when orange loads instaed of red white & blue. 8)

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:34 am

If CT is a regulated state (I don't know), perhaps contact the regulatory agency overseeing household goods movers, and ask what their particular tariff (if they have one in place) addresses for local moves.

Here in California, movers are heavily regulated, and every written estimate is not-to-exceed, without exercising a statement of additional charges.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”