Crown Relocation?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Rachel123

Re: Crown Relocation?

Postby Rachel123 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:01 pm

OK, Crown Relocation's CA office is in Huntington Beach. Their DOT # is 998226 but there also seems to be something under 429061.

Anyway, I called them again and they sound really professional. They said they do use other vanlines if it is cheaper, but they have their own fleet too and all the Crown Relocations are the same company- whether in NY or CA. They used to be primarily international but now they do lots of domestic stuff too for the companies that they work with internationally (which means I guess that my company must like them well enough to keep using them domestically and internationally?)

The woman said they load stuff into crates and store it in the crates as opposed to a vault (is this bad?) and boxes/packing is ALL included in the service. They are sending someone out next week, but I like them because they don't have a high minimum weight. Help!

Ken

Re: Crowne Relocation?

Postby Ken » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:28 pm

Rachel,

The method that they are describing is not normally how household goods are transported cross country, but I do know companies that do this. Basically, they are treating these interstate moves as if they were international shipments.

I work with an agent in Washington DC who has us help service one of their accounts here in the Boston area. Every move for this account is handled in this manner - the items are packed and wrapped as if they were an international shipment, and then loaded into wooden crates. From thee, they use a common carrier (such as ABF or Yellow Freight) to transport the goods to a destination agent who then coordinates delivery. Unless the shipment is rather large, this can often be done at a more economical cost than a standard interstate move.

For the research team out there, this means that they may not have proper authority to transport goods interstate, as they are not necessarily the ones doing the shipping.

What I would be very careful about here, Rachel, is that Crown is willing to offer you sufficient coverage for your goods. I can easily see a scenario where Crown would assume no liability because they would claim that the common carrier damaged your goods... I think the basic liability for common carriers like this is $.10 per lb. (yes, that's ten cents per lb.). Granted, the basic liability for moving companies is usually only abot $.60 per lb., but you can purchase additional coverage.

If you do decide to go this route, please keep us all posted to let us know how you make out.

-Ken

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:35 pm

I share Ken's concerns, but I think this is an extremely interesting development. Does anyone know whether Crown is connected with United Van Lines in some way?

Rachel123

Re: Crown Relocation?

Postby Rachel123 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:08 pm

I don't have ALL the details about insurance, but I asked them that and they said they are fully insured, etc. (whatever that means, it may mean 10 cents a lb. or whatever you said). I will update you after they come out here for a home estimate.

For about 1,000-1,200 lbs. of stuff they said it should be in the $2,000-$2,300 dollar range, which is more than Northstar.... but better than the big van lines who would charge me as if I had 2100 lbs. of stuff. Plus, it sounds pretty full service.

Thanks again for all your help!

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:21 pm

I had the same question Diane, and the answer is no.... Crown has their own hauling fleet, and don't operate in this fashion.

They would run it through the valuemove system....

The United Crown is Crown Worldwide Moving & Storage in San Leandro, and Ontario...

I find it strange that a company that has it's own hauling fleet would normally sub out its moves... especially if they aren't van line affiliated. If that be the case, do they have broker authority?

My personal observation is whenever possible, if you have to use a mover, get one that can, at the very least, guarantee that the move will not be brokered to a third party mover... Best case would be them guaranteeing that they could haul it themselves...in writing.. Or the van line they represent...
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Ken

Postby Ken » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:28 pm

Diane,

Aside from the fact that Crown may happen to contract United agents for origin and destination agent work, I am not aware of any direct connection between Crown and United.

There are 2 United agents in California named Crown Worldwide Moving and Storage, but there is NO connection between these United agents and Crown Relocation.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:40 pm

You're absolutely right Ken...

Crown here specializes more in O&I rather than HHG, and they have more involvement with Int'l than we do.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:59 pm

I just think this service (if it turns out to be OK) may be of interest to a lot of people who come on this board, many of whom are single with very little furniture. Some don't even have the ABF linear foot minimum, which is about 1500 pounds.

Michael

Postby Michael » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:39 pm

Rachel,

If your company uses O'Neil, then that is one great reference. You have many people to ask for references that were moved by them. So yes get an estimate from them.

But like Tim mentioned get at least two more "in-home" quotes.

And yes Tyrone, O'Neil is an agent for United.

And 23, I would advise you stop smoking or at least inhaling whatever it is your smoking. Or better yet, clean your glasses once in awhile, lmao.

Best of luck Rachel
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Rachel123

Postby Rachel123 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:04 pm

Arrgh, well O'Neil quoted me about $3300 for 1500lbs of stuff... that sounds rather expensive. I am still waiting for my in home estimate from Crown.

Anyone familiar with Suddath United? They are another option, although I can't see why they'd be cheaper than O'Neil since they are both United.

bostonguy

Postby bostonguy » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:34 pm

I've used Crown Relo for two cross-country moves. They are awesome. About 35% more expensive than the typical van line but highly recomended. I originally got their name from a number of investment banks that use them for their top bankers.

Again, it will be pricey - but when I had issues with one or two small items that had been damaged, they immediatly paid the claim. Their people are top notch and they do a great job of packing and moving your stuff really professionally.

I would call them a very very high-end mover with high end customer service

One general warning: our friends used a van line recently and the truck caught fire and exploded on an interstate in Texas. Driver was ok but all of their stuff was lost. They had not videotaped their stuff. Make sure you videotape your belongings before they are packed - will make the claims process easier

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:14 pm

Rachel,

Your right. It wouldnt be much different cost wise. The only advantage Suddath would have is its capability to self haul, thus maybe, I repeat, "maybe" giving you a higher discount.

Bostonguy,

You will find here on the board how leary we are of people that come on out of the blue and recommend a company that just so happens to be talked about on a message board, glorifying their services.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Smdsac

Postby Smdsac » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:13 pm

FWI - in a move from northern California to Seattle area using Mayflower, we were set up to have Crown on the Seattle end for domestic. For whatever reason, Rainier was used. But this was household/domestic. -S

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:32 pm

Smdsac...

If you booked through Mayflower, Rainier would have been the Mayflower agent to have been the destination agent.

The only time the van line can use an agent from the other van line is if there is not one for the prime van line.

In another matter related to using ABF, and the other dity carriers, make sure to be aware that you do need to hire local moving helpers/loaders to load for you... If your reserved space is 10 linear feet, that means that space is reserved for you floor to ceiling... If you just do loose stacking, or as movers call it line loading, you use more space, and the cost will go up.. the carrier could care less if you stack to the ceiling. Sometimes if you get an estimate for 10 linear feet, experienced loaders can condense it to 8 or so... end result, savings to you....

Tim if it looks like my ip # is jumping from place to place, it's because I use an unattended pc when it is left alone... lol

Smdsac

Postby Smdsac » Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:54 am

Hi Lee,

I left you another message from the other post or message you sent me. Yes, Rainier was on this end. (That was one happy, helpful driver, let me tell you!)

The problem was, everyone was pointing the finger at everyone else. And the average layperson doesn't know who is owned by what or whom. The biggest problem were the packers - whom I believe were from our home company. They simply refuse to deal with it, as I said. Grr. -Sue

Return to “Open Community”