Moving Into ABF Trailer ??? - San Jose CA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
scmtman

Moving Into ABF Trailer ??? - San Jose CA

Postby scmtman » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:34 pm

So I've been looking at local moving companies for our move from the Los Gatos Mt.'s into the ABF trailer at the ABF transfer station.
Our access is poor so at maximum a 24' truck can enter out property.

I have contacted a company 'South Bay Moving' that I found on CL. They are licensed and their # is 219221. But I can't find any information on them besides their craigslist add.
I have searched this site and google, but found nothing. THeir prices are good, and the person on the phone was friendly, but I am a bit apprehensive about depending on a Company I can not find anything about.
This is particularly so, b/c I am flying to our new home the day after the ABF loading, and will be with my wife, cat and 8 week old baby. So I do not want any problems.

Has anyone heard of this company before? Or does anyone else have any reccomendations for this type of local move in San Jose.

I appreciate any reccomendations.

farrah7031

Re: Moving Into ABF Trailer ??? - San Jose CA

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:44 pm

This is all I find for South Bay Movers:
http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/tmis/det_MTR0168612.htm

Is that the company? If not, they're not licensed.

I'd contact Moovers at www.mooversinc.com or Delancey Street Movers.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:13 pm

What exactly is an ABF trailer? Is that a company or a method? Are they a better choice than hiring a mover?

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:06 pm

ABF is a freight company. They have trailers and cubes that you can ship things in: www.upack.com

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:52 am

It's one of the "you pack the trailer with your stuff and we drive it to your new house" companies.

scmtman

Postby scmtman » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:22 pm

worldtraveler wrote:What exactly is an ABF trailer? Is that a company or a method? Are they a better choice than hiring a mover?

Thank you for staying on topic? And there is something called 'search' too.

scmtman

Postby scmtman » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:27 pm

farrah7031 wrote:This is all I find for South Bay Movers:
http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/tmis/det_MTR0168612.htm

Is that the company? If not, they're not licensed.

I'd contact Moovers at www.mooversinc.com or Delancey Street Movers.

I don't think that link you provided is the same company. I will ask them on Mon., but this company is located by San Jose not LA.

The one who answered their phone said their license # is 219221. Is there any website where I can search that #???

And I did check with Dalancy and Moovers, but they want to charge more than I was hoping for.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:37 pm

http://www.thecmsa.org/html/consumers/s ... amover.htm

If your move is within California, you can use this link to connect to the California Moving & Storage Association. Their website will give you information on how to check out California based movers.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:06 pm

That is not a valid license number for the state of CA using the website Chaz listed above.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:15 pm

Personal experience has taught that the longer it takes to find info about a company, the less legitimate they are.

The only South Bay Moving on craigslist has a cell phone number of (408) 661-7783. Here’s what Jaabu had. Note the reference to Jackie’s Moving.

Name:ray
Mail: jackiesmovinggmail.com
Phone: 4086617783
Price: $69

Google shows Southbay Moving Services with locations in San Jose and Santa Clara. The first is a vacant residence; the second a vacant commercial property. Both phone numbers are the same.

Southbay Moving Services
5175 Sandy Ln
San Jose, California 95124
(408) 379-3840

and

Southbay Moving Services
1255 Memorex Dr
Santa Clara, CA 95050 map
(408) 379-3840

According to State Corporation records, California has suspended the license of South Bay Moving Services, Inc. This mean that this “California corporation (C2504000) has lost all rights and powers for failure to meet statutory filing requirements of either the Secretary of State's office or the Franchise Tax Board”.

While looking for this info, stumbled across a Bay area labor only service called Help-U-Move They were established in Pleasanton 1994 and have CPUC Permit # MTR0184937 for moving services. They have an office in San Jose. Don’t know a thing about them. http://onsmartpages.com/helpumove/services/

Advantage Moving and Storage in Milpitas has a five star rating in Yelp. Their local rates used to be close to what South Bay is currently advertising. They are a quality company. http://www.themovingadvantage.com/

scmtman

Postby scmtman » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:43 am

Thanks for all the info. I had the same feeling that if it is this hard to find anything out about the company how reputable can they be.
The link you provide chaz should be really helpfull. I will call some folks today and let you all know how it turns out.

Return to “Open Community”