moving from chicago to Stone Mountain, GA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Diane

Re: moving from chicago to Stone Mountain, GA

Postby Diane » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:47 pm

Do you remember what year this was?

tfernandez

Postby tfernandez » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:54 pm

Diane wrote:Do you remember what year this was?

it was in the early 90s. maybe 93, 94 or 95. I literally moved 6 blocks from one location to the other. i hired them to pack and move me. they broke a ton of stuff, lost stuff, stole stuff and sold me fraudulent insurance. They had moved the stuff so poorly and took so long that they ended up piling the stuff floor to ceiling in the hall of my new building and left. They didn't put the things in the new house let alone in the rooms where they belonged. I unpacked boxes and would find clothes, a vcr and books all piled in the same box. It was crazy. They tried to charge me a bunch more than they quoted because they took so long that the maintenance guy that had to run the elevator had to leave. They left a whole load of stuff in the elevator and we found it the next day. They also broke things and so we didn't notice, they left it at the old place. Ha Ha, it sure brings back memories! what a disaster.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:56 pm

And you said you had a bad INTERSTATE move as well? What company was THAT with? No wonder you're anxious about this move!

tfernandez

Postby tfernandez » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:52 am

Diane wrote:And you said you had a bad INTERSTATE move as well? What company was THAT with? No wonder you're anxious about this move!

yes, I moved from Atlanta to Chicago originally and so much was broken and lost. It took them more than 2 weeks to deliver my things. It was horrible. That's why I am concerned about this move, especially since I have 2 babies to deal with this time and am not as mobile myself...

tfernandez

Postby tfernandez » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:45 am

I got a little side tracked talking about past moves. I'm still appreciate of any suggestions as to how to do this whole move the most economical way with a great concern of getting my things in one piece. It seems like people are recommending me to look into larger moving companies rather than have me hire mover to load the truck in chicago and another set of movers unload the truck in atlanta. Would this still work if I used Penske or Budget? It seems that people have advised against doing this for various reasons pertaining to the truck itself. I welcome more info. thanks.
tracy

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:21 am

Penske and Budget have a much better track record. If you have AAA, you can get a 20% discount on Penske, and if you reserve online, you get an additional 10% discount.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:23 am

Tracy,

In my opinion the first thing you should do is have someone who works for a full-service mover come look at your things so you know how much weight you have and the probable cost to move it. As people have said, there are many good full-service movers in Chicago, including Berger (Allied) and Planes (United). I also think that the sales rep for Blackhawk (United) is very good, judging from things people have posted on this website. His name is Scott Johnson and his cell phone number is 630-740-6964 - he posts on this messageboard as "moveman" so he is familiar with the website and moving industry scams, which might make it easy for him to relate to your situation.

Once you have an idea of the weight and price, then you can consider whether you can afford a full-service mover or whether you would want to go with a freight company plus loaders and unloaders to save money. If you choose a good full-service mover such as the ones I have named above, you shouldn't have significant problems.

Our Superlist postings on Chicago movers are here -
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7599#57599
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7600#57600

A rental truck is also a possibility, and Farrah's advice is good, but with the cost of fuel you might be better off financially going with a freight company.
Last edited by Diane on Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

tfernandez

Postby tfernandez » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:35 am

Diane wrote:Tracy,

In my opinion the first thing you should do is have someone who works for a full-service mover come look at your things so you know how much weight you have and the probable cost to move it. As people have said, there are many good full-service movers in Chicago, including Berger (Allied) and Planes (United). I also think that the sales rep for Blackhawk (United) is very good, judging from things people have posted on this website. His name is Scott Johnson and his cell phone number is 630-740-6964 - he posts on this messageboard as "moveman" so he is familiar with the website and moving industry scams, which might make it easy for him to relate to your situation.

Once you have an idea of the weight and price, then you can consider whether you can afford a full-service mover or whether you would want to go with a freight company plus loaders and unloaders to save money. If you choose a good full-service mover such as the ones I have named above, you shouldn't have significant problems.

Our Superlist postings on Chicago movers are here -
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7599#57599
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7600#57600

Thanks Diane this is so helpful. And organized for me. I will start here and see where it leads me. I'm sure I'll have lots more questions along the way but thank you very much for all of your advice and resources.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:39 am

You're quite welcome. With all that you've been through, I'd like to see you have an excellent moving experience this time! Keep us posted.

BTW if you're responding to a post just above yours, you don't have to click the "quote" button to copy that post, because people will be able to follow what's going on pretty easily.

tfernandez

Postby tfernandez » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:40 am

oh gosh, sorry. you can tell i'm a novice. Ha!

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:14 am

Van Line agents with offices in both Atlanta and Chicago will have an advantage over more local agencies. Let me give some examples: Beltman-North American, Atlantic-Atlas, Berger-Allied, Armstrong-United, McCollisters-United, Suddeth-United, Bekins A-1- Bekins.

They have offices in both Chicago and Atlanta. I don't think Blackhawk and Planes offers this.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:19 pm

bigmove,

Beltmann shut down its HHG operation in Chicago. Suddath doesn't have a location in Chicago. There is a Bekins agent in Chicago (Boyer-Rosene) but it has bad reviews and comments here. I don't know whether there is a Bekins A-1 but as you probably know, many people are less than enthusiastic about Bekins as a van line.

Other than that, your suggestions are good. I think companies with offices in both Chicago and GA would be best if she is going to use a full-service mover. I was suggesting calling Scott just because he knows the website and is a nice person who could give her good information, but I think that Blackhawk would register the shipment with the van line rather than doing a self-haul.

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:45 pm

Sorry, I didn't know about Beltman, and I was skeptical about Suddeth but didn't look it up. Bekins A-1 does service Chicago, but they are probably the weakest on the list. I was trying to be fair.

Atlantic-Atlas, Berger-Allied, Armstrong-United. Probably the best three.

tfernandez

Postby tfernandez » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:20 pm

has anyone heard of Joey's Movers in Skokie, IL? They were recommended to me by a client of mine that moved them from Chicago to Minnesota and to New Jersey. They are typically local but said they can do a move to Stone Mountain, GA. Please let me know if anyone has info, I can't find anything about them. thanks in advance!
tracy

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:02 pm

Tracy, on any company like Joey's that has not been mentioned here before, call Pat McLaughlin of the Illinois movers' association. She will give you good advice. Her contact info is posted at the top of the first post on Illinois on the Superlist. In general, it is unwise to try to use a predominantly local mover for a move of your distance.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”