Big apple moving NYC?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Big apple moving NYC?

Postby guest » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:17 am

Rec'd by Manhattan Users Guide, wondering if anyone has dealt with them or knows anything..
for a local move in nyc

NYS DOT #T9942
Long Distance MC #205-240

Diane

Re: Big apple moving NYC?

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:35 am

I searched on the company's MC number and the BBB listing and saw no immediate red flags.

Also, a person posting here as "Ray" was very happy with a NYC mover that he used in January 2004 called Shea Moving: contact Brian Shea at 718-932-1204. I know nothing about this company, but you could send Ray a private message to get more details.
Ray wrote:We hired couple local movers to load the truck. These guys were amazing. At one point one guy had five boxes on his back going down three flight of stairs. They worked non-stop

lawra

Postby lawra » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:09 pm

Something seems to have happened at Big Apple Moving -they've always been known as a decent company in NYC but I checked their safersys info last week and they no longer have BPID insurance (as of 4/17/04).

I called them and asked about it as I was about to get an estimate from them and the guy on the phone was quite hostile - asked who I was and where I saw this, and how they had $1million in insurance etc....but really didn't explain it, or ask in any way to find out where it was listed so he could correct it.

I just checked again today to see if the insurance was back, and its not PLUS the common authority has been revoked - it says invalid as of 4/26/04.

Does that mean they can't do local moves or just interstate moves or neither one?

No clue what happened, once you guys clarify what this means i'll email Manhattan users guide and let them know the status since they recommend Big Apple highly.

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:17 pm

With their authority revoked they cannot do moves across state lines.

Bul with no BI/PD insurance it is illegal for them to drive their trucks out of their own parking lot.

So I guess the authority issue is moot! Don't waste any more time with these clowns.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:43 pm

So maybe Big Apple has become Bad Apple?

mmh33

Postby mmh33 » Mon May 03, 2004 11:12 am

Lawra,

Could you tell me where you found out that Big Apple no longer has their BIPD insurance as of 4/17/04? I looked at their safetysys.org record and they seem to be in compliance:

http://www.safersys.org/query.asp?searc ... #Insurance

For further details on their insurance coverage, I clicked on the insurance link which led me to this report of their insurance record:

http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... =&s_state=

It looks like they have BIPD coverage, with the policy (effective date) STARTING 4/17/04.

Does anybody have recos for moving companies that service the Brooklyn area?

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon May 03, 2004 11:28 am

I clicked on the above links and the "Active Insurance" and "Insurance History" pages do contradict each other, so there seems to be an error in the record. However, the "Revocation" page clearly indicates that Big Apple's license to move goods interstate was revoked on April 26, 2004.

mmh33

Postby mmh33 » Mon May 03, 2004 11:46 am

We're not looking to do an interstate move so we're really just focused on their BIPD coverage. I'm assuming that they canceled the policy they had with Van Liner to start a different policy with them since they have an active effective coverage starting on 4/17/04, but I don't want to have trouble down the line because I assumed incorrectly. Does anybody know what their insurance status is?

lawra

Postby lawra » Mon May 03, 2004 2:48 pm

For about 2-3 weeks the insurance link from safersys had Big Apple listed as $0 for BPID insurance with the insurance cancelled on 4/17/04. After a few weeks it said they had BPID insurance as of 4/17. don't know if it was a delay in the site being updated or what. But that's what it said. It also had common authority revoked.

SO I decided that I'll be using All Star (in brooklyn) to move from Manhattan to brooklyn, unless something happens to change my mind before the move date.

I don't know anything bad about big apple, but they were snippy as hell on the phone when I asked what was going on with their insurance etc. (and I did ask as nicely as I could)

laura

Tyrone

Postby Tyrone » Mon May 03, 2004 4:13 pm

WARNING! There is an "All Star" that is associated with US Movers (based in Brooklyn) and is a horrible company! As fast as you can, get the DOT # for the All Star you are using and post it here so we can make sure that it is not the same company!

If it's the All Star located at 88 SANFORD STREET, BROOKLYN, NY 11205
with the phone # (718) 643-4705, you should know that the DOT has cited them for driving trucks with no brakes, no lights and nothing to secure their load. So I guess if you are moving across town you might be ok IF you do it during the day, drive VERY slowly and bring your own ropes to hold the truck doors closed.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

mdw24

Postby mdw24 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:31 pm

I just called Big Apple Moving (DOT #T9942) and All Star Moving & Storage since Manhattan Users Guide still recommends them for estimates on a local move next month. I don't quite understand what having the insurance revoked means and was hoping you could provide an explanation? And it seems to me that it was reinstated on 5/20 - any idea what this means?

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:51 pm

Hi - as far as I know, Big Apple (MC license #205240) is a reputable company that experienced some kind of bureaucratic mixup. The record on safersys.org shows that it was never without BIPD insurance but its authority to perform interstate moves was nevertheless cancelled by the DOT. That authority was restored on May 20, 2005. I don't think you need to be concerned about it further.

I am a big fan of All Star Moving in Brooklyn, which has very good reviews on this website (collected in the Epinions article linked to below). Many companies in NYC and elsewhere have been cited for deficiencies in their trucks and drivers but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are bad companies.

Big Apple's owner has said in the Manhattan Users Guide that for local moves, anything above the estimated hours will be billed at half price - http://www.manhattanusersguide.com/arch ... y=services
In contrast, people who have moved with All Star have posted that it holds to that estimate plus 10% and actually charges less if the hours turn out to be less than estimated. This is just something to keep in mind in case Big Apple's quote comes in lower than All Star's. We have no reviews of Big Apple as yet.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:29 pm

Someone just posted our first review of Big Apple, but he just used a couple of its workers for unloading labor after doing a self-move in a Penske truck. He didn't do a full move with them - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4702

Big Apple vs. All Star Moving Estimates

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:56 pm

Diane,
I got the 2 estimates for the local NYC move of my 2 bedroom apt. and was wondering if you had an opinion and whether or not there is anything specific I should be looking out for.

The estimates are really close to each other: Big Apple gave me a probable cost of the move of $1528. He's estimating 4 men, 7 3/4 hours @ $134/hour, plus 1 hour of travel time. It also includes $325.50 for packing materials. As you noted in other threads, they gtee if labor time exceeds 8 hours, any balance will be billed at 1/2 hourly rate (and if the move is less, I'm only billed for actual time). All Star (your favorite!) came in at $1932, estimating 5 men for 7 hours @ $180/hour, plus 3/4 hour travel time, and $537 worth of packing material. They gtee not to exceed the estimate by 7%.

I just noticed that it appears Big Apple isn't charging tax on the packing materials, while All Star did.

I also asked for estimates if they packed up the apt. for us: Big Apple estimated 20.2 hours, plus 3/4 hour travel time @ $134/hour for $770. All Star said 2 men @ 7 1/2 hours @ $90/hr travel time included for $675.

All Star also was throwing in more free containers for our use.

Any thoughts? Thanks so much.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:04 pm

Hi again - Your numbers don't add up exactly right but I think this is the general comparison:

BIG APPLE

Basic Move - 4 guys for 8.75 hours @ $134/hour = $1172 + $326 for packing materials (? - figures don't add up to $1528)
Full Pack - 4 guys for 5.75 hours @ $134/hour = $770
Total = $2624 (? figures don't add up right)

ALL STAR

Basic Move - 5 guys for 7.75 hours @ $180/hour = $1932 + $537 for packing materials
Full Pack - 2 guys for 7.5 hours @ $90/hour = $675
Total = $3144

If this summary is roughly correct, it looks as if the cost of packing materials accounts for much of the $500 difference between Big Apple and All Star. When I was in All Star's warehouse, the owner (Rich Barrale) showed me a big pile of flattened boxes and commented that they were extremely expensive. I wonder whether he is using better quality packing materials than Big Apple uses or whether he plans to use more of them. I guess you could ask him whether he could do any better on the pricing of the materials or at least not charge you tax.

Both companies are being very reasonable about what they're charging for travel time, especially if you live in Manhattan. I've heard of other movers charging for 3 hours' travel time from Brooklyn to Manhattan.

The risk of additional expense strikes me as slightly greater with Big Apple than with All Star, since there is no ceiling with Big Apple and All Star is capped at 7%, or $182 if you go for a full pack. That would be the equal of paying for 2.75 extra hours with Big Apple @ the half-price rate of $67/hour.

Obviously, if you're looking to save money, Big Apple is $500 cheaper if you go for a full pack, $400 cheaper if you don't. But I don't know the owner of Big Apple (Joe Clements) and I DO know the owner of All Star (Rich Barrale). No question in my mind, I personally would go with All Star.

Return to “Open Community”