Chicago to Boston

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
apat69

Chicago to Boston

Postby apat69 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:13 pm

Hi Everyone just found this great site and trying to figure out all the information. Originally I wasn't going to move too much from Chicago to Boston but have had to replan it and need to look for a full mover.

Does anyone have any good recommendations?

Also, I have a number of sensitive computer equipment and am worried something might happen to it - would it be better to ship via UPS?

Thanks

Rick

Re: Chicago to Boston

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:22 pm

You'll find a list of Chicagoland movers here. http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7599#57599

Your computer equipment can travel with your household goods as long as it's packed properly. You need to discuss valuation options with each salesperson who provides you a visual survey to make sure that's its covered in the event of damage.

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:08 pm

A lot of good choices in the Chicago area. Consider the following.

McCollisters-United, Ace Worldwide-Atlas, Berger-Allied.

bosoxfan

Postby bosoxfan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:41 am

Also check out Prager - North American Van Lines. They are based in Naperville and service the Chicago area. You will definitely enjoy your time in Beantown - by the way if you have the opportunity - take a stroll to Fenway and watch the 'World Champions' play.

Conspiracy

Postby Conspiracy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:53 am

Why do you guys recommend places that are more then half an hour to an hour more away from chicago. Just because they say they are in the chicagoland does mean they are in Chicago. Naperville is an hour away on the express way from chicago. Berger and Ace are 40 minutes from chicago on the express way.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:44 am

apat69, where in chicago are you moving from?

Conspiracy

Postby Conspiracy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:32 pm

apat69 wrote:Also, I have a number of sensitive computer equipment and am worried something might happen to it - would it be better to ship via UPS?
Thanks

Sensitive equipment through UPS? Hope you have alot of foam and anti-static paper, and no magnets near them.

apat69

Postby apat69 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:58 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I am in the Lakeview area - around Belmont and Lakeshore Drive - near Wrigley Field. Guess I should have been more specific :oops:

What I meant by sensitive is that it has my personal information and work information, and I just wanted to make sure that it would survive the long haul safely.

apat69

Postby apat69 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:59 pm

bosoxfan wrote:Also check out Prager - North American Van Lines. They are based in Naperville and service the Chicago area. You will definitely enjoy your time in Beantown - by the way if you have the opportunity - take a stroll to Fenway and watch the 'World Champions' play.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to checking out everything on the East Coast.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:34 pm

Try my friends @ Reebie. They are an Allied agent. I always found them to be easy to work with. Main office is now in Franklin Park but they do business in the city. They did have a warehouse in the Lincoln Park area, but I'm not sure if they still have it.

bosoxfan

Postby bosoxfan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Conspiracy - what's your point - 20 miles further - big deal. I was trying to offer other alternatives. I did not realize there was a requirement to check mapquest before posting.

Conspiracy

Postby Conspiracy » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:32 am

Lets see he is by Lakeshore and Belmont which means his by the Alley and DSW. He is closer to the lake and FYI its more the 20 miles, try 55 to 61, FYI he could get an In-Home from Burros which is less then a miles away from his actual house. Burros is on Clark which is down the block from Wigley Field

Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:57 am

Conspiracy, did you mean Burrows Moving Company, Inc., the small independant on N Clark Street? If so, your right. They're probably closer but have a much smaller fleet to handle what apat69 described as "not much".

bostontochicago

Postby bostontochicago » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi apat69,

We moved from Boston to Chicago last year, and used NAVL; Rainbow Movers in Boston for pickup and Prager for delivery. Yes, Prager is in Naperville but we wanted to use Rainbow, and Prager is their Chicago affiliate. Whomever you use, make sure you research the guys who will be unloading you in Boston. Their affiliates on the other end might not have the same glowing recs.

Both companies were extremely efficient and professional. On pickup, they had one guy who took pictures, detailed any marks on our furniture, and counted and numbered and made a list of all our stuff. On dropoff, they gave us the list to check off as they came in. They were very careful with our things on both ends. We needed a couple of minor repairs after we arrived here and they were quick with repairs, and gave us money for a drawer they had broken. (We got the 0 deductible insurance, btw.)

I asked the same question last year re: sensitive materials. We ended up buying files boxes and travelling with our computers and files and valuables on our drive out here. I bought a cheap dolly at Walmart and during overnight stays we just loaded it up and brought it in with us. It was somewhat of a pain, but definitely worth the peace of mind.

Good luck! You'll love Boston.

bosoxfan

Postby bosoxfan » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:20 pm

Apt69 - remember to walk down Newbury St and the Boston Commons are absolutely amazing in the spring and head west on the pike to the Berkshires in the fall for the scenery - incredible. By the way, the best Italian food would be in the North End.

Conspiracy - have a nice day.

Return to “Open Community”