*Moving from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
PGH87

Re: *Moving from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia

Postby PGH87 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:45 am

the estimates i've gotten tell me i have 1300-1500 lbs of stuff.
and will use elevators at both ends.
only real bulky things of mine would be a mattress, bookcase, a drawer, & a file cabinet.
hmm... not all companies gave me rates...

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:58 am

Do the companies have a minimum of 1000lbs or 2100lbs? If you have 2 reputable companies and one offers you a 1000k min and one has a 2100k min, at the weight you have, you are better off with the 1000k minimum.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

PGH87

Postby PGH87 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:41 pm

ok, finally got my last estimate from Allegheny Valley Transfer Co. for about 1300 and i've decided to go with them over Stinelli Bros.
Allegheny Valley Transfer Co. offered a quote close to Stinelli's but had better PUC and BBB reputation. and they just seemed more bigger and professional.
btw, i'm not saying anything negative about Stinelli's and how they interacted with me. They were very helpful too.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:32 pm

You were quoted a great price for the move.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:21 pm

Does anyone know if you can combine an intrastate and an interstate shipment in the same moving van? It was my understanding, they cannot. Pennsylvania is a highly regulated state, so I'm thinking it may have something to do with that.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:26 pm

Allegheny Valley must be planning to combine the shipment with another, as well. Otherwise, I think their price would have to be double the price they quoted if they were doing this shipment by itself.

Easy

Postby Easy » Thu May 01, 2008 7:55 am

chaz4moving wrote:Does anyone know if you can combine an intrastate and an interstate shipment in the same moving van? It was my understanding, they cannot. Pennsylvania is a highly regulated state, so I'm thinking it may have something to do with that.

It is my understanding that what you are referring to was more of an ICC regulation than a PUC regulation. I could be wrong, but that is how I remember it. We do it all the time now. If I am incorrect, I wouldn't worry about the PUC anyway, they will only get involved if prompted by the customer. The enforcement at the PA PUC has become laughable at best, keep the customer happy, and anything goes.

Can't really say that's a bad thing......

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu May 01, 2008 8:20 am

PGH87,

Please get back to us about the outcome of your move with Allegheny Transfer (Allied) so we can add it to the Superlist. I agree with those who have said that both Stinelli and Allegheny gave you a great price.

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu May 01, 2008 9:11 am

I wouldn't worry about the PUC anyway, they will only get involved if prompted by the customer. The enforcement at the PA PUC has become laughable at best, keep the customer happy, and anything goes.

Very dangerous advice for all parties involved! It complicates carrier liability when the customer engages a local carrier (Mover A) to move them intrastate, and the company co-mingles both their intrastate order and another shipment(s) that was accepted to move under another carrier's authority on the same truck (Mover B).

If the unit for Mover B is involved in a catastrophic accident, legally the primary carrier is only required to accept liability for the shipment(s) that were registered to move under their motor carrier authority - unless there was a interchange agreement involved in the transaction. Who would the intrastate customer file their claim with and how is it subrogated? These types of legal issues would make the customers recovery effort more difficult when, unfortunately, they may have had no knowledge of the arrangement.

Easy

Postby Easy » Thu May 01, 2008 10:08 am

The "intrastate customer" would file their claim with whomever has underwritten the "Carriers" inland marine policy. "Subrogation" would be up to the "underwriter" if their were another party involved. The "interstate" side would follow along the same lines. The key is to complete the "intrastate" move prior to the "interstate" move. It's a common practice.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Fri May 02, 2008 8:03 pm

This whole subject confusses me. It was my understanding that a single intra state shipment with an extra delivery could not have the extra delivery out of state. Example: shipment going from pittsburgh to philly with extra delivery right across the way in New Jersey. I didn't think it had anything to do with 2 separate shipments. Now I'm confussed. Good thing I don't dispatch.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri May 02, 2008 11:10 pm

FMCSA regulations allow a pick up and delivery in the the same state when the service is provided as part of the interstate move. Several states (i.e. ID, NY, TN) allow a carrier to transport a shipment through an adjacent state if the distance is shorter and nothing is loaded or unloaded outside of the state where the bill of lading was issued. You'd need to consult the PA-PUC regulations to see about comingling intra and interstate shipments on the same truck. It may be covered under 52 Pa. Code § 31.62. Use of or interchange with carriers.

A good salesperson knows as much about the applicable federal and state regulations as the dispatcher. The knowledge not only makes them more credible in their customer's eyes but the fact that they are so well informed during their initial meeting leaves a positive impression that they are more professional and trustworthy.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Fri May 02, 2008 11:33 pm

and I want to be. My goal has always been to be the best at what I am doing.

That being said, Rick, I don't understand a majority of what you said. I said I thought you couldn't have an intra with an outside state extra delivery. I think you said the same thing, but I'm not sure. You said that an inter can have an extra delivery in state. Which if I'm following you correctly, would mean that both of us said that any shipment that fell into that category, would have to be an interstate shipment with an extra delivery.

Rick, I wish I had the knowledge that you do, seriously, because in my month and a half of sales you have taught me more than anyone else. But didn't we say the same thing about that? If we didn't, I'm even more confused

Rick

Postby Rick » Sat May 03, 2008 12:18 am

Rydog, don't feel bad. My kids complain to my wife that the older I get the more confusing and confounding I become. I personally get a lotta hope from their observations. It means they might actually be listening to me. Yes, we said the same thing - as long as it is an interstate shipment.

The federal DOT regulations allow a pick up and delivery in the the same state on the same bill of lading when the service is provided as part of the interstate move. For example you could pick up in a portion of an interstate shipment in the Pitts, transport it to Philly where you deliver some items, (and possibly pick up some items), and then deliver everything to Trenton, NJ. The charges in most tariffs are based on total weight, total miles with the mileage calculated based on the point to point activity between locations. Extra pick up and/or delivery charges apply at each stop.

Or you could pick up the entire interstate shipment in the Pitts, deliver some items to Camden, NJ, pick up some things in Cherry Hill and deliver everything to Trenton.

Some states prohibit commingling an shipment moving on an intrastate bill of lading with one or more interstate shipments moving under different bills of lading on the same truck. Pennsylvania used to prohibit it but there was some discussion in Feb, 2007 that may have changed the regs. That is a question for your dispatcher or someone at the Pennsylvania Moving & Storage Associates.

PGH87

Postby PGH87 » Wed May 07, 2008 12:25 am

i will be moving on the morning of may 7th.
and i'll try to post you guys on how my move went.
thomas pepke of allegheny valley transfer was very helpful, and they even delivered a lot of boxes for me to use.
one thing i was a lil annoyed about...
the final quoted price was about 1600+.
Thomas called me on about april 30th or so to inform me he forgot to add 350 or so in fuel charges. that's why the total is closer to 1600 than the 1250 he originally told me.
not sure if Stinelli's qoute also didn't include this fuel charge or not, but if i had known sooner, and if Stinelli's hadn't, i would have probably gone with their 300+ cheaper asking price.

anyways, hopefully i'll post some positive reviews up here in a few days.

Return to “Open Community”