Experience with Ayer Moving & Storage/North American or Collegebound

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
MovingSoon1620

Experience with Ayer Moving & Storage/North American or Collegebound

Postby MovingSoon1620 » Fri May 09, 2008 10:20 am

I got a quote of $12,774 for 17,000 lbs for my move from MA to FL. This includes them packing the house up. They have provided a non-binding estimate.

I had used Collegebound movers a few years ago for a local move and I was happy with the service, but I don't know if anyone has used them for a interstate move before.

We are planning to move June 2-4 and relocating to Florida.

Thanks for your suggestions.

MusicMom

Re: Experience with Ayer Moving & Storage/North American or Collegeboun

Postby MusicMom » Fri May 09, 2008 11:29 am

Collegebound looks OK, been licensed for interstate since 1999, has only one complaint in 2006.

Ayer is the onl non-independant you mentioned, and as such they'll have an easier time of getting your things to you. However, the downside is that they won't be the ones delivering in FL. How important is that to you?

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 09, 2008 12:30 pm

MM, for a large shipment like this, a van line agent actually might try to haul it using one of its own trucks; I'm not sure. Previously I recommended McLaughlin (Mayflower) in Nashua, NH, to the poster, thinking that it would probably be a self-haul.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MovingSoon1620

Postby MovingSoon1620 » Fri May 09, 2008 1:31 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I will see what the quote from Collegebound looks like and check with the Mayflower agent you mentioned.

bosoxfan

Postby bosoxfan » Fri May 09, 2008 3:38 pm

I have direct knowledge of Ayer Moving and storage - I could not have been happier. I used them to move my stuff from Quincy, MA and place my stuff in storage at their facility for roughly 5 months as my house was being built in MD.

The day I moved, was one of the coldest days in February, 2000 - it was 4 degrees below zero and had a nasty chill in the air. They arrived early for my appointment - they were supposed to arrive at 9 and were there at 20 of 9. The truck that they brought was a flatbed with 5 wooden storage containers. There was three of them and they completed the move by 2:30 - which I was quite happy about since I was moving out of a 3 bedroom apartment. They took great care with my wife's antiques. I gave they a laugh, because I packed all my belongings and on the box labeled 'Cook Book's' - I wrote for display purposes only. I followed them back to their warehouse in Ayer and gave each one of them a six pack of Sam Adams, because I was really impressed with how well they worked especially considering the conditions.

When I had my belongings sent to MD, I had to use Parks United out of Pittsburgh, since the company I work for was paying for the move. The United driver asked me what I did for the NAVL staff, because when they opened the first crate - one of the workers recoginized the box labeled 'Cook Books' and he and 3 of his co-workers loaded the driver's truck and he could not recall when he went to a rival's site and had his truck loaded so quickly. He was just as impressed as I was on that frigid day in February. In closing, I strongly recommend Ayer NAVL. Sorry about being so long winded - but I felt I should share my positive experience.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 13, 2008 9:54 am

Thanks for this good review of Ayer, which I added to the Superlist.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”