Chicago to Houston

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
moving soon

Chicago to Houston

Postby moving soon » Sat May 10, 2008 6:16 pm

I'm back here again! it's amazing to see how much the site has continued to flourish.

after thinking life was just beginning to settle down. i'm now relocating to houston. i've just endured the longest chicago winter in a decade and now i'm entering the heat and humidity of a houston summer.

in any case, i find myself in a somewhat more enviable position this time than last. while i'm not intersted so much in the cost of the move, i do want a chicago land mover that i can trust to get the job done well, safely and without me needing to make twenty phone calls to find my stuff (as i did have to do last time).

i've read over all of the chicago posts - seems Planes has gotten good reviews and that people have had reasonable experiences with them. Graebel seems ok as well. any persons with thoughts on these guys, please feel free to weigh in.

i was also wondering if anyone has used moishes in chicago? - they were voted number one by city search in 2007. or Golan's? also, does Moovers Inc do chicago pick-ups and has anyone done this?

I'm planning on getting in-home estimates in the next few weeks for a move in mid-july.

additionally i want the movers to pack up all the stuff and dismantle/reassemble the furniture (we have some nicer stuff now). any thoughts on what precautions we need to take?

thanks for the help
moving soon (again)

Chisme

Re: Chicago to Houston

Postby Chisme » Sat May 10, 2008 8:00 pm

We just moved from Chicago. We got 4 estimates. One company we didn't go with (and probably should have) because the estimate came in a little higher than the comapany we used was Federal Whalen.

920 N Larch Ave
Elmhurst, IL 60126
(630) 832-6200

The Federal Whalen guy mentioned that he did a lot of business in upscale neighborhoods like Wilmette, Lake Forest etc. It came up because I have expensive bookcases with glass doors and he assured me that the company is used to handling expensive furniture and furnishings (china, paintings, antiques, etc). He also mentioned that the company has a number of husband/wife driving teams, and with the wife there, there seems to be more attention to detail. They also have a whole system of protecting the inside of the house from plastic wrap on the carpet to plastic wrap on the stair handrails.

I strongly recommend that you have them in for an estimate. The guy who came to see us lived in Waukegan, but I forget his name.

moving soon

Postby moving soon » Sun May 11, 2008 3:52 pm

thanks for the thoughts - i took a look around this site and it seems that not that many people have either used them or had a good experience with them. will at least give them a shot with an estimate.

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Sun May 11, 2008 6:25 pm

There are several movers in Chicago who have locations in both Chicago and Houston. Berger-Allied, Atlantic-Atlantic, and Armstrong-Untited.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun May 11, 2008 6:51 pm

movingsoon,

To answer your questions re Golan's and Moishe's, check out the Chicago portion of the Superlist linked to below my name, which was created after you last visited the messageboard. Here is the first of two relevant posts - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7598#57598

Also, you could certainly get a quote from Moovers.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

moving soon

Postby moving soon » Mon May 12, 2008 6:04 pm

have looked these over - the help is great, as always.

i'm going to get a few estimates and go from there. be back soon
MS

Return to “Open Community”