Moving from Orlando to Chicago

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
anic13

Moving from Orlando to Chicago

Postby anic13 » Thu May 15, 2008 7:47 am

I'm moving unexpectantly from Orlando to Chicago in about three weeks and I am completely overwhelmed by my moving company search, although I have been researching as much as possible. I have never had to hire movers before and I don't know many people in Orlando so it is difficult for me to get referrals. If nothing else, I plan to get estimates from three bid-name nationwide companies like allied, united etc because I figure that has to be safer than going with an unknown local company. I don't have very much to move and I don't have anything too fragile or priceless so my main worry is getting a reasonable price and getting my stuff to chicago on time! Any recommendations?

consumer advocate

Re: Moving from Orlando to Chicago

Postby consumer advocate » Thu May 15, 2008 8:12 am

Check this thread to see what's been said about movers in your area:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... c&start=15

It's important to avoid moving brokers and to avoid hiring a mover off the internet. Once you've gotten two or three in-home estimates from movers in your area, post their names, DOT/MC numbers and addresses here and someone will help you evaluate the estimates.

anic13

Postby anic13 » Thu May 15, 2008 8:19 am

This is probably a stupid question....I keep hearing about avoiding moving brokers, but what exactly is a moving broker and how do you know if the company you contact is a moving broker?

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu May 15, 2008 8:24 am

Good question. The company itself may not tell you if you ask.

One thing you can do is look the company up on www.protectyourmove.gov to see whether it has any trucks. If it says "0" there, that means that it will not be moving the goods itself but will be assigning the move to other companies that you probably know nothing about. Also, if you click on the "Insurance Data" button on that website and then "HTML" and you see that the company has only a broker's authority, that is another danger sign. Sometimes brokers will have a "B" after their license numbers, but not always.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

DoubleR

Postby DoubleR » Thu May 15, 2008 8:37 am

Diane,

Question...if a move is brokered, which company is paid by the shipper/customer when the "contract" is with the broker? In some cases where less than reputable companies are invloved, the broker gets a down payment or almost all of the payment and then the actual moving company demands money with the threat of with holding the household goods.

Thanks,
DoubleR

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu May 15, 2008 9:20 am

The quickest way to know is to ask for both their DOT number and their MC number. If they don't have a DOT number to license commercial truck operation, they're a broker.

JMillerFL

Postby JMillerFL » Thu May 15, 2008 9:33 am

There is no shortage of quality Van Lines agencies here in Orlando. There a at least 4 Atlas, 4 United, 1 NAVL, 1 Allied, 2 Bekins, 3 Mayflower, 1 Redball, 1 Carlyle, 1 Wheaton, 1 Graebel, etc., etc. Alo, there are 2 National Van Lines agents. :wink:

Select 3 agents from this large pool and get a free, in-home survey.

I will tell you from personal experience that if you only want the cheapest price save your time and just call Sorrenson Allied. They seem to be giving away their moves with their pricing. :roll:

anic13

Postby anic13 » Thu May 15, 2008 10:03 am

Thanks! You've all been very helpful

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu May 15, 2008 11:03 am

JMillerFL wrote:There is no shortage of quality Van Lines agencies here in Orlando. There a at least 4 Atlas, 4 United, 1 NAVL, 1 Allied, 2 Bekins, 3 Mayflower, 1 Redball, 1 Carlyle, 1 Wheaton, 1 Graebel, etc., etc. Alo, there are 2 National Van Lines agents. :wink:

Select 3 agents from this large pool and get a free, in-home survey.

I will tell you from personal experience that if you only want the cheapest price save your time and just call Sorrenson Allied. They seem to be giving away their moves with their pricing. :roll:

Just 2 National agents? I see an opportunity for expansion...... :lol:

JMillerFL

Postby JMillerFL » Thu May 15, 2008 12:26 pm

Your killing me Archie. The last thing Orlando needs is another mover.

I didn't even mention 3 Two Men & a Truck, 1 All My Sons, 1 Neighbors, 1 Father & Son, etc. etc. Then we have the 1 truck operations and the "horse tralier" movers. We have one compnay in our local phone book that runs 3 large color ads under 3 different names but the same phone number on all the ads. Local news station did a piece on them a few months ago and they were operating out of a 2 bedroom apt. with 2 old unmarked rental trucks.

We were the only Global agent till last year when we went with the "Whale" decaled trucks.
:D

kd44

Postby kd44 » Tue May 20, 2008 8:38 am

Diane,

do you work for ABF?

consumer advocate

Postby consumer advocate » Tue May 20, 2008 8:40 am

No, she doesn't work for ABF.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue May 20, 2008 11:29 am

Why would you ask that?

See, this is what gets me. Someone comes to this site, writes an out-of-the-blue glowing recommendation for a broker with no mention of the hauler that actually did the work, and they're posting from the same city in which that the broker is located. Then the same person finds a thread where Diane has written, WITHOUT EVEN MENTIONING ABF (which is a competitor of the broker), and throws out that question.

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Tue May 20, 2008 9:51 pm

JMillerFL wrote:I will tell you from personal experience that if you only want the cheapest price save your time and just call Sorrenson Allied. They seem to be giving away their moves with their pricing. :roll:

Are they still going by Sorensen since they are now Coleman American? I'm pretty sure the only Sorensen office that is now using the Sorensen name is in Melbourne. Both Orlando and Plant City (Tampa) locations have changed to Coleman American. However, in Tampa I still see the Sorensen name on the trucks!
"Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."

JMillerFL

Postby JMillerFL » Wed May 21, 2008 10:22 am

They will always be Sorenson to me. Coleman American is a good company. We have done work with them on the miltary side for many years.

Return to “Open Community”