Sacramento to Detroit

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
chahn

Sacramento to Detroit

Postby chahn » Wed May 07, 2008 3:28 pm

I'm moving from Sacramento, California to West Bloomfield, Michigan on June 23rd. Any recommendations for good moving companies? I was thinking of Mother Lode/Atlas or Allied Van/Pools.
Allied Van/Pools said starting on June 23rd their new, higher "peak pricing" additional rate increases of $415? Is this typical? None of the other companies said they have peak pricing periods.

Looking for good auto transport as well for 2005 Lexus RX 330 SUV. I've gotten quotes ranging from $950-$1300. OR I can pay an extra $1800 and take it on the moving truck.
Last edited by chahn on Wed May 07, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farrah7031

Re: Sacramento to Detroit

Postby farrah7031 » Wed May 07, 2008 4:07 pm

I'd contact Moovers or Delancey Street:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7565#57565

You're trying to move during the busiest week of the entire year, FYI. You'll either pay quite a bit more than normal or it will take longer than normal for you to get your goods. Be prepared.

Contact Golden Key Express or ProStar for auto shippers:
http://www.movingscam.com/findmover.shtml

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Wed May 07, 2008 4:10 pm

I think the two Van Line agents look pretty good as well.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu May 08, 2008 1:23 am

You can also try getting a quote from Chipman (United) in Sacramento, or Moovers (Independant).

Ask Chipman if they will waive the peak rates?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Thu May 08, 2008 6:44 am

Summer pricing is typical; however, the guidelines will vary from one van line to another. My guess is the other companies have higher prices for the last 2 weeks of June, as well. How inconvenient is it for you to load on June 19th or 20th? If those dates can work, you will avoid the higher cost from Allied. You can check the "superlist" for movers in your area who have good ratings.

r.tennison

Postby r.tennison » Mon May 19, 2008 2:18 am

First, Pooles does phone estimates. That should stop you right there. There are two other allied agents in Sacramento, Colonial van and storage, they will wave the peak rates, and also MEES moving and storage. They are both quality agents. I drove for United Van Lines and have seen only two good moves out of Chipman in Sacramento. I used to pick up their messes about twice a month. Colonial is an agent that has been in business in Sacramento for over forty years. They must be doing something right. Mees has been there just as long.

Good luck.

Return to “Open Community”