Advice needed- moving from Reno, NV to Chico, CA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
newtomoving

Advice needed- moving from Reno, NV to Chico, CA

Postby newtomoving » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:32 pm

Hello! Thank you very much for such a helpful site. I read the article How to find a reputable moving company and liked it a lot.

We are planning to move our 2-bedroom apt from Reno, NV to Chico, CA in August. It's 3 hours drive. I cannot do a self move as I am not able to do the loading and unloading myself.

:?: I need some advice re reputable moving companies. I read the posts from the superlist and they are great but there is not much information about Reno, NV.

Local companies in Reno are (from yellow pages):
Puliz Moving $ Storage (adent for United van Lines)
Sierra Moving Systems (agent for mayflower)
Colonial Van & Storage (agent for Allied Van lines)
Owens brothers transfer Ca, Inc and Silver State Moving & Storage (both agents for North American Van Lines)

There are a few smaller companies:
Two College Guys
Carneys full service movers
Five Star Moving and storage, Inc

Does anyone have any experience with any of those agents or moving companies moving to/from from Reno, NV? I'd like to narrow my search first, and then will get visual estimates from the best 3.
Will appreciate greatly you advice.

MusicMom

Re: Advice needed- moving from Reno, NV to Chico, CA

Postby MusicMom » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:13 pm

We don't need tp look up the van line agents' licenses, but can you post the DOT or MC license numbers of those 3 smaller guys and we can check them out for you?

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:16 pm

Any of the companies in your top four will work. Puliz and Sierra are UniGroup cross rep. agents and have the same owner. I'm not sure when Silver State opened in Reno. Their main office is in Vegas and they primarily cater to DOD traffic.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:12 pm

You may want to contact Moovers at www.mooversinc.com. They may have a load coming back to SF and they could pick you up on the way back.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:21 pm

Good thought, Farrah, and also, Don Schwartz at www.stsmovers.com, one of the companies we endorse, might be able to do such a move. I think it would be worth giving him a call to see because he is getting very good reviews.

newtomoving

Postby newtomoving » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:13 pm

Thank you very much for helpful info.

DOTs numbers:

Two College Guys DOC 559773, MC 274690
Carneys full service movers DOC 1435283, MC 542657
Five Star Moving and storage, Inc DON'T KNOW NUMBERS YET, THEY ARE FROM WEATON

I contacted STSmovers and moversinc too, awaiting visual estimates.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:53 pm

2 College Guys doesn't have an interstate license since 2000, so they can't move you - throw them out:
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

Carney's has been licensed for a little over 2 years:
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW
And they only have 1 complaint at the BBB:
http://reno.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.aspx ... m=10005134
But they only have 1 truck.

Five Star Moving and Storage is a Wheaton agent in Reno.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:58 am

Depending on when you plan to move, you might want to go with a van line, or Moovers.

The reasoning is that Chico is off the beaten track for movers, and is known to be a college town. Unless you're moving at the end of the college year, there isn't a great opportunity of a backhaul for an independant mover. To deadhead back to Reno from Chico is about 165 miles.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:12 pm

Here's a discussion of Chico and moving companies in Chico, dating from 2004 - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2905

You might consider contacting one of the agents listed there to see whether they would like to pick up a load going from Reno back to Chico.

az ops man

Postby az ops man » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:27 am

Try Sorenson moving and storage in Chico, CA they are a United agent and do good work, and might be able to utilize one of their own drivers headed back to Chico.1800 675 7370

codydog

Postby codydog » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:22 pm

I am going to have Don at STS(posted in conversation above) come out and load and transport my household goods to an ABF relocube loading area in Fontana, then move across country with ABF as we don't have a lot of furniture. I was very impressed with Don at STS, Check out his good reviews on here. He tried every which way to find the least expensive way for this to happen. If he moved cross country, I would hire his company with complete confidence. Good Luck on your move.
Pat

newtomoving

Postby newtomoving » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:54 pm

Thank you all very much for a very helpful replies. I eliminated bad ones and contacted Ron, united van lines, and movinginc so far. Will let you know how things go.

r.tennison

Postby r.tennison » Mon May 19, 2008 3:03 pm

Silver stae moving and storage was purchased by colonial van and storage in late 2005 and 2006. It was a troubled company with multiple names and owners throught the past. Colonial Van specializes in the chico and central valley market as they have two agents in the central valley. Sacramento and fresno. Chico is not a bad deadhead for this company as they service Beale AFB and that is not too far away.

Good Luck

Return to “Open Community”