San Antonio Tx Companies (Ward vs. Scobey)?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
cookiemaker

San Antonio Tx Companies (Ward vs. Scobey)?

Postby cookiemaker » Fri May 23, 2008 12:05 pm

Hi!

Thanks for all the advise on your website. :D I saw your Superlist, and also moving tips. I've checked out both companies and they seem good from what I've seen on here & checked out on Safersys.org.

This is for a cross-country move. Anyhow, I got quotes from Ward North American & Scobey Mayflower.
Ward gave me a "Binding Quote" of $6000 (plus a few $ & cents), good for 30 days. Scobey gave me a quote but I am not sure what its' called, it says On Point Price Certainty Total, and it's $5700 but they say the price can go down if our stuff weighs less than estimated once it's loaded, but they say it will never go up. That quote is good for 120 days.

These quotes include full coverage (no deductible) with us doing our own packing.

Any thoughts? Anyone else use these companies? Does it all sound ok?

mvff

Re: San Antonio Tx Companies (Ward vs. Scobey)?

Postby mvff » Sat May 24, 2008 7:44 am

cookiemaker wrote:Hi!

Thanks for all the advise on your website. :D I saw your Superlist, and also moving tips. I've checked out both companies and they seem good from what I've seen on here & checked out on Safersys.org.

This is for a cross-country move. Anyhow, I got quotes from Ward North American & Scobey Mayflower.
Ward gave me a "Binding Quote" of $6000 (plus a few $ & cents), good for 30 days. Scobey gave me a quote but I am not sure what its' called, it says On Point Price Certainty Total, and it's $5700 but they say the price can go down if our stuff weighs less than estimated once it's loaded, but they say it will never go up. That quote is good for 120 days.

These quotes include full coverage (no deductible) with us doing our own packing.

Any thoughts? Anyone else use these companies? Does it all sound ok?

I'm a newbie here, but I am a bit curious about the insurance, because my experience with quotes has usually been that they want to do the packing if they're going to insure the stuff; otherwise they'll only insure it against "gross" damage (the kind where the box itself was clearly damaged).

cookiemaker

Postby cookiemaker » Sat May 24, 2008 9:31 am

Hi, thanks.

My question is more are those prices in line? The more expensive company has 2000 more pounds than the other company. I wonder why such a big diff. ?

chaz4moving

Re: San Antonio TX Companies (Ward vs. Scobey)?

Postby chaz4moving » Sat May 24, 2008 11:21 am

Since the prices from both companies are close, I would conclude that you have competitive numbers. A $300.00 difference between these two quotes is only 5% and I do not feel that is a big deal. Estimating is not an exact science and you will find differences in estimated weights. It is an educated guess. Given the lower quote is estimated to be 2000 pounds lighter than the higher quote, I doubt you are going to see their final price being less than $5700.00. Both companies are good. With both prices being guaranteed, it is a coin toss. Do you feel more comfortable with one or the other? Which representative was more thorough in doing their survey? Which company seemed to offer more helpful suggestions? Did both salespeople ask for your order? Has either person followed up with you since doing the estimate?
Last edited by chaz4moving on Sat May 24, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat May 24, 2008 1:57 pm

It is difficult these days to compare discounting, as van lines are using their own tariffs. for instance, your discount from one van line may say 60% (only a guestimate), while I know our Unigroup discounting will reflect 20 - 22%.

What is important is to compare the weights, the bottom line, and whether or not you have been given a binding, binding not to exceed, or a non binding. Different van lines call them different things, but they basically add up to the same thing.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

bosoxfan

Postby bosoxfan » Sat May 24, 2008 7:07 pm

Ward North American out of San Antonio is consistently ranked as the #1 agent in NAVL agent base. They even received an award from Texas Instruments in 2006 for contractor of the year - special recognition for a trucking company. The ware house is top notch as is their executive base and the drivers they choose to represent them.

Scobey Mayflower is a fine organization in their own right and you will be truly satisfied with either mover you decide on. Good luck with your move.

Return to “Open Community”