*move from VA to NJ

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
DCheepas

*move from VA to NJ

Postby DCheepas » Thu May 22, 2008 4:52 pm

Hi all- this is a great website, and I've learned so much a in a short amount of time.

I just graduated from medical school and am starting my residency in mid-June. I found a place in Montclair, NJ yesterday and now have to figure out how to get our things from Richmond, VA to Montclair, NJ.

From the superlist, I'm going to contact Hilldrup Moving and Storage, and DunMar Moving Systems. Does anyone else have suggestions or can you direct me to the appropriate thread?

thank you.
-DCheepas

haulinsurance

Re: move from VA to NJ

Postby haulinsurance » Thu May 22, 2008 9:10 pm

Two good choices :D

DCheepas

Postby DCheepas » Wed May 28, 2008 1:36 pm

I got quotes from 2 companies: DunMar/Allied in Richmond, VA and Mayflower/Kloke in Richmond, VA. Both estimators, Brandy at Dunmar and Barbara at Mayflower were very accommodating and efficient. I'm getting ready to sit down and figure out why the quotes are so different (DunMar $2784.47 without insurance, Mayflower $2966.00 without insurance)

But first, does anyone have experience with these 2 movers in Virginia?

Thank you!
-DCheepas

JMillerFL

Postby JMillerFL » Wed May 28, 2008 2:04 pm

A difference of $181 is not that big of a difference when comparing quotes. I would be more concerned if one of them was less by $500+ in this price range. With both compnaies being top quality the choice should come down to who you are more comfortable with. What saleperson impressed you more? Who seemed more "on their game"?

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed May 28, 2008 2:27 pm

Make sure both of you gave the equivalent to a guaranteed not to exceed quote where you will not pay for more than the estimate, and your price will go down if you have less than the estimate.

DCheepas

Postby DCheepas » Wed May 28, 2008 3:17 pm

yes, both agreements are binding not to exceed agreements. I'm checking to make sure they can guarantee their delivery dates.

Also, I went through the 'checklist' on the SaferSys website that the main article provided. Under the Operation Classification for DunMar, there's no 'x' next to 'auth for hire.' Instead, it has an 'x' by 'Private(Property)'-- is that the same thing?

DCheepas

Postby DCheepas » Thu May 29, 2008 3:50 pm

Several other companies came out to do quotes: Brooks/United and Hilldrup. Overall, the quotes ranged from $2601 to $3286. I was particularly impressed with Hilldrup's relocation consultant, Thomas. He had a very smart presentation complete with pictures of the facilities. He spent a great deal of time answering all of my questions. We're on a very tight schedule (wanting to move next week!), and he phoned the dispatchers while at my house to see if he could arrange something. He also checked when he got back to the office and called me back in several hours to let me know that they couldn't meet my specific timeframe, but offered a quote and some alternate dates.

We're going with DunMar for several reasons: they had a good middle of the road quote, gave us a binding not to exceed estimate, better reviews on this site, less BBB complaints, and they guaranteed our pickup and delivery dates. Plus, they called us back first when we started looking for a mover on 5/23. I'll post a review when we get settled in NJ.

Thank you, everyone, for your comments.
-DCheepas

Diane

Re: **move from VA to NJ

Postby Diane » Thu May 29, 2008 4:47 pm

Good - just a note that DunMar does NOT "have better reviews on this website" than Hilldrup and if it has fewer BBB complaints than Hilldrup, that would be expected since Hilldrup does many more moves each year. I feel optimistic that you will be OK with DunMar since a couple of industry people posting here have praised them, but just wanted to put things in perspective.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

DCheepas

Re: *move from VA to NJ

Postby DCheepas » Thu May 29, 2008 7:09 pm

oh, no. You're absolutely right. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Hilldrup had the strongest reviews of the four choices, and only had one BBB complaint in the past 36 months. We would have gone with them but they're booked solid and couldn't get our stuff to us in the timeframe that I was comfortable with. It's too bad, they seemed like a great company, and when we move back in 3 years, you bet I'll be calling them several months in advance.

I simply meant that of the other 3 choices (Dunmar, Mayflower/Kloke, Brooks/United) DunMar looked the best.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu May 29, 2008 8:43 pm

Oh - I misunderstood you. It's absolutely amazing that Hilldrup has only 1 BBB complaint over the past 36 months. I didn't know that.

DCheepas

Postby DCheepas » Thu May 29, 2008 9:00 pm

http://richmond.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report. ... m=37026248
only one! Crazy, isn't it? They must be doing something right.

DCheepas

Postby DCheepas » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:25 pm

We made it up to NJ, and the move with Dunmar went well. The folks at the office were nice- they gave me some moving supplies and let me raid the back for as many boxes as I wanted. One person even helped me look for the best boxes and helped break them down. I actually was able to get all of the boxes I needed.

(note: when doing this, bring your own sharps to break down boxes. Also, UHaul had free boxes in great condition)

Our driver, Angel, showed up early on pickup day. He and his partner worked steadily and efficiently. They did a good job, were extra careful with the items I pointed out. Angel kept in touch with me while driving up and let me know what the actual weight and new, lower price was. (The estimator was about 500 lbs off, which I think is reasonable.)

On dropoff day, Angel showed up on time with a new, uniformed helper from a local branch. We had a huge piece that was nearly impossible to get into the apartment - we got a few minor scratches on the floor, dinged the door, and bruised some paint- but nothing huge. Everything arrived intact and Angel took away all of the boxes that we were able to unpack at no extra charge. We went over the inventory sheet carefully and he suggested that I do a walkthrough on the truck to make sure they got everything off.

In short, it was a pleasant experience and I think that DunMar did a great job. Our driver gets extra points for his professionalism and customer service- I felt like he made a real effort to make sure that I was comfortable with all aspects of the move from start to finish.

-DCheepas

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:29 pm

DCheepas,

Thanks so much for your review! Did you by chance come here from www.studentdoctor.net ? If so, if you have time, it would be great if you could post over there that you found this website useful. I see many students and residents posting there who are looking for movers.

DCheepas

Postby DCheepas » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:26 am

I've let my medical school know so that they can give the info to next year's classes, but studentdoctor.net is a great idea. I'll do that soon. Thanks.

-DCheepas

Return to “Open Community”