Orange County to Chicago

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
armarti

Orange County to Chicago

Postby armarti » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:48 pm

Hi -

I've gotten three quotes for our Orange County to Chicago move at the end of this month. We're having tough time deciding, and could use some help! The last time I moved, it was via Fed-Ex, so this is a new experience!!

1 - Atlas Transfer/Allied - they have great reviews on here, but were also the most expensive estimate (5600lbs for $4500 - TPG w/ GRR).

2 - Moving Depot (National Van Lines), located in Costa Mesa, CA - can't find anything about either company on here, but they appear ok on BBB. They gave us a NON-binding estimate of 5100 lbs for $4000.

3 - Nelson North American (Gust Nelson) with northAmerican (Lake Forest, CA) - found a couple of good reviews for Gust on here. This was the cheapest estimate - they gave us a guaranteed price of $3966 for 4800 lbs. They say that's what we pay regardless of the actual weight - is that a normal practice? Is there something the contract should say verifying that? (it says it is a guaranteed price, a binding and guaranteed price quote).

We'd appreciate any help!

Diane

Re: Orange County to Chicago

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:03 pm

If your weight is what Nelson estimated, your final cost with Atlas Allied will be lower than their initial quote and will actually be comparable to Nelson's quote. Although I think Nelson is a good company, I would tend to choose Atlas Allied because of all of its strong reviews. In addition, I believe that most people consider Allied a somewhat stronger van line than North American. However, Nelson's quote is indeed a true Binding estimate that won't go up OR down. NAVL agents can give those types of quotes.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:36 pm

I believe that most people consider Allied a somewhat stronger van line than North American. However, Nelson's quote is indeed a true Binding estimate that won't

I think they are similar. I atually think Allied has recently lost more agents than North American. Losing a large number of agents, trucks, and drivers, couldn't be a good think heading into the busy season.

Troyb22

Postby Troyb22 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:40 am

I know the sales reps at Atlas Transfer and the ownership there. They are honest people and a very good Allied agent. They also "self-haul" a lot of their booked moves and have very good interstate drivers. They do tend to estimate high. But if the actual weight is less, you will receive a lower price. The only negative here is that they are located in San Diego and you in Orange County. That's quite a distance apart. If any problems arise on moving day, the farther away the agency, the bigger the problem can become.

National Van Lines is a smaller van Lines. And if you are moving during the busy season (like now), your shipment may very well be "double handled" (not loaded directly on the interstate truck) since they have fewer vans. Late delivery is also more probable with smaller van lines during the busy season.

Just be sure that any "guaranteed" price you receive is accompanied by a very detailed and accurate estimate inventory. This will ensure the mover can't raise the price on moving day. He lagally can if you have more to move than what the salesperson listed. Since the North American quote is so much lower, I would definitely check that inventory closely if you decide to go with them.

Good Luck!

joesgarage39

Postby joesgarage39 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:45 am

Out of the three I would chose Atlas. Tommy Oakly has over the many years been one of Allied's top agenices and will serve your needs well. Do not worry about the coments about some agents leaving the system as booking restrictions keep a grip on traffic. You will not go wrong with Atlas.

Return to “Open Community”