Another Cross-Country Move Comparison

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
llama

Another Cross-Country Move Comparison

Postby llama » Wed May 21, 2008 10:34 pm

Hello kind folks,

We'll be moving from Jackson, MS to Seattle, WA this summer and we obtained 3 in-house estimates. We are having trouble deciding and would like to get others' opinions. We are moving a 2 Bedroom 1 Bath 1650 Sq. ft. house.

1) Allied:
estimated weight: 9000lbs
Binding NTE $8995.00

2) Mayflower:
estimated weight: 9000lbs
Binding NTE $8,418.79

2) United:
estimated weight: 7000lbs
Binding NTE $7614.38

Any input would be appreciated!

r.tennison

Re: Another Cross-Country Move Comparison

Postby r.tennison » Wed May 21, 2008 11:22 pm

Although all three companies posted have a Not to Exceed estimate, it seems odd that two are 9000 pounds, and one is seven thousand. That is why there is such a discrepancy with the estimates. I would think going with Mayflower or Allied would be advisable. That way there if it goes below 9000 pounds you will not have a company possibly trying to change your estimate mid stream in the move. I do not believe that United Van Lines would do that, but they do seem to be low balling the estimate.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu May 22, 2008 7:46 am

I'd call the United agent and tell them the other 2 agents estimated 9000 pounds and find out what the price would be. Also, I would compare the Inventory lists of all 3 agents to find out why the discrepensy in weight. Did you show the same stuff to all the agents? Did you imply that somethings may not be going?

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu May 22, 2008 7:49 am

Whats even weirder, the Mayflower agent in Jackson MS and the United agent in Jackson Ms, are the same exact company!.....Maybe their left hand is unaware of what their right hand is doing.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Thu May 22, 2008 10:48 am

The pricing seems to be similar with the two 9000 lb estimates, both good companies.
Which one will you be more comfortable working with?
I wouldn't give the 7000 lb estimator the opportunity to re-price at 9000 lbs. That person should have been more accurate the first time.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

llama

Postby llama » Thu May 22, 2008 1:34 pm

Thanks everyone for the insight/suggestions.

A little more info:
Allied was the first company to come and do the estimate; they seemed the most responsive/professional (returned my call right away, had an agent out for the estimate within a day or two) and he was the only one who went upstars and actually looked at the stuff we had in the attic (the others just asked me to describe what was up there- it's not a wole lot, but probably warranted a look)

United seemed the most disorganized; the guy doing the estimate was good & very helpful/professional, but they were the first company I called and the last to show up for the estimate (took them a week to call me back and it was 2 weeks after my initial call before someone did the estimate). Part of me wonders though that maybe they lowballed on purpose since they figured they were the last company giving the estimate.
ETA: the united guy was also the only one I really discussed the possibility of putting stuff into stoarge with (since at the time we didn't have a place to live yet- now we do :) so that won't be an issue) So I wonder if he lowballed on purpose expecting to get the storage (which would have brought the price of everything up- we got an estimate for the move + a month of storage from them for about 10.5K)

They guy from Mayflower said that if anyone underbid them, to call him and he would "see what he could do".:hmm:

My gut is saying go with Allied (a friend recently used them, though for a much shorter move, and had a good experience). But since we are essentially paying for this move ourselves (with a limited reimbursement) the lower price is obviously attractive.

Of course, from reading this forum and other information on the internet, the whole moving thing has us a little freaked out. Then again, these are all pretty large, reputable companies, right?

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu May 22, 2008 2:19 pm

Yes, they are large and reputable,but their 'first impression' on you was not too good, sounds like......thats hard to overcome, but maybe they are just maxed out, it is the busy season for moving, starting in Mid May.

I'd go with Allied, they seemed to have earned your business.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Thu May 22, 2008 2:34 pm

Trust your gut. All are good companies with similar pricing.
Based on your post, it sounds like Allied is your mover.
Quick and professional response means a lot during this time.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu May 29, 2008 2:01 pm

Please also post the names of the agents, not just the van lines.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

llama

Postby llama » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:04 pm

Diane wrote:Please also post the names of the agents, not just the van lines.

Allied / Southern Heritage Transfer & Storage (Jackson, MS)

United / Armstrong Relocation (Madison MS)

Mayflower / McConnell Bros. Transfer & Storage (Jackson, MS)

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:20 pm

Everyone you got a quote from represents a good company and van line. I have worked with Southern Heritage/Allied in the past and was pleased with the service they gave my customers. The owner is a good guy.
Last edited by chaz4moving on Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:10 am

Knowing now that the United agent was Armstrong, I guess I would go with them because I think they would hold to their GNTE estimate and would be likely to self-haul.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Troyb22

Postby Troyb22 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:30 pm

Go with Allied on this move. I work for United Van Lines. But based on your description of what the sales persons did or did not do, the estimates, ect., I would choose Allied in this case.

Return to “Open Community”