Moving and confused

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
hbrulay

Moving and confused

Postby hbrulay » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:23 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm moving from SF to Miami at the end of June. I've recieved several bids from some of the reputable companies listed on this website. We have a 2 bedroom condo. Note that we are doing our own packing.
At the high end, one company is estimating 8500lbs. @ $8,869, which includes crating for a table top and oversized mirror, shuttle at pickup and minium insurance (.60 per pound). At the low-end we have a company estimating 5,000 lbs at $5600. And we have several at around 6000 lbs. at approximately $6500. So, I'm unsure about who to go with. Although I am leaning toward Bekins (A&P Moving is the Agent) who's quoting me $6500 (5,500 minimum, shuttle orgin, crates for table top and mirror, 1 day to load and a 6-9 day window to deliver). Any experience with A&P? Does this seem like a fair price?

Diane

Re: Moving and confused

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:18 am

Hi - I'm not familiar with that particular agent, but Bekins is generally considered one of the weaker van lines, especially when it comes to paying on claims. Also, you are moving at the absolutely busiest time of the year and there can be delays.

If you could post your other quotes with the names of the companies, people could advise you better.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

hbrulay

Postby hbrulay » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:46 am

Thanks for the advice. The other quotes are as follows:

Cunningham Moving & Storage (Agent for Arpin) quoted me $6500 for 6500 lbs

Foster Van Lines (Agent for Weaton) $7500 for 6700 lbs, includes full replacement insurance (250 deductible)

McCollister's (Agent for United) $8869 for 8427 maximum and 2100 lbs minimum.

Cor-o-Van (Agent for North American Van lines) $5600 for 5000 lbs

Delancy Moving $6500 for 5300 lbs

Norcal (Agent for Allied) $7200 for 6500 lbs

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:30 am

Unless there is some drawback that I don't know about, like an unusually long delivery time, there is no question in my mind which company you should choose:- Delancey. Reviews here indicate that you will get a very high-quality move and they are superb about paying on claims if there is damage. Their quote is also very reasonable. (I'm assuming that all of your quotes are Binding Not to Exceed.)

hbrulay

Postby hbrulay » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:40 am

Delancy's delivery window is 30 days, which seems unreasonable to me. And their estimate is non-binding- We will be charged for actual certified weight and materials used.

Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:45 am

Delancey Street http://tinyurl.com/5rmdfz is a very good but very small company. Since you are moving at the absolutely busiest time of the year, you need to consider if they have enough equipment to handle your cross country move without delays. The other companies you quoted all have hundred or thousands of trucks that operate nationwide to handle the surge in volume.

Holding the lowest estimate in your hand on "moving day" doesn't mean much if there's no truck at the curb.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:58 am

Delancey could be giving you a conservative time estimate to be safe, but if you don't want to use them, then in my mind McCollister's would be the safest choice. It is a large carrier and might self-haul your shipment using its own truck and driver, reducing the possibility of damage and delay. If you really have only about 6500 pounds, as most reps seem to have estimated, your final cost will of course be less than McCollister's high estimate.

smatwilly

Postby smatwilly » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:15 am

You are right!!! 30 days is crazy!! Where will it sit for that long---how many times will it be moved---good questions to ask-----You have gotten several estimates from several reputable movers--in this case I dont believe you have any problems with using the cheapest price----You were smart to get several estimates as long as they all saw what you were moving--Good luck!!

joesgarage39

Postby joesgarage39 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:43 am

Out of the choices you have given here I would go with Nor-Cal. They are a fine organization with a large fleet and their attention to detail and quality will serve your needs. McCollister's is primarily a third proviso mover and you might not get the service you are needing from them.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:07 am

I agree that NorCal would be a strong choice, judging from reviews and comments here.

smatwilly wrote:30 days is crazy!! Where will it sit for that long---how many times will it be moved

It would probably be in Delancey's warehouse in SF for a while waiting for enough other loads to fill a trailer. It would not be moved a number of times because if and when Delancey changes tractors en route across the U.S. it keeps the shipment in the same trailer it was loaded onto. Again, Delancey is cautious about promising delivery dates that might be unrealistic, as I believe Bekins' promised delivery spread (above) was.

"joesgarage," can you explain what you mean by McCollister's being primarily "a third proviso mover" and why this might make it less desirable for moving household goods?

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:59 am

It should be reasonable to expect delivery 8-16 days from pickup date on 6500 lbs from SF to Miami.
I like McCollisters for the same reasons pointed out by Diane.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

smatwilly

Postby smatwilly » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:01 pm

Diane--usually when a shipment is picked up that they say they cant deliver for approx 30 days most movers would not hold it on a trailer that long--unless they have an unlimited supply of empty trailers sitting around---usually if they load onto a trailer it isnt a road worthy one (long distance) so they blow it on & blow it off - more handling more chance of damage--unless you have seen for your own eyes them holding shipments on a trailer for that long than my bet would be they dont do that - they just say they do-- :wink: ---they usually build in extra money in the estimate for the offloading & reloading- since it costs labor to do both--its not always a bad thing but again, thats double the handling--- :?

nobody should have to wait much more than the legal transit time plus a few additional days if their shipment is 6000 lbs or more. Even in the summer---its not the delivery thats the problem but the loading!!

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:13 pm

Sherry, I said that most of the 30 days (which, as I said, is probably just a cautious outside estimate) would be accounted for by the shipment waiting in the Delancey warehouse for other loads that would fill out a trailer. The shipment would not be "blown on and blown off" any trailer, non-roadworthy or otherwise. It would be stored in their immaculate, spacious, and secure warehouse in SF (I have seen it with my own eyes) awaiting other loads.

joesgarage39

Postby joesgarage39 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:36 pm

A large bulk of the shipments that McCollister's carriers are non-household goods ie; special products, trade shows and the like. This isn't to say that they do not handle household goods at all because they do and I have handled a few of those shipments with little issues. But if I were chosing a company to move my goods I would choose someone other than them.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:06 pm

Thanks for the definition of "third proviso." I had heard the owner of Broadway Express say that he moves primarily "second proviso" goods but never knew what that meant. I Googled the terms just now and found these definitions:
1st Proviso - A shipment consisting of Household Goods.

2nd Proviso - A shipment consisting of furniture, fixtures, equipment and the property of stores, offices, museums, institutions, hospitals and other establishments.

3rd Proviso - A shipment consisting of Special Products.

http://www.atlasworldgroup.com/dictionary/?alpha=num

So, I learned something today! Thanks again. (And, I believe that "special products" includes things like computer CPUs, monitors, and printers . . . right?)

Return to “Open Community”