**Don Farr Moving

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
dazed n confused

**Don Farr Moving

Postby dazed n confused » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:34 pm

Hi,

Totally new to this board, and moving using a service.....but I only have about 3 weeks to get my family relocated 350 miles away!

Does anyone have any input on Don Farr Moving based in West Mifflin (Pittsburgh), PA ? or Hindman Moving and Storage, Butler, PA- Any input would be very helpful.

Also-great site- very useful-wish I would have looked here prior to much wasted telephone time.

Thanks!

Diane

Re: Don Farr Moving

Postby Diane » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:49 pm

Hi - I don't know anything about Hindman but Don Farr has bad remarks here. See this summary post and scroll down to Pittsburgh area - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7658#57658

BTW you are the second person to adopt that screen name. :D
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

dazed n confused

Postby dazed n confused » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:21 am

Thanks for the info, I did get an estimate from them already, but was leery because I had just heard a few negative things. I don't really have the time to investigate further, so unfortunately, they won't be getting my business.

:roll: This username sure seemed to be the perfect one for how I'm feeling right about now. We just found out about this move (job related) last week, will be moving by the end of the month, and I have a 3 1/2 yr old and 1 1/2 yr old little girls....Arrrrghhhh!!!! To top it all off, we just moved into our current house in mid-May--so I'm simply OVERWHELMED! Which is why I'm going with a moving company this time :)

Very excited about the opportunity- but the chaos is daunting :cry:

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:47 pm

Make sure that the companies you call will send someone out to do an in-home estimate for you! :)

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:05 pm

contact one of the van line agents to come give you an inhome estimate. Even though the agents represent the Van Lines, they can still perform local and intrastate moves within Pennsylvania on their own authority.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:30 pm

Just a note, Hindman, I am almost certain, is Don Farr's owner's sister's company, if that makes any sense. They have the same truck logo's with the only exception being Hindman for Don Farr.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

dafix

Postby dafix » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:32 pm

:D Good Company, they seem to get a lot of companies bad mouthing them in the area. I think it cause they normally try to meet or beat any ones rates.

Also they are the Official Movers of the Pittsburgh Penguins, the Preferred Mover of the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Preferred Moving & Storage Sponsor of the Pittsburgh Penguins. One thing you can count on is the Rooney's they would allow them to use their name if they weren't reputable.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:33 pm

Pitsburgh has 3 teams named penguins?

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:56 pm

I heard somewhere, that official movers of sports teams are often the worst movers in the city. I know in my city, the movers who pay for this advertising, are not considered among the best.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:35 pm

Self advertising, Donald A Fix, is not a practice that is allowed on this site.

Tell everyone about your BBB record. That's pretty impressive. Also, your reputation as the "cheap" mover in town is due to the fact that that is all you have to sell. The people in the area that are shopping for movers based on price alone end up getting you. And they pay for it. Dearly.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

dafix

Postby dafix » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:48 am

Actually Its not Donald A Fix and I am sure the organization can attest to that.

Actually a competitor here in Pennsylvania.

As far as any BBB record is concerned if you ever actually go to it. They say please reflect upon the number of total jobs a company might handle. Its really not a very accurate depiction. I even once read that a company as large as Kodak has left the BBB because they felt the practices were unfair and unrepresentative of the company and they were one of the founding members.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/ar ... laints.htm

Also every complaint appears to be responded to.

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:33 pm

So, enlighten me, what does your username stand for? That is quite a coincidence. Also, what competitor do you work for? Why would you come to this site to defend another company, without writing anything about your own company?

I'd really like to know what company you work for.

haast29

Postby haast29 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:18 am

On Dec 14th 2008 Don Farr and I agreed to move my client from a home in Jeannette PA. Estimate that was given to me was between $500-900. I authorized my Amex card, gave the info and asked for the invoice to be send to my two fax numbers provided. I also gave Don Farr representative my cell phone number to call me for any issues with the move and billing. Today, Dec 15, 2008 I logged into my Amex online account and there were charges for $2261. When I called Don Farr office for and explanation and invoice they said that it took them 13.5 hrs, at $110 per hour, for 4 men, to pack the 3 bedroom ranch style home. They also told me that they arrived at 9:15AM and left at 9:45PM. If my math serves me well, this is clearly 12 1/2 hrs. When I asked about it, Rob (works for Don Farr) counted the "traveling time" too. After talking to my client that was at home during entire move she informed me that the workers were very slow, they ordered Pizzas and ate for over 1hr which they should. I just don't feel that I have to pay for their lunch hour in the amount of $110. The fiasco goes on in my conversation with Rob. I was quoted up to $900 but no more, I was given my info to them (2 fax #'s, no invoices came through even when I asked for it twice today), a cell phone for billing issues was given. I offered to Rob that if 13.5 hrs at $110= $1485 I was willing to pay this amount since unexpected things happen and I understood the extra fees as long as they're reasonable. Rob offered to lower my bill from $2261 to around $2000. I said its too much and its not fair deal, I did not authorize this high amount and wanted to negotiate down to $1500. He said no way and I informed Rob that I'm filling the dispute with my American Express. Rob said: "I'll see you in court "explicit language" and Rob hang up the phone.
Now, If I'm going to pay the fair amount then I would pay only for 11.5 hrs at $110 per hour that equals $1265. I will make them an offer again.
Since Rob was generous in his "choice of words", I'm posting the same complaint in every possible website that I can find. I'm in real estate business and working with many real estate agents. I will make sure not to recommend Don Farr to any of them. Don Farr is not the part of BBB and complaints cannot be handled through them. Therefore people, here me out: "Do Not Use Don Farr for your moving services!". Thank You Very Much for Listening...

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:03 pm

Just a couple things about moving in the state of Pennsylvania:

1) There is no such thing as a binding estimate. You pay for actual time at the agreed rate. What I am getting to is that nobody can tell you that it will cost this much or that much. An estimators job is to give his expert opinion of how long it will take and, hence, what he estimates the cost to be. If it takes more or less time than the estimate, you pay those costs. However, you are only responsible to pay for 110% of the estimate at the time of delivery and can defer paying the balance for 15 days after delivery.

2) The travel charge is legit.

3) The time taken for lunch should have been taken off of the time for the move.

There is information omitted from this post that we need to know in order to fairly access your claim:

1) There should be a small fuel surcharge included, but that is the only other "required" charge that would be on your bill.

2) What other services did the mover provide that led to the bill being $2261? Did they do packing? Purchase valuation coverage(not that that comes in too handy when dealing with DF)? Have 3rd party services? In other words, what did the mover do that wasn't on the estimate?

3) I don't even understand what it means to have an estimate that was BETWEEN $500-900? Did you get multiple estimates from different movers?

It really doesn't suprise me that you had a very low quality move, however, it does suprise me that there are scam-like tactics that you claim occured during this move.

Also, why was "your client" the person that was present during your move?

washingtondcnotpa

Re: **Don Farr Moving

Postby washingtondcnotpa » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:58 pm

We recently moved from the Pgh PA area (lifelong residents for 50 years) to the Washington DC area and used this forum to assist us in our decision making process for choosing a moving company. We moved as a result of a job change. There are many conflicting reports on Don Farr Moving and we would like to give you our experience with their firm. We decided to get 3 estimates for comparison purposes and Don Farr was the cheapest. I did some research and since my wife handled the process I had her read some of the entries in this blog. Long story short, we decided to go with them, as much for their candor and friendly demeanor as much as the price. We were very satisfied with the manner in which they handled the move, from packing to storage to the unload in our new home. The amount that they charged us was reduced as a result of us getting into our home earlier than we expected. We don't believe that this is something that all firms would do. They did break a lamp and nick a couple pieces of furniture, but for the money they saved us initially and with the additional dollars reduced after the loading was completed, we just ignored these issues, as they were minor. The movers were friendly and courteous and we would use them again or refer them to others. We don't have museum quality items and are just average Pittsburghers, but what we have we like and they treated our things and us with respect. We hope this helps others make a decision during a stressful time.

Return to “Open Community”