Move from NYC to Maine

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
maradino

Move from NYC to Maine

Postby maradino » Wed May 28, 2008 11:48 am

My husband and I are moving from Manhattan to Portland, ME in two weeks. We got a lot of quotes for full service movers but after extensive agonizing we have decided to go with renting a Penske truck and are thinking of getting loading and unloading help from a site like emove.

The problem is, on the Maine end, emove doesn't have a lot of options and there just isn't a lot of information out there about reputable moving companies in Maine. My in-laws, who live in Maine, have used Earle W. Noyes & Sons with good results, though I know the company has had a few BBB complaints. I may end up seeing whether I can get some unloading help through them. If anyone has any advice about where to go for unloading help in Portland, ME, I'm all ears.

And I will be back here in a few weeks to report on my experience. This site has been such a help to me with this process, I hope I can pay it forward.

smatwilly

Re: Move from NYC to Maine

Postby smatwilly » Thu May 29, 2008 8:37 am

There is a company in Bangor, Maine - 2 hrs north of Portland who has a very good reputation---Central Maine Moving & Storage. They had the account with the University of Maine at Orono as well as Eastern Maine Medical Center------it can be costly because of where you are moving from---its not a huge distance so most companies would charge a minimum--if you need help unloading you can call Allen & Coles in Portland--they may be too busy to do it but it cant hurt to call--- Good luck & if you need more help or advice feel free to pm me----I am not too far from Portland, Maine----

Sherry
in Maine

maradino

Postby maradino » Fri May 30, 2008 10:02 am

Wow, thanks, that is really helpful. I will look into those two companies.

maradino

Postby maradino » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:45 pm

I just completed my move from NYC to Portland, Maine and I have to say it went really well. I rented my truck from Penske. We got a AAA discount, which was nice. My husband went to pick it up at 11am on Friday. We knew that was when street cleaning alternate side of the street parking went into effect on our side of the street, so while he was getting the truck I set myself up with two folding chairs and blocked off a big parking space for the truck right in front. We were able to get it into the space without any hassle from NYPD Traffic or desperate parkers, just after noon. We reserved moving help through emove - Darling Movers in Manhattan and Bakers Midcoast Movers in Maine. The Darling Mover guys showed up around 1:30 as scheduled, and were able to pack up the truck in just under two hours (the minimum you can reserve). They were so helpful, fitting everything in like a tetris puzzle and even taking on some extra stuff from our downstairs neighbors when we discovered we had room for it. The next day on the Portland, Maine side, Bakers Midcoast Movers showed up around 4pm as scheduled and also had all the unloading done in under two hours. I would say that if you don't mind driving the truck, setting up movers through emove and driving the truck yourself is the way to go. It was about $1000 cheaper from the full service quotes that we got, and we still got what we wanted - not having to lift anything heavy up and down stairs.

If anyone wants any advice about moving out of Manhattan (sell your clothes at Beacon's Closet and buy boxes online! I used the link on movingscam) or moving into Portland, I would be happy to give it. For now though, I will say - thumbs up to Penske, emove and movingscam, who have made me a very happy newly moved Mainiac.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:21 pm

Thanks for coming back with this report! Glad it all went well!

lulalou

Re: **Move from NYC to Maine

Postby lulalou » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:11 am

Hi there,

I am moving from Brooklyn to Camden, ME (an hour and a half north of Portland) sometime between the 24th and 28th of this month. I have reserved a 16' Pentske truck and am looking for drivers/loaders. I'm wondering if there's anyway we could combine our efforts or if you've had any luck finding good help I may also be able to hire.

I also have a cheap truck (89.99/day) reserved with a local company, but it would need to be returned to Brooklyn. I'm still working out the details, so am very open to any type of

Thanks so much. Would love to hear from you.

Elizabeth

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:30 am

Hi, Mara - in searching on Google for contact info for Bakers Midcoast Movers, I found your wonderful, exuberant blog describing your move and the runup to it at http://marainmaine.blogspot.com/

Thanks SO MUCH for plugging MovingScam.com, as follows:
There's one resource that has been absolutely indispensable for this move. Matt discovered it: movingscam.com. Created and maintained by a group of living saints that have experienced the soul crushing frustration of being scammed by movers, it has tons of information and resources for moving. If you're ever planning on moving anywhere, I would suggest logging some serious hours on this site before giving anyone your money or belongings.

I'm glad the website was helpful to you, and best of luck to you and your husband in Portland. I have to say, your blog suggests that you are the kind of person that good things happen to! I'll add Darling Movers and Bakers Midcoast Movers to the Superlist for NYC and Maine respectively, to help others find loading and unloading help.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

lulalou

Postby lulalou » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:46 am

Hello again,

This is such great information. Thanks to all who run the site and post here.

I would love to talk to Darling Movers but can't find any contact information for them. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Elizabeth

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:55 am

Hi, Elizabeth - Mara said they were in Manhattan but I believe they are actually in Brooklyn, because that's what the owner said when he came on here to post a while back. A moderator removed his phone number before I could write it down. Just go on emove.com and contact Darling Movers through there. Additional info about them is on the Superlist linked to below my name, under Brooklyn, under "New York City."

Another company that could probably provide moving help is Shea Moving at www.sheamoving.com in Queens.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

lulalou

Postby lulalou » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:08 am

Thank you Diane...I will go through emovers. And also look at the company you suggested.

Elizabeth

smatwilly

Postby smatwilly » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:45 am

lualu--there is a NorthAmerican agent in Rockland (just beside Camden) called Knowltons Moving & Stg--they might unload for you-----here is their number to call - 800-649-2551--real good people who own the agency!

Good luck--Camden is a beautiful area!

maradino

Postby maradino » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:25 am

The contact info for Darling:
Phone: (917) 392-1403
Email: darlingmovers@gmail.com

The contact info for Bakers Midcoast Movers:
Phone: (207) 386-4016
Email: bakersmidcoastmovers@hotmail.com

That's fun that you discovered the blog, Diane! I hope other people moving to Maine are helped by this info.

Thanks again.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:43 pm

You're welcome, and I posted the additional info. And thank YOU for calling us here at the website "a group of living saints." We needed that!

lulalou

Postby lulalou » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:21 pm

THANK YOU!!!

I really appreciate your taking the time to help.

Elizabeth

joliost3

Postby joliost3 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:42 am

Well I didn't know moving from NYC actually the Island for me to ME was common thanks for the info.

Return to “Open Community”