getting a bit desperate

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
paloar

getting a bit desperate

Postby paloar » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:54 pm

hi, I'm moving from Long Island (Centerport) to California (Sausalito), end of June to mid July (or so I hope). I thought I had everything I had gone online gotten quotes from tons of companies and just thought now companies were doing everything online. But before finalizing last Friday with the company I had chosen (Statewide Van Lines, who quoted me 4650 lbs at $ 0.63 = 2929.50, for a three bedroom + office house) and leaving a $300 I decided to google them just in case and found this website and of course it all hit me like a ton of bricks so now I'm trying to regain lost time.

SO far this is what I have: I contacted United Van Lines and Moovers, Moovers is fully booked and I have and appointment scheduled with Liberty Movinf for United. I thought I had also set up an estimate with Atlas Van Lines but it turned out to be a broker website with the name Atlas Van in it or something I guess because today I have been receiving calls from all kinds of shady companies and I can't even answer my phone anymore. Anyhow I also got a call from a company called Bekins which I did not contact but since I see here that it seems to be legitimate I scheduled an appointment with them as well.

Summary: 2 appts: Liberty Moving and Bekins (don't know the agent yet) very worried and stressed
ANY word of advice will be greatly appreciated!

Diane

Re: getting a bit desperate

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:27 pm

Hi - I'm so glad you found this website in time.

Liberty is a reputable company and I understand that it is the main booker/hauler for United Van Lines out of the New York area. Another good company, also a United agent, is Hall-Lane on Long Island. It has better reviews here than Liberty, actually.

I would advise you not to use Bekins if the agent is Maffucci, because of reviews and comments here. I would cancel the estimate if I were you.

To see what has been said here about agents in your area, click on the link below my name and scroll down to "New York City" and "New York - Long Island" on the fourth page. There are five or six separate posts just on New York City-area movers.

I am a little concerned because your quote from Stateside seems like a lowball quote. A 3BR plus office house would normally be much more than 5,000 pounds. This means that the cost of your move with a reputable company will probably be much more than you initially expected.

ANY company that quotes like that, in a price per pound, is suspect, in my opinion. Reputable movers do not do that - they give you an overall price.

If the Liberty quote is too high for your budget, consider using either ABF U-Pack or Broadway Express. They are freight companies that normally charge about 40% less than a full-service mover like Liberty or Moovers. You do have to find loading and unloading labor, but we can help you do that. Each of these companies has dozens of mostly rave reviews on sticky posts at the top of the messageboard.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

paloar

Postby paloar » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:21 pm

Hi Diane,

Thanks for your response, I'll be sure to look into Hall-Lane. Right now it's probably too late for me to cancel the estimate with Bekins as they're coming first thing tomorrow, but I'll beware, especially, I'm concerned because I didn't even contact them. Statewide is definitely off my list for good, especially after reading that my house would be about 5000 pounds. Let's see what the numbers look like maybe I'll be back asking about the ABF Broadway service (this would be a last resort for me). Well I need to go get some sleep again thank you so much!

joesgarage39

Postby joesgarage39 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:40 pm

Liberty is a very fine company so if you end up with them they will serve your needs well. One note; you WILL have a shuttle in Sausalito so mention it to the salesman when doing your survey. That is an area that is not truck friendly in the least. One way to confirm is to have the agent that is handling your move to call the destination agent to check the address. Actually they will not have to go and check if they use the sausalito agent for destination services. I have been there many times and there was only once that I did not have to perform a shuttle there. I hope all goes well for you.

paloar

Postby paloar » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:57 pm

I should have gone to sleep by now but of course I'm still here. I'm actually moving to probably the only wide, straight road in Sausalito, you probably know which one I mean. I'll make sure to mention the shuttle. I just asked for an estimate from Avatar as well, that way I have more choices. Glad you guys are here. Thanks.

cds718

Postby cds718 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:31 am

Not sure if you're still interested in getting quotes, but I'm moving from Brooklyn to Los Angeles in July and after getting 4 quotes I decided to work with Mayflower/Molloy Bros. out of Long Island. I haven't moved yet, so take this advice for what it's worth (no outcome yet) but I did a ton of research, here and other places. They have some mixed reviews but the recent poor reviews seem to pop up in different places from the same 2 complaintants. My move coordinator has been outstanding. She's called me three or four times to verify certain things and they are working with me on shuttles and coordinating alternate side parking in NY, etc... My move is complicated, my husband has to stay in our house for an additional 6 months and so in every room it's "take this, but don't take that. Pack the contents but don't take the item, etc..." They have been very detailed and seem to be working with me to make sure things go smoothly in a slightly complicated situation. Being a Mayflower company, they also have a nice tight pick-up/delivery window. Appx.. 7 days to California. good luck.

paloar

Postby paloar » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:10 am

Hi Thanks! I think I'll wait to see what happens today but I'll keep them in mind if need a fourth quote. Good luck with your move!

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:49 pm

I know you may now be done receiving your estimates and requesting quotes/information, one more you could try would be Suddath located in New York City they also have an office near your destination in San Jose.

Once you receive your estimates please review carefully and make your decision quickly, most major carriers are beginning to have cut offs in regards to service dates. I just learned today in my area, that I have to have all shipments into the system by Thursday, 6/19/08 that want to load by 7/6/08! As long as you are flexible to the middle of July you should be okay.
"Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."

paloar

Postby paloar » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:53 pm

Wow! By Thursday, that would give me one night to decide, my last estimate is coming tomorrow (Avatar). My move in date in California is July 15, that would be my ideal, at worst I need to leave NY before the 12th of July, but the would really be worst case scenario and cutting it super tight. Right now I'm a bit on freakout mode after seeing the first two estimates, seriously reconsidering what really needs to go to California with me.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:26 pm

Suddath San Jose is quite a distance from Sausalito, but there is Crown Worldwide in San Leandro, Chipman in Alameda. There is also Graf United in San Rafael, which is actually the closest to Sausalito.

Recipe for a fun move in Sausalito..... Moving a shipper onto a houseboat, while maneuvering on a floating pier.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

paloar

Postby paloar » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:30 pm

ok you made me laugh, that was nice :lol:

PMueller

Postby PMueller » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:27 am

BigLeeCalif wrote:Suddath San Jose is quite a distance from Sausalito.

Approx. 60 miles is not that far away!! (Suddath covers a radius much larger than that in most locations.)

I was only pointing out that they may have a truck in NY that is headed back to CA since they have offices in both general vicinities. Suddath has large hauling abilities with the number of units available to them with the offices nationwide.

All of the United offices mentioned by BigLee would be good service providers on the destination end.
"Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."

paloar

Postby paloar » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:33 pm

So I got my estimates and here's the deal:

Maffucci: 7800 lbs at $8200 full packing, shuttles would be 4 to 500 extra on each side and insurance (about 360 +), price would not exceed 10% of quote. Ken Goodwin seemed very helpful, willing to answer all questions, cover all bases. Spoke highly of the other two companies, told me I shouldn't worry I would be in good hands with them as well.

Liberty: 7252 lbs at $9205.55 no packing, includes insurance, shuttles..., Howard Seigel seems very professional, definitely seems to cover all bases, requires wider time frame for delivery than Maffucci.

Avatar: 5505 lbs at $5455.17 no packing, no insurance, includes one shuttle. Arrived at the end of the time scheduled for him to arrive, stayed about 20 min, so I have less information overall about this company than the other two.

joesgarage39

Postby joesgarage39 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:39 pm

Liberty seems really high for no packing. They are very good people there, I have been in their office several times and have done work for them. Always on the ball. Malfucci I do not know much about on a personal level but have not heard any bad things about them. Their price seems to be in the ballpark.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:03 pm

To compare these quotes accurately, all the quotes need to be the same type (Binding Not to Exceed is what MovingScam.com recommends) and they all need to be for the same services, for example no packing, no extra valuation coverage or full packing, full replacement value coverage with zero deductible, etc. In addition, Avatar's weight estimate seems way low to me for a 3BR plus office house. I would recommend that you call the various reps to have each of them give you a Binding Not to Exceed quote on whatever services you decide you need.

Return to “Open Community”