Any reviews of Stevens Van Lines, Miami to San Diego?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
b1097

Any reviews of Stevens Van Lines, Miami to San Diego?

Postby b1097 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:36 am

This site has been very helpful and I have checked out Stevens on the links provided. I noticed that one of the posts stated that Stevens has been around for a long time, but the local carriers (for lack of a better word) maybe where there can be problems.
I am moving from Miami Beach to San Diego and Stevens would use "Cousins USA" in Miami and "Solidarity Storing" in San Diego. Does anyone have any advise on these companies?
Thank you.

Rick

Re: Any reviews of Stevens Van Lines, Miami to San Diego?

Postby Rick » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:16 am

The Cousins, Clem and Joe, operate a smaller, well managed agency but have one of Stevens' highest "use again" quality scores from past customers. Most of their trucks stay east of the Mississippi which means that the van line will likely handle your transportation to the west coast.

Unless you require storage in California, Solidarity is only listed as point of contact at destination and wouldn't normally participate in your move unless there was a problem.

b1097

Postby b1097 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:34 am

Excellent. Thank you for you assistance.

Let me ask one more thing -

We have weeks window in which to accept delivery of our goods in San Diego before getting back to work. We are very flexible on when we can have our goods picked up from Miami. Is it generally a problem getting a date locked down for delivery? We were told 6 - 18 days which seems like a big spread. Our shipment was estimated at 4000 lbs.

Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:54 am

That's probably the van lines normal transit schedule for a shipment your size. If you're moving during the peak summer moving season, expect your things to arrive sooner rather than later. Normally it takes longer in the winter while the driver's dispatcher looks for other connecting tonnage. The faster a driver can get unloaded in the summer, the more money he's likely to make.

Most drivers won't confirm their delivery date until 24-48 hours before they plan to arrive. Constantly changing customer schedules, house closings, travel times, equipment problems, road conditions and log book compliance concern make it impractical to try to do it any earlier.

Ask the driver for a "window" when he think he will arrive. Be sure to give him any and all contact info for you and your family so he can advise you with a confirmed date.

b1097

Postby b1097 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:03 pm

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

Return to “Open Community”