Good report on J. HERSCHEL KENDRICK MOVING & STORAGE, INC; Lebanon, O

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
BobRoss

Good report on J. HERSCHEL KENDRICK MOVING & STORAGE, INC; Lebanon, O

Postby BobRoss » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:08 pm

Hi all,

After looking at the Ohio recommended list, I found the J. Kendrick moving company located here:
http://www.kendrickmoving.com/

However, when I visit the DOT website and I search for them by name it results in
USDOT Number: 875493,
MC #: 383050.

With those #s, I get:
http://ai.volpe.dot.gov/hhg/SearchDetai ... state%3DOH

Licensing & Insurance Status: Inactive

Clicking on the more info takes me to:
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... tno=383050

I then click "View HTML" and get their report.

It states:
Common NONE
Contract INACTIVE
Broker NONE
Property NO
Passenger NO
Household Goods YES
Private NO
Enterprise NO

If I go to Safer.org, and do the same search, I get:
http://www.safer.fmcsa.dot.gov/query.as ... RAGE%20INC

Is this the SAME company that was recommended by a user? They don't appear to be licensed!! Can someone help?

Thanks!!

BobRoss

Re: J. HERSCHEL KENDRICK MOVING & STORAGE, INC; Lebanon, OH

Postby BobRoss » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:19 pm

Hmm,

In this thread, it is posted a different DOT http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 6723#76723

That DOT appears to be "active"... they have a similar name and are in the same small town...

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:29 pm

Same company but they've tabled their interstate motor carrier authority. Kendrick Moving & Storage is an agent for Stevens Van Lines (USDOT #: 72029; MC #: 74681), a midsized van line based in Michigan. They now do all of their interstate hauling under Stevens' operating authority. Last year they were recognized by the corporate office for their consistently high quality service ratings and continued cooperation with other agents and carriers.

They're not only decent movers but also pretty good musicians - after the third or fourth beer.

BobRoss

Postby BobRoss » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:57 pm

Rick,

Thanks for your reply. Is that a common occurrence in the industry? Just a bit spooked with all the horrors (the horror!) I've been reading on this site!

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:54 pm

Musicians, huh? I know a pretty good Karaoke expert, after a couple beers.

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:00 pm

Not really. Motor carriers in general manage their authority in different ways for different reasons. National van lines are composed of groups of independant businesses that may or may not have their own interstate operating authority. Some parent companies require their agents to forfeit or shelve their authority while under contract. Others, like Stevens, allow their agents to keep their authority but refuse to allow co-mingling of shipments. Kendrick's let theirs lapse because the company got more benefit working in the van line environment.

Jim and Gregg are good people and Stevens is a reputable national carrier. Nothing to worry about.

Plains (United) and Lewis and Michael Inc. (Atlas) are two other good companies in the area.

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:09 pm

Try getting an estimate to from Planes-United, and Lewis and Michael-Atlas. Most people would recommend three estimates.

I honestly wrote this before reading Rick's post, so there must be something to it.

BobRoss

Re: **J. HERSCHEL KENDRICK MOVING & STORAGE, INC; Lebanon, OH

Postby BobRoss » Sat May 03, 2008 11:24 am

Everyone:

Completed my move yesterday with Kendrick Moving.

Gotta say, it went very well -- they arrived right on time, quickly and professionally packed everything.

A few hours later, they arrived and despite some intermittent rain got everything in my new place speedily and without any problems!

Would definitely recommend them to anyone in the area.

However, if you have something like a big screen plasma or LCD TV, they contract out for a crating service that is VERY expensive (and you need to pay THEM to uncrate it for their insurance to cover it).

Plains-United quote was a bit higher than Kendrick but offered a much more economical crating service that didn't require them to uncrate it to be covered with insurance.

In the end, I elected to wrap it myself.

Anyway, just FYI.

MusicMom

Re: **Good report on J. HERSCHEL KENDRICK MOVING & STORAGE, INC; Lebano

Postby MusicMom » Sat May 03, 2008 5:22 pm

Thanks for coming back to let us know!

BobRoss

Postby BobRoss » Sat May 03, 2008 9:18 pm

MusicMom: I noticed the OH superlist was updated -- this is for an interstate move (Oxford, Ohio to Lexington, Kentucky).

Thanks!!

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat May 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Thanks for the correction, Bob. How did you wrap the TV, if you would like to describe it for us? How was Planes going to protect it?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

rydog444

Re: Good report on J. HERSCHEL KENDRICK MOVING & STORAGE, INC; Lebanon,

Postby rydog444 » Sat May 03, 2008 10:05 pm

I think plains was going to have it crated as well, but at a less expensive cost.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

BobRoss

Postby BobRoss » Sat May 03, 2008 10:10 pm

My solution:
I took the TV to the UPS store across the street from me; they placed it in a "bicycle box" and spent quite some time packing it up (different bubble/padding, etc.). The total price was $29.24.

My understanding is that a crating system would render the TV pretty invulnerable; the UPS-wrapping would've failed had the box slipped and got a ding, fell over on the truck, or otherwise been mis-handled.

Definitely a roll of the dice on that one, but given the prices of TVs nowadays and the age/valuation of mine, the replacement cost of my TV was probably near what they were charging to crate it.

Planes Solution:
Planes was also going to hire a service to crate it -- I don't know who or what their method exactly was, but the sales rep showed me a brochure in the home-estimate showing some people building a crate around something and lead me to believe it would be similar to that.

I no longer have the quote but I believe it was around $200 for the crating service (uncrating was an additional hundred or so).

Planes said that I could pay them to uncrate it, but that it was not necessary for them to do so in order to receive replacement coverage (never got far enough to see the fine print on that, though). I had to merely "follow the instructions" to still be covered (I guess if I took a chainsaw to the crate, that would void the warrantee? :))

Kendrick Solution:
I don't know who their vendor is or how it works, but it would've been approximately $630 for the whole process (crating/uncrating) with full coverage.

cmc

Lewis & Michael

Postby cmc » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:23 pm

I am new to the forum and am finding it very useful! Anyway, I know this is a bit late but I wanted to add my 2 cents for anyone who might be considering Lewis & Michael (an Atlas agent) in Columbus, OH: I second Rick's and bigmove's recommendation. I used them two years ago for an OH-MD move, and everything went smoothly. The estimator (Irene Lane) was extremely helpful and the driver (Tec) and the moving crew were highly professional. I did my own packing and L&M provided me with free used boxes. They were also very flexible with the dates (the crew arrived in my destination one day before I did, but were willing to wait an extra day to unload). They were also flexible enough to make an extra stop at my new office to unload a desk and some boxes for a small charge. Overall I was very satisfied!

mschneid02

Postby mschneid02 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:54 pm

I echo the good report on Kendrick moving. I moved today - an in-town move. My first apartment was on the 2nd/3rd floors and I moved to a place on the 2nd & 3rd floors. The movers arrived on time and were very professional. I told them that a few items needed extra care and they treated those items exactly the way you want your movers to treat your furniture: with a ton of respect & care. In the new apartment, I had some difficult stairs (steep and oddly angled). They laid down furniture pads and taped them to the railings. They did their best getting the diffcult items - like a boxspring - through with very minimal nicks. My friend & I helped carry some of the smaller items. Between that and the fact that the driver did some great maneuvers with the truck to get as close as possible, the move was ahead of schedule and under budget, taking only 2.25 hrs total. I would definitely use these guys again.

I was very stressed about the entire experience, but I will rest easily tonight after a great move.

Return to “Open Community”