Reputable movers in the State College PA area

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
c_pa_Mo

Reputable movers in the State College PA area

Postby c_pa_Mo » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:28 pm

We're moving from State College PA to Columbia Mo. We've gotten similar estimates from both Hoy Transfer (Atlas) and Parks-Centre (United).

Which company should we use? I've had limited success finding information about either company.

ArchieWhite

Re: Reputable movers in the State College PA area

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:38 pm

The Parks company is a fine, long standing United Van Lines agent, the Williams family has run it like forever, they would be good to choose.

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:54 pm

I say go with Hoy. Of course I'm with Atlas and Archie is with United, so neither of our opinions probaby mean much.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:01 pm

I don't know what kind of deal you worked out, but everytime I successfully refer a client to a fellow United/Mayflower agent, I send them a bill for my finders fee....I won't tell you how much it is, except to say that it will allow me to continue my double espresso cappucino latte habit at Starbucks.

bosoxfan

Postby bosoxfan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:32 pm

Archie,

Better hope they do not plan to close the Starbucks near you or you will be heading to Mc'D's like the rest of us for our morning cup of Joe.

PNC Bank uses Parks out of Pitt and the one in your area I assume would be associated with them (Diane, Musicmom or Rick could confirm this for me). I used them per PNC in 2000 to move my belongings from a NAVL agent in MA to MD - no complaints. On time, professional and quick.

chaz4moving

Re: **Reputable movers in the State College PA area

Postby chaz4moving » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:58 pm

In my opinion, all three of the major van line agents in State College are good people. Hoy Transfer had been with northAmerican and just made the switch to Atlas in April. I hear they are happy with their new affiliation and everything I have ever heard about them has been positive. The Parks in State College is the same company PNC uses in the Pittsburgh area. They have a couple of offices in Western PA and in eastern PA they have a location in West Chester. And Archie is certainly correct about the Williams family. They run a good business. The other major van line agent in State College is Keystone Relocation. They represent Allied and are connected with Williamsport Moving Company out of Williamsport PA. Again, a well run family business. Prices being similar, I say go with the salesperson who earned your business with his/her professionalism, knowledge, and helpfulness.
Last edited by chaz4moving on Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:44 pm

Chaz4moving is right.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:08 am

bosoxfan,

How come Parks was a hauling agent for a NAVL company?

bosoxfan

Postby bosoxfan » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:30 am

Diane,

This is what happened. Where we lived in Quincy - was purchased by a new owner and wanted to live in the house we rented. The day I was moving out - I was interviewed by my current employer (PNC). I used Ayer Moving & Storage out of Ayer while I awaited word on a new place in MA and the job by PNC in PA. The move from Quincy to Ayer was out of my pocket. When I got the job with PNC, they would pay for the relocation fees - so it only made sense to use the company that PNC had an agreement with (Parks). That is why in an earlier post - the United truck went to a NAVL agent (Ayer) to pick up our stuff - the UVL driver referenced the comment I placed on the box about my wife's cook book collection is only for display purposes.

Return to “Open Community”