Michiganders / Former Michiganders... little help?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
lazarus

Michiganders / Former Michiganders... little help?

Postby lazarus » Fri May 30, 2008 2:51 pm

This is such a great website! It's saved me so much hassle and money already.

I've gotten estimates from 4 movers in SE Michigan (I live in Ann Arbor) for a smallish move (about 5000 lb). Three of the companies I talked to (Corrigan, DMS, and Morse) have been written about here already. However, the 4th doesn't seem to have gotten any write-ups here yet-- University Moving and Storage (NorthAmerican). It looks like maybe NorthAmerican changed agents in this area recently because there is another company, Palmer, mentioned in the Superlist as the NorthAmerican agent.

Anyway, the estimate I got from University Mvg & Stg was good, and I'm considering going with them... but first wanted to shout out here and see whether anyone has heard anything about them.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and thanks to everyone who participates in such a useful site to help rookies like me.

Rick

Re: Michiganders / Former Michiganders... little help?

Postby Rick » Fri May 30, 2008 3:07 pm

Not being listed at a site called movingscam is frequently a plus for most of the thousands of legitimate carriers, agents, and independant companies you won't find indexed here.

All of the companies you mentioned - including University - are established, well respected van line agents. Most have several offices, including some outside of Michigan.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri May 30, 2008 3:49 pm

University was actually praised here by a person who works for a North American agent in Maine - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 261#102261 She says that it's a large agent that hauls a lot of its own shipments (desirable).
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri May 30, 2008 8:28 pm

Go Blue!

lazarus

Postby lazarus » Fri May 30, 2008 11:23 pm

Thanks, Diane-- my search missed that one for some reason.

And good point, Rick!

A2socworker

Postby A2socworker » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:31 am

Thanks for the input regarding Michigan moving companies. We're moving from Ann Arbor to Chicago area, and just got an estimate from Corrigan. They definitely lived up to their reputation for honesty and kindness. After discussing our moving needs and the realities of our tiny apartment complex parking lot, the representative actually suggested other moving companies and suggested that I contact them for a better deal! He even discussed the pros and cons of the other companies. (From what I can tell, there is no business affiliation between Corrigan and these local carriers.) We will probably take our business elsewhere because the Corrigan shuttle fees would cost over $1000 extra, after they load a smaller truck in our apt complex, then shuttle to the large truck loading dock, REload our stuff, and then deliver our stuff to Chicago within 2-8 days spread, then repeat the shuttling process (c'mon!) Comparatively, Men on the Move or Two Men and a Truck can deliver within 24 hours, one truck load/unload, without shuttle fees, and a comparable baseline estimate. Men on the Move DOES have a valid DOT number now, btw -- should fix that information on the Michigan page.

At my request, (even after we'd both agreed that I will probably use another company) the Corrigan rep STILL took the time to walk through my apartment and give me a detailed estimate of my packing costs, a final weight estimate, and suggested some moving tips to avoid scams. What a nice company -- I would totally recommend them for a longer move (over 500 miles).

I'll keep you posted on my experiences with the other moving companies.

Diane

Re: **Michiganders / Former Michiganders... little help?

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:56 pm

Thanks for this excellent report on Corrigan,which I added to the Superlist. If you see this and want to give the name of the sales rep, I will post that too.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”