What the moving company is not listed in safersys.org?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
coast2coast

What the moving company is not listed in safersys.org?

Postby coast2coast » Tue May 04, 2004 12:42 am

I looked up safersys.org for the companies RAINIER MOVING SYSTEMS, INC (NewCastle, WA) and CROWN MOVING COMPANY, INC. (Seattle, WA), both listed as MAYFLOWER Agents. Both the companies are not listed. These companies are listed in the local phone book, but where can I get their DOT #s and MC/MX #s. Is there any other way of checking their history. When we call up, they give the details of their parent company Mayflower. How can we check if they are the real representatives? :?:

Tyrone

Re: What the moving company is not listed in safersys.org?

Postby Tyrone » Tue May 04, 2004 1:45 am

Go to the main mayflower web site; there is an agent locator/search function you can use to verify agent status.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.

Postby Guest » Tue May 04, 2004 2:41 am

Thank you very much for your reply. We will also call MayFlower tomorrow to verify. Our only concern was that the companies were not listed in the SaferSYS.org. Also we are not sure about the relationsships between the agents and the main company? In some cases Agents have all the details like USDOT # etc separate from the parent company.
While in some cases, the agent information is listed in the parent company's website, there is no way to verify their history.
Anyway thanks for the reply. If anyone can throw some light on this issue, your help will be much appreciated.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue May 04, 2004 8:26 am

A lot of times, when you can't find the company in the Safer database by a name search, it's because the registered name is slightly different than the one you're plugging in. It might have a different spelling, or the registered name has a AAA in front (to get it's listing at the top of alphabetical lists). Or, the agent is using Mayflower's authority for moves. Or, the registered name is something completely different, and you have to look for their registered names through different avenues. When I can't find a company by name search, I go to Google and plug in their name in quotes. One of their hits should be a yellow pages listing or other ad with their DOT or MC number listed (compare addresses to make sure it's your company). Or go to their website and look. Good companies will list their numbers in plain view, usually at the bottom of the home page. If the number is not listed on their website, this is concerning, since scammers try to hide their numbers.

Searches by names are pretty unreliable, since there are so many novers with similar names across the country. I have been caught a few times posting the wrong company's info, and skewered for it. Now I'm more cautious. You do have to find their DOT and MC numbers for an exact search. If all else fails, call them up and ask what their numbers are. But if they put you on hold indefinitly, or have to go "ask the manager", or give you a false-sounding number, cross them off your list. An MC number has 5-6 numbers. A DOT number has 6-7 numbers, beginning probably around the 900,000 range (unless the company's been in business for a long time, and their number could start as low as 500,000). If their number gets into the 1,000,000 range, they are newer, and their record should be more carefully scrutinized. If you find a company with ONLY an MC number and no DOT number, they are probably a broker, and should be passed up anyway.

When all else fails, post all the info you have here and we'll find them. I bet your guys are using Mayflower's authority, which is common for interstate moves.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue May 04, 2004 11:11 am

coast2coast,

MusicMom's advice is excellent. You can also go to the FMCSA Licensing & Insurance website at http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/ and put in the names of companies and the state they're located in, and often come up with information absent from www.safersys.org.

I found that Rainier Overseas, Inc. in Newcastle, WA, is listed as a freight forwarder on that site and that Crown Moving Company, Inc., in Seattle, WA, is listed there and on safersys.org with MC #407222. There is some information given about both companies--more about Crown (which looks OK) than about Rainier. I couldn't find a listing for "Rainier Moving Systems."

I'm not sure whether you're planning an international or a domestic move. However, if you do a search on this website on "Rainier," you'll find several threads where the company is mentioned. On one of them, "Rainier Overseas Movers," there is a long discussion of the merits of the company, including positive opinions by reps from Chipman-United Van Lines and California Movers Express in Hayward, CA.

I recall from that discussion that the agent for California Movers Express, Robyn Visser, seemed to be especially on top of things and she might be willing to comment on your concerns about Rainier Overseas if you contact her. (Remind her that she handled a move for Chuck and he posted about it on MovingScam.)

Crown has also been discussed on this messageboard. Again, do a search. (On one thread it is misspelled as "Crowne.")

Hope this helps. If you let us know whether you've moving internationally or domestically, and where from and to, we may be able to advise you further.

coast2coast

Postby coast2coast » Wed May 05, 2004 1:10 am

Thank you very much every one. Your valuble help has saved me from getting cheated. Also I want to find out if there any movers that are exclusively for Small moves? We have about 1500 Pounds of stuff to be moved. Moving from Seattle WA going to Atlanta. I am scared to trust "Minimoves". With "ABF Upack" loading/unloading is difficult and since we do not have a permanent destination we need storage. Can Anyone suggest any top 3 moving/trucking company that might match our need. thanks in advance.

RobinCorgi

Postby RobinCorgi » Wed May 05, 2004 9:22 am

Hey there Coast2coast - we too are moving to Atlanta, from NV and I have gotten some good pricing with Road Runner Moving and storage, Oasis Moving and Storage, and am awaiting a requote from the mover that brought us out here in Sept. from Atlanta = Net Move. They were the best movers I have had to date and we have moved cross country and north to south 6 times. When are you due to move? Maybe our loads could go together?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 05, 2004 9:56 am

Just a general caution to all who post here--do not act on recommendations from anonymous posters without checking into the recommended companies very carefully.

Roadrunner, for example, has been discussed before on this website, and not favorably. Do a search on the name. Oasis Moving and Storage in Las Vegas, NV (MC #476853) is not licensed to move household goods--only freight--and in any case its license for that dates only from January 2004. It advertises on www.vanlines.com and www.123movers.com, two websites that funnel customers to scammers.

NetMove, Inc. (legal name John F. Krysak), with MC #386658, is headquartered in Norcross, GA, a hotbed of scam movers. It also advertises on vanlines.com. If the anonymous poster did indeed have a successful move with this company, he or she is very, very lucky.

RobinCorgi

Postby RobinCorgi » Wed May 05, 2004 1:54 pm

Here's another website that provides lists of "bad" moving experiences and the companies assoc. with them ripoffreport.com.

You can also use it for researching rip offs in other industries and service providers! By the way, Net Move in Norcross, GA is a relatively new company whose owner worked for one of the biggies for years. Check out their website to see the handwritten postings of people who have used them. Their trucks have their logos, movers are their own, not brokered out, and I wouldn't rule them out, just because they have advertised at a website that others have run scams through.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed May 05, 2004 1:56 pm

We know about Rip-Off Report.

There are two Roadrunners. One is in Texas, and is legit, the other has taken over Smart Mover's client base and is already creating scam situations. Which one are you talking about, RobynCorgi?

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 05, 2004 3:17 pm

RobinCorgi wrote:Net Move in Norcross, GA is a relatively new company whose owner worked for one of the biggies for years. Check out their website to see the handwritten postings of people who have used them. Their trucks have their logos, movers are their own, not brokered out, and I wouldn't rule them out, just because they have advertised at a website that others have run scams through.

The moving professionals on this website will probably be able to comment on this further since Mr. Krysak apparently used to be a driver for United Van Lines.

coast2coast

Postby coast2coast » Wed May 05, 2004 4:05 pm

Thanks once again for your input.
I went through the yellow pages and found the following companies.
(1) Spaeth tranfer inc at Bremerton, WA (Allied)
(2) North coast tranportation and Storage Inc. Bellevue, WA (Allied)
(3) Star transportation and Storage Inc at Tacoma/Kirkland, WA (United)

I nailed down to these companies and inclining more towards number (1) because their minimum load is only 1000 pounds, while giving in-house quotes.
Also when I ask for DOT numbers, normally they give two numbers one for their company and the other for the master company they work for.
When I mention this to them, they say they need two DOT numbers. one for inter-state and other for intra-state (within the same state).
Is thi true and can any one find out if there are any alarming thing about any of the above listed companies.
BTW, I got an in-home estimate from the Rainier Moving Systems Inc. (MayFlower). Although their per-pound charge is about $1.25, their minimum load is 2100 pounds. We thought we will drop them from the list.
Again Thank you very much and I appreciate your help once again.
looking forward to get more information. Thanks again.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 05, 2004 4:15 pm

I don't see anything alarming on www.safersys.org about Spaeth (MC #139361). I do have a question in that their licensing authority dates from 2000 but on their website they claim to have been in business for decades. You might ask them about this. They aren't listed on vanlines.com or 123movers.com as far as I can see. I think this company might be a reasonable choice and certainly OK to get an estimate from.

coast2coast

Postby coast2coast » Wed May 05, 2004 4:17 pm

Thank you Diane. I appreciate your help and time.
This has helped me a lot.
Thanks again.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 05, 2004 4:33 pm

You're very welcome. Be sure to get names of people who have used them and contact those people for references. If you live close to them, go by their offices to buy boxes and see whether you feel comfortable with what you find there. Ask realtors what they've heard about the company.

Return to “Open Community”