Two Thumbs Up for Dahill Moving Company

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
bmw7a

Two Thumbs Up for Dahill Moving Company

Postby bmw7a » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:56 pm

Not sure if this is exactly the right place to post it, but figured I;d post a review after my move.

Recently relocated from NYC to Miami Florida. I ended up going with Dahill Moving Company, who are affiliated with Mayflower, and based in Brooklyn i believe.

They are a large company, and also ended up having the lowest estimate for my stuff by a significant margin - about $2600, when all others were at around 3500. The estimator was very thorough.

The movers were quick and efficient, and wrapped all furniture in furniture pads. I packed everything myself, including plasma tv, except for 2 glass tops from coffee tables. The loading of my 1 bdrm apt took only about 2 or 2.5 hours.

Since I had a small load, I was given a 10 day window for delivery in miami. Calling before i left, the manager estimated that it would be towards the very end of the window. bummer. you can track your shipment online, and the estimate online after pickup was for the last day in my window, but the stuff ended up getting there a day earlier. yay!

All my stuff arrived in the same condition it left in, with the exception of minor denting to a countertop wine cooler i have, but it still works. Also, one glass out of the many i packed myself shattered. acceptable losses to me. also, Dahill puts a numbered sticker on every item/box when they load your stuff up, then give you a checklist to mark off the items that get delivered, so you are sure nothing is missing.

finally, at the end, i guess my stuff was slightly underweight from the estimate, despite my adding a 4x6 rug and a 2nd coffee table to the load the day of the move, and I received a credit of about 190 bucks a few days after the delivery.

Sorry for the long post, but my move ended up very smooth, very easy, and with the lowest estimate i came across. I would definetly recommend Dahill if you are moving in NYC.

ben

ArchieWhite

Re: Two Thumbs Up for Dahill Moving Company

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:01 pm

Thats great, and you probably spent just a few dozen dollars more than the folks who line up their loaders, line up their container/PODS/ABF/BE/Relocubes, etc, then line up their unloaders, buying food and tips and dealing with all the logistics......instead of doing what you did, hiring some professionals, and getting all the work done for you, for just a few more dollars.

bmw7a

Postby bmw7a » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:04 pm

heh heh, maybe so.

also, as far as i understand, using those pods/self-loading things really isnt feasible in Manhattan.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:17 pm

Thanks so much for this good review - not surprising since they have many, but still nice to read. In my opinion, Dahill deserves a lot of credit for operating successfully in the challenging environment of New York City for 80 years.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:14 pm

Glad to see Dahill getting some positive reviews......

Hope you sent them a note so they could post ..
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”