Sterling Moving & Storage?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Shane

Sterling Moving & Storage?

Postby Shane » Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:08 pm

I'm desperately trying to find a reputable moving company before next week. I got good feedback on “The Moving Company” here so I thought I would post another one I’m looking at (I am allowing them to dispute the remarks). A-1 Freeman (agent for NAVL) moved me from TX to VA and I had a good experience. The agent here in VA using NORTH AMERICAN VAN LINES, INC is the following:

Sterling Moving & Storage
agent for northAmerican Van Lines
144 Lafayette Avenue
Laurel, MD 20707
DOT: MC107012
BBB: http://www.dc.bbb.org/report.html?compid=W17639&national=Y
Motor Carrier Details: http://fmcsa-li.volpe.dot.gov/LIVIEW/pkg_carrquery.prc_getdetail

Thanks in advance

Wayne

Re: Sterling Moving & Storage?

Postby Wayne » Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:46 am

So did you use Sterling? and if so what was your experience? I am thinking about using them for a move across country. Thanks

Josh

Postby Josh » Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:41 pm

Check this out: http://www.movingscam.com/forum/search.php

Type in Sterling and see what has already been said about them. Not sure if it is the same company, but I did not read through all of the posts again!

Let me know if you need any clarification.

Josh

Nancy/Guest

Postby Nancy/Guest » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:28 am

Sterling Moving & Storage that is a NAVL agent is totally different than the scam Sterling in Florida. Also, the Sterling in Bell, CA is yet a 3rd totally different company with a similar name.

Sterling in Maryland has a good reputation in the NAVL system, have locations in New England, and their owner is active in the agent association. I would say they are definitely not a fly by night, but do your homework, check out the estimate, and visit them. Be sure you are comfortable with them. I don't see any major red flags for the company as a whole, and would definitely compare all the estimates/companies you have to choose from.

kevinbobrow

WORST MOVING COMPANY EVER!!!

Postby kevinbobrow » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:45 pm

This e-mail could be 10 pages long, so I'll just give you the facts. It regards Sterling Moving and Storage of Jessup, Maryland (and several other locations in the northeast). Their website is www.navlagent.com/sterling. Please e-mail me if you have questions:
-I booked my move with Sterling Moving and Storage (of Jessup, Maryland) in mid-May for my mid-June move
-I never heard of any issues or problems with my move
-The day of my move, I waited, all packed, and received a call mid-morning telling me that they weren't going to be able to make it today. The soonest they could do was tomorrow. UNBELIEVEABLE OCCURRENCE # 1!
-I was very upset and tried to find someone else to move me that day, but it was impossible, so I told them I would have a family member cover for me and they better be there by 8am the next day. They agreed.
-The next day, while I was on the road heading to close on my new house, my mother waited. And waited. Until past 11am! Then they finally showed.
-The whole time they acted put out that they had to pack the stuff up.
-About half way through they told my mother they hadn't brought any tools!!! UNBELIEVEABLE OCCURRENCE # 2!
-She went out and bought them tools (they didn't offer).
-Later they needed other tools to take the bed apart (which they had said would be no problem), and told her she had to go get them the necessary tools or they couldn't take it! Wow.
-They finally got everything loaded in the evening
-The next day they called to tell me that they didn't have any driver to get my stuff down to my new home. I was flabbergasted. They didn't have any idea when a driver might be assigned--UNBELIEVEABLE OCCURRENCE # 3!
-After a week and a half (and 3 days past the promised LATEST DELIVERY DATE), I decided to bit the bullet and cancel the move
-Hired a new moving company (for $1200 more than the original price) to and pick up my stuff from Sterling.
-UNBELIEVEABLE OCCURRENCE # 4: After all this, Sterling would not release my stuff without a cash payment of $650 for the "services they had already done."
-So it was $1800 more than I originally was going to pay. The new company picked up and delivered the same day--I highly recommend them--Always Moving of Baltimore.
-NEVER, EVER USE STERLING MOVING AND STORAGE. I NEVER EVEN RECEIVED ONE WORD OF APOLOGY FOR THE INCREDIBLY CRAPPY WAY I WAS TREATED! THEY ARE THIEVES AND DESERVE TO BE OUT OF BUSINESS!

Kevin

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:37 pm

Alexander's Mobility Services is an Atlas agent with a location in Baltimore, and Hilldrup is a United agent with a location in DC. Both of these agents have very good reputations, and constantly win quality awards within their van lines.

JMillerFL

Postby JMillerFL » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:23 am

Please clarify as to how a break down in service qualifies a reputable agent as a thief. It sounds like the move was mishandled but this is one persons experience with a good size agent with multiple locations. Please research this company a bit more before you let one persons opinion sway you.

Just to clarify I have nothing to do with Sterling or with North American Van Lines. I am just tired of seeing quality agents get trashed by one upset customer.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:08 am

For those reading this later:- www.protectyourmove.gov shows Always Moving as having a Hostage Load complaint from 2005 and also a "conditional" safety rating, although I'm glad that it performed well for this customer.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:36 am

This move only had 4 unbelievable occurrances, I've seen worse.

TRaver

Re: WORST MOVING COMPANY EVER!!!

Postby TRaver » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:52 am

kevinbobrow wrote:This e-mail could be 10 pages long, so I'll just give you the facts. It regards Sterling Moving and Storage of Jessup, Maryland (and several other locations in the northeast). Their website is www.navlagent.com/sterling. Please e-mail me if you have questions:
...Kevin

I am the General Manager of this location of Sterling Moving & Storage, Inc. I just became aware of this posting and I feel it necessary to respond to the above complaint.

Sterling Moving & Storage (Sterling) is an agent for North American Van Lines (NAVL). This move was booked as a move through NAVL and all went according to plan until the scheduled date of the actual move. Upon arrival at work that morning, Sterling's dispatcher became aware that the NAVL driver assigned to the move had been re-assigned, with no new driver pending. Normally in a circumstance like this, Sterling would dispatch one of it's local trucks to make a local pickup of the shipment into our warehouse where the shipment would await a re-assignment. As this shipment was taking place in the second half of June, the moving industry's busiest time, and due to the late nature of Sterling becoming aware of the problem, there was no local capacity to perform a pick-up of that nature on that day. All of this was communicated to the shipper the morning of his scheduled move and at that time the understandably unhappy shipper requested that we perform the local pickup the following day as early as possible, which Sterling did.

Now, squarely in the end of June, NAVL failed to get the shipment re-assigned in a timely manner and it sat unassigned until the shipper cancelled his contract with NAVL and sent another mover in to complete the move.

During the initial service failure on load day, Sterling offered to buy the shipper dinner for his family on the day the load was missed as a courtesy. Upon finding out that our local pickup crew had reported to the house without handtools and upon being informed that the shipper's mother had gone to a local store to acquire the needed tools, I personally offered to reimburse the shipper for that purchase along with an additional $20 to cover the cost of gasoline used on the trip to the store.

As the shipment continued to sit in Sterling's warehouse, communications were maintained. It was pointed out to the shipper on more than one occasion that due to the lateness of his shipment he would be able to successfully file a claim with NAVL for his inconvenience and probably be able to recover his reasonable expenses associated with the delay.

At the point the shipper decided to cancell his contract with NAVL and hire another mover, Sterling did require that the shipper pay for the cost of services rendered to that point which included the pickup from residence and a small amount of packing. If the shipper had allowed NAVL to complete the delivery of the shipment, there would have been no charge for that local pickup.

In closing I must report that Sterling Moving & Storage, Inc. has been in business since 1952 and I have been the General Manager of this location since 1997. This is the first time in my 11 years as GM that I have had to respond to a posting on this forum, and I hope the last. Sterling is a proven high quality organization providing moving services to many large accounts and individual consumers.

smatwilly

Postby smatwilly » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:58 am

Sterling is an excellent agent for NAVL - I have used them as a da many times & as an o/a for packing services or local pick ups & they are very good--very reputable.

I think its a smart choice!

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:04 am

Thank you for your honest and informative post. We tell people that June is the busiest month of the year and that sometimes there are snafus - that's what this was. I believe Diane has stated this in the review post on the Superlist.

Return to “Open Community”