Nobel Van Lines, Miami, FL (DOT#1329594)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
smiami

Nobel Van Lines, Miami, FL (DOT#1329594)

Postby smiami » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:37 pm

Hi,

I am new to the site, but I have already signed a contract with Noble Van Lines (DOT #1329594) to do a local move for me next week. The move is a local move within the state of Florida (~300 miles) that they are supposed to complete the same day (pickup in AM, drive during day, and unload that evening). They gave me a 'Not To Exceed' written estimate after visiting my apartment (with a list of items, totalled in cubic feet). Am I making a mistake in going with this company? I can still cancel the move in the next couple of days and go with someone else, but I would rather not deal with those hassles unless I know I am making a mistake.
So far I have read a couple of negative reviews and one positive review on the company on this website. However, a lot of the negative opinions seem like they were posted in 2004 or 2006, and I am assuming that since there have not been more recent negative posts, that is a good sign. Please advise. Thanks so much for your help.

-Sam

Diane

Re: Noble Van Lines, Miami, FL (DOT#1329594)

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:49 pm

I feel that Nobel is iffy although I wouldn't go so far as to call it a scam mover. There's a company that I like that you might consider using instead. From the Superlist:
--Crystal Coast Moving & Storage (independent) in Riviera Beach.
The phone number for this company is 561-863-8343 and the owner is Dan Harvey. When I spoke with him in 12/07 he told me that 85% of his work is moving furniture for interior designers. Crystal Coast is a small, family-run company that has been in business for 25 years. As of 12/07 it had an “A” rating at the BBB with no complaints in the past 36 months.
We have a good report:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6481 (several within-state moves)
"friedman29" posted an excellent review of a local move with Crystal Coast in 8/06, saying that the price was reasonable and the service was professional and friendly:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9908 (local)
"Arthur" was unhappy with Crystal Coast for a local move in 12/07, saying that a worker accidentally broke a glass lampshade. However, the owner compensated him with $30, much more than his legal liability since the customer had not paid for extra coverage beyond 60 cents/pound. People also pointed out that the owner held to a fixed price of $600 and didn't charge for packing materials although the move went hours beyond the estimate:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15252 (local)

As the entry says, I've talked with the owner and was very favorably impressed. I don't know whether its quote would be comparable or too expensive for you, but I think it would be worth giving them a call to see.

Whatever mover you use, you are better protected for intra-state moves within FL than for interstate moves.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MusicMom

Re: Nobel Van Lines, Miami, FL (DOT#1329594)

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:34 pm

I think you'll be OK for a local move with this company. Some things you list may be an issue on interstate moves, but within FL (even a long-distance move like this), you're protected more.

Check the inventory list to make sure the rep got everything when he looked at all your stuff.

smiami

Postby smiami » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:51 am

Thanks so much for all the help. I am going to try to contact them today and see how they respond to some of my concerns. Fortunately, I think a lot of the problems others have had may be avoided by me since it is a local move for me that they are going to complete it the same day. I am going to stay with them the entire time - I am planning on driving behind the truck in my car.

I researched the company on various websites yesterday, and the one red flag that came up was that it appears they have a 35% driver inspection out of service rate (compared to a 6.8% national average). The other question in my mind is: Do you think I need to get them to change my estimate to a weight based estimate instead of one based on cubic feet (based on what I've been reading on thsi website) - though I don't know if this is important in my case since my move is a local one, and I have a 'not to exceed' quote from them.
Thanks again for all your help.

--Sam

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:44 pm

Regarding changing the estimates, you have a Binding Not To Exceed based on Cubic Feet? Usually the Not To Exceed is used because it leaves a provision for the price to go down if the shipment is smaller than estimated. I'm not sure how they're going to measure the Cubic Feet to see if you used less. Maybe you should ask them to make it weight-based.

But i'd like to hear a pro's take on this.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:49 pm

A GTNE based on cubic feet? It'll never happen. The loaders will load the truck to the exact same cubic feet as estimated, if not MORE. A GTNE is great for a "weight based" move. 8)

jjmonterosso

Postby jjmonterosso » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:49 pm

AVOID NOBEL VAN LINES!

A FEW FACTS ABOUT NOBEL VAN LINES:

- NOBEL WILL NOT TELL YOU THAT THEIR MOVERS ARE SUB CONTRACTORS.

-THE MOVING CREWS ARE NOT PROPERLY TRAINED AND HAVE POORLY MAINTAINED, INADEQUATE EQUIPMENT.

-NOBEL WILL NOT BRING THE PROMISED FLOOR AND STAIR/WALL/CORNER PROTECTORS, NOBEL WILL DAMAGE YOUR WALLS, STAIRS, FLOORS AND CARPETS. WARNING!!! IF YOU ARE IN FLORIDA AND HAVE MARBLE FLOORS DO NOT HIRE NOBEL!!!!!

-NOBEL WILL RING IN A SUB CONTRACTED TRUCK AT THE LAST MINUTE.

-NOBEL WILL NOT NOTIFY YOU IF THE TRUCK BREAKS DOWN AND/OR IS DELAYED. WE STAYED IN CONTACT WITH THE TRUCKER VIA CELL PHONE TO TRACK THE TRUCK. NOBEL DID NOTHING TO ASSIST US.

-NOBEL WILL NOT RESPOND TO PROBLEMS DURING THE MOVE OR CLAIMS FOR DAMAGE IN A TIMELY MANNER. ONCE NOBEL HAS YOUR MONEY, EVERYONE IS ON VACATION.

-PEOPLE WHO COME TO YOUR HOUSE REPRESENTING NOBEL WILL GIVE YOU PHONY NAMES.

- NOBEL WILL RECORD YOUR TELEPHONE CONVERSATIONS WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE OR PERMISSION.

REPUTABLE BUSINESSES/MOVERS DO NOT DO ANY OF THE ABOVE.

SAVE YOURSELF A GREAT DEAL OF STRESS AND MONEY. DO NOT HIRE NOBEL.

I am happy to provide pictures of a glass desk/side-table loaded in the truck under heavy boxes and smashed. This is AFTER I repeatedly explained to the loaders how other movers loaded the table without any problem, including an international move. DO NOT HIRE NOBEL.

smatwilly

Postby smatwilly » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:38 am

Did they say a one day move going 300 miles? What?! Between loading, driving & unloading thats one hell of a long day---300 miles--thats like driving for about 10 hrs - more if it isnt highway or easy driving- I suppose if they only load for 2 hrs & unld for 1 hr its doable but still.....hope they are getting some overtime. Curious to know what the cost is going to be & if there is a fuel surcharge?

r.tennison

Postby r.tennison » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:45 am

Good point, even if it is only 300 miles, add in Miami, which i gather from the screen name, and you easily have a twenty hour day on your hands. :shock:

ana777

Postby ana777 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:42 am

Who is this jjmonteroso? he looks like a newbie on search engine talking about thinks he doesn't know, I moved with Nobel Van Lines an everybody was very polite, my furniture and HHG where completely safe, nothing got broke. Give me a really good rate and if you really want to know the record of a company you should check first on the Better Business Bureau (http://www.bbbsoutheastflorida.org/) to make sure that everything you say is correct.

[signature containing advertising removed]

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:25 am

Ana, considering you're advertising yourself as a Moving Consultant, your half-assed review is not believable.

And now you're claiming Authorized Movers scammed you (that one got removed, too). Nice.

smatwilly

Postby smatwilly » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:30 am

Nor readable (is that a word?!) for that matter--does it sound better if I say ledgible? :roll:

Can you tell Im not very busy---no estimates today---blah!! :cry:

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:33 pm

Why were ana777's other posts removed before I could see them? That's so not fair. I needed a good laugh today and you ruined it.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:40 pm

Well, there's this one, plus she said that Authorized Movers stole all her stuff, then she offered professional moving advice.

I'm sure she would have worked through the list of competitors if we gave her enough rope.

However, the moving-lead website she was advertising is run from Panama, so I wasn't interested in seeing what else she could come up with.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:57 pm

Oh, heck, I can't resist the opportunity to bring this up.

Ana777 was advertising her website, which apparently is a new version of Nobel Van Lines.

Note the two sites:
http://www.amoving.org/testimonials.php
http://www.nobelvanlines.com/testimonials.php

If you scroll around enough on the first site, you see that when they automatically changed all the names of the mover, you see they misspelled their own name. Repeatedly. In fact, every single instance.

(in an apparently unrelated coincidence, the "dot com" version of Ana's website is registered by Alfred Moya. Remember him?)

Return to “Open Community”