Is peak season over????

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
az ops man

Is peak season over????

Postby az ops man » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:53 am

Is peak season over??? May and June were good, but July only lasted 3 1/2 weeks and it seems to be over with here in AZ. Granted Unigroup put HUGE booking restrictions on us but local and intra is WAY off also. What are you guys seeing in your neck of the wopds????
Sean Soule
---------------------
The difficult we do immediately,
the impossible takes a little longer.

ArchieWhite

Re: Is peak season over????

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:57 am

We're ok ( Atlanta) for a couple more weeks, then thats it here....back to the slow season. Pretty tough to make it when what used to be a 4 month season is now 8-10 weeks.

az ops man

Postby az ops man » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:00 am

Thats for sure. Then they cut you off for CODs on the 16th of July for anything loading through Aug 3rd--that was a killer!!!
Sean Soule
---------------------

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:06 am

I think Van Line mentality is to protect their national accounts, with their free valuation, frozen rates, adjusted fuel surcharges and hi hi hi discounts, and leave the COD out in the cold, despite the fact that you can actually charge a COD customer a little more in peak times. Not a heck of a lot, but if somebody wants to move June 30, you can usually get a little more money from them, whereas you cannot a contract.

smatwilly

Postby smatwilly » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:16 am

azopsman--I used to be SO pi$$ed when NAVL would put booking restrictions on us---I just had my first ones & only a few days--we are trying to self haul alot so it really doesnt affect us----talk about frustrating though!! This is the fist year we have had no apu's! I am shocked----no service failers at all--being in Maine thats quite a feat!!!

We had a killer June but May was lacking--more moves than last year but down in the $ - August looks okay so far----it is slowing down though---We had an awesome November last year!! We booked more moves in November than any other month--strange huh?!

Im trying to make up with local moves but the other companies here are too stupid (sorry) to know enough not to leave everything on the plate!!!! :evil:

az ops man

Postby az ops man » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:32 am

Archie---you are spot on about the extra $$$$ on a COD order---in order to book anything before the 4th of Aug our salespeople are adding Day Certain charges to EVERY order, that way if a driver doesnt show up to load direct there is enough revenue to cover the added cost of picking it up and holding it in the whse for a driver. Unfortunately when the other van lines have no restrictions for some of those days the added cost of the day certain pick up is the difference for the customer and they go with the lower bottomline on their estimates and you lose that order. I would love to see someone try to sign up an account with a Day Certain charge in the contract, it would NEVER happen!!!
Sean Soule
---------------------

smatwilly

Postby smatwilly » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:40 am

azops--why not put in the day certain load & up the discount as high as you are allowed----As much as I hate to hit 69% I would hate more to book it, Rule 19 it & lose money---Id rather have the van lines get less than us---of course if the customer is in a huge hurry to get it you may have a po'd shipper.

bosoxfan

Postby bosoxfan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:57 am

I am a bit naive about certain aspects about your industry, I know that the summer months would be considerably busier since families do not want to move with kids and school and the disruption that it may cause in their lives. What do HHG do to make up the loss. I know that STI is owned by 40+ NAVL agencies and cover tradeshows and special customer accounts, but what happens to the HHG drivers - do you lay them off? How do you convince them to stay through the lean periods.

The summer months are busy for us in the Mutual Fund / banking industry, because we hire majority of our quality accountants in May and June (college graduates). I have been training for 25 straight days and the next break in training will occur after Labor day. November and December are dead for us - due to vacations and yearend statements that need to be generated for the Board of Directors - groups normally do not request training classes and this gives us time to create new classes or update existing ones.

smatwilly

Postby smatwilly » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:55 pm

Summer is the busiest time of the year - most moving companies need to make up in the summer what they didnt make in the winter---I think more so in the states where they have harsh winters--snow, sleet, freezing rain etc... Where we live (Maine) I know we are the only moving company that employ our crews full time all year round. In the 20 plus years Ive been here my father has never laid any mover off---he feels its his job to keep them working at least 40 hrs a week all year round. Its tough but we do it--we have a freight company with over 100 drivers & we also have a commercial warehouse - which is tough now too because all of the mills that we used to work with are closing down--we stored pulp & paper & other product that the mills produced--not to mention hauling their goods---now that is pretty well wiped out. We also own a furniture store that sells new furniture as well as does consignment & a records storage & destruction company that pulls in a lot of moves when picking up files & record boxes & putting together racking--we are now in the process of looking into silos for pellets to distribute --luckily we have a little more diversity than being just a moving company. Its tough to make up in 5 months what you lose or dont make in 7 months----we have a good nich in the market though--we handle all the inhouse moves for the hospital here as well as the colleges & a lot of other major accounts--still, moving can be a darn tough business with not a whole lot of reward.

Sherry

smatwilly

Postby smatwilly » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:06 pm

Archie--couldnt agree with you more about the Nat'l Accts---58 percent discount -- AWESOME! Oh, thats frozen back in 1999!! Yeah right!! Talk about a joke! NAVL used to have the account with General Electric & it was such a joke! Wasnt even worth doing--we pretty much lost money on it---now Clark & Reid has it & since they dont have representation in my area they pay me to do the surveys--I make more money doing estimates for them than we did with the actual account!! My husband works for GE & you want to talk about a company that makes money--certainly isnt like they cant afford to have current rates with current fuel----blah!

promover2

Postby promover2 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:28 pm

We are trailing off as far as work as well. Early August is still somewhat busy, but looking at mid-August, it's pretty slow especially for military. Looks like another early fall....hopefully late September is busier.

Here's how to beat the system when it comes to the van lines restricting registrations. At the beginning of the season, register a few loads for May, June, July and early August under a "will advise" as far as pick up dates. As the summer progresses, you can use these "ghost loads" for last minute bookings. Just change the names, addresses, dates, weight and origin/destination. No one will notice, and you can service a few more loads at the last minute and be that much more profitable.

az ops man

Postby az ops man » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:33 pm

Thats an interesting tactic, in fact I think that I will put it to test this week!
Sean Soule
---------------------

bosoxfan

Postby bosoxfan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:34 pm

Is this why agents jump from one brand to another, thinking that the new company will provide more business in the lean months? Seems like Unigroup and Atlas must have a successful formula with so many joining them of late. Also when agencies change affiliations, are they charged a fee like when you break a contract with your cell phone provider (termination fee $175.00 before 2 years)?

r.tennison

Postby r.tennison » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:37 pm

Most agencies wait for their contract with the van line to end so they may start a new one with a new company. Allied lost some agents, but I am amazed at the profound loss that some people in Allieds system has over this. I for one see a need for a van line wide celebration at this loss. The companies may have put a lot of work on the plate for us, but when we got the work the hauler and origin agents got the shaft. So the loss we have is no loss to me, I promise.

As to bookings, we are humming right along out here in Nevada and California, other names can be used in Californias place. Our military is slightly off, but we have some activations going on as well.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:39 pm

I bet some hauling agents can understand this plight.

The agent book a shipment with a request to haul or self haul. The Van Line refuses the request, and then alliances the order. And then to add insult to injury, they issue a G-11 notice.

So the agent who COULD haul it is denied. It is given to someone else who can't load it direct, so it goes from residence to whse to van then delivery. It got so crazy in June and July at any given time we probably had shipments on five or six trucks and trailers. And the drivers would show up less than a week before the delivery spread, and say they just got assigned. Then a few days later you get calls from irate shippers filing delay claims. All because someone thought it best to pull from a hauler who could, and give it to a hauler who will be late.

One way we got around the booking restrictions is to book everything with a spread, and self haul it.

As for the military, I hear the latest target date for Families First is September 10. I have the we'll see when we see attitude.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”