Need help Moving from Long Island,NY to South Dakota

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
cbest23

Need help Moving from Long Island,NY to South Dakota

Postby cbest23 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:45 am

Hi, my wife and I are moving to South Dakota ( Sioux Falls ) from Suffolk County in Long Island. In the past we've gone the u-haul route, but that for the most part has always been local moves. Now, we're looking at hiring a moving company because of the distance and we're concerned about finding a good, reputable company to help with the move. I've read positive responses about Meridian as well as Avatar. Does anyone have any suggestions on good honest companies in the area. Had a bad experience this past year when helping my mom move when she lived in Jersey City, N.J. By the way, we're moving in mid October. Thanks for any help.

bigmove

Re: Need help Moving from Long Island,NY to South Dakota

Postby bigmove » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:04 am

Avatar is a good agent, and Atlas has two agents in Sioux Falls. Mayflower's closest agent is in Watertown.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:41 am

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:21 am

South Dakota is a big state, and Sioux Falls is at the southeastern corner, almost touching Iowa and Minnisota. I'm sure Stevens is a fine company, but I'd go with a really big van line like Atlas or Mayflower on this one. Stevens only has one agent within 200 miles, and it is not on a military base.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:11 am

cbest23 wrote: Had a bad experience this past year when helping my mom move when she lived in Jersey City, N.J.

Hi - I agree with the advice that has been given above. Could you elaborate on what happened with the NJ move? (Jersey City has been a bit of a hotbed of dubious movers.)
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

cbest23

Postby cbest23 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:03 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. To answer your question Diane, My mother's home ( Jersey City ) was having work done by the State ( N.J. ) We were pressed for time and had to have my mom's furniture, etc. moved to the garage of the home and also have alot of old furniture and other things already in the basement tossed to a dumpster. After calling around, we found All Inclusive Moving and Storage located also in J.C. After contacting them, we were asked how many rooms did we need to move. I told them the number of rooms and asked when someone was coming to look at the rooms in order to get an estimate. I was told that the price would be $1200 for the number of rooms that I had indicated, which raised a red flag. After I protested and repeatedly asked for someone to come by and look at what had to be moved, I was told that they would send someone to look at the items and to give me an estimate. What ended up happening was they cancelled the appointment a couple of times right around the time of the move. They then told me that they would send someone the day before the work had to begin on the house. ( At this time I couldn't get another company at such short notice ). Needless to say, the inspector didn't show up and when the workers showed up at the house, the manager of the company called and informed me that the price would be doubled because the rooms were larger then they thought???? Also, they only could send three workers as opposed to the five - six we were told and they would have to work harder to get the work done. They told us that if we didn't pay, they would leave everything outside and not move anything, and that we would still owe them the $1200 that we had originally agreed to ( which was in writing ). They claimed that the $1200 was just an estimate because the inspector hadn't ever looked to see what was being moved. The problem was that the work being done at the home was for lead abatement and the work had to begin the following day, which the movers were aware of. We ended up having to pay the money just to get the move done on time. After the workers finished, we realized that items including a couple of lamps, tables, and other small items were missing. When I complained, the manager as well as the owner claimed that we must have lost them somehow. There's more to the story than what I've written, but after talking to other friends that had used them, I was basically told by a couple of people " Oh, I wish you had asked me about them, those guys are crooks!! " . Needless to say they got double what I was quoted, and also they stole items from the home. I couldn't make a police report because I was told that it would be hard to prove and I didn't have photos of the merchandise or insurance on them. Give me a break!! Anyone in J.C don't use All Inclusive, they're horrible..

cbest23

Postby cbest23 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:18 am

Sorry about the previous long post, just was a long story. I actually left things out. Anyway, still checking for companies for the move. Thanks again everyone for the help.

Return to “Open Community”