City Transfer and Storage Winston Salem

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
ugarxdawg

City Transfer and Storage Winston Salem

Postby ugarxdawg » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:23 pm

Beware of City Transfer and Storage in Winston Salem, NC. I was given a binding estimate for $4845 and then had to pay $6587 to have the stuff unloaded. It was your standard moving scam rip-off.

ArchieWhite

Re: Beware: City Transfer and Storage Winston Salem

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:09 pm

I've known the Lassiters for about 35 years, they've been in biz for 100 years, same family, 4th generation......Maybe there is more to the story than you are telling?

I don't mean to doubt you, but there are always 2 sides to every story, let us hear more of yours.....you didn't supply enough info to agree/disagree with you, yet.

Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:30 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

smatwilly

Postby smatwilly » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:34 am

There are SO many reasons why a binding estimate can actually end up costing more in the end--- the customer didnt pack what they said they would & the company had to pack---of course that involves material & labor so we have to charge for it---the customer added more items than they had shown the estimator. There was a shuttle at the other end---

I had a PL - which is basically a not to exceed price---luckilly I spoke with the husband the day before loading--I had only dealt with his wife---he said he just finished bringing all his office equipment to his garage--I said what office equipment? Turns out he had a laboratory at the University that he unloaded into his garage--I told him I needed to fax a new contract to him & upped the weight another 2000 lbs - of course I did not give him a PL - told him whatever it weighed or we did he would pay for----

I would like to hear the otherside too---

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:36 am

Notice that this customer has not come back to continue his case.......perhaps it is not as strong as he/she claims?

smatwilly

Postby smatwilly » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:40 am

Archie--dont hold your breath--- :shock: (your face will turn blue!)

ugarxdawg

Re: City Transfer and Storage Winston Salem

Postby ugarxdawg » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:21 pm

I am just reporting what happened to me. I was surprised that it did happen since I researched them on here prior to hiring them.
The guy came out to our house to look at it. He saw what we had to move and what remained to be packed. He proceeded to give me an estimate. The crew came, packed the remainder, and away we went. Twenty minutes before the crew arrives to deliver my stuff, I get the call to pay for the move. I was informed that the cost would be over $1700 more than the binding estimate because of "substantial packing." I'm not sure I would consider it substantial since it totalled less than 20% of my home's contents and the guy that came to my home SAW what remained to be packed. I was either scammed or lied to......either way, the public should know that their Binding Estimate means nothing.
Last edited by ugarxdawg on Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:30 pm

Call Bart Lassiter, tell him Archie White told you to call him, tell him you think you were scammed, and ask him to look into it. Just saying you were scammed is not enough, there has to be more info that needs to be known.

Bormove

Re: **City Transfer and Storage Winston Salem

Postby Bormove » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:14 pm

Hello Archie and Mr. Parker if you are reading this.

I handled this move. It was surveyed by a person in our Fayetteville Office. The surveyor stated on the survey that Mr. Parker told the surveyor that they would do all the packing. I clarified this fact with the shipper when I provided him with the estimate. I also told him that the estimate was only good for the services on the estimate.

The only packing on the estimate was to pack the mattress's. I spoke with Mr. Parker over the weekend and I responded to an e mail he sent me over the weekend prior to the move. When I spoke with him I asked him if he would have everything packed. He said he would. When I emailed him I also told him if he did not he was to let me know so we could be prepared I also told him if we had to pack it would cost him more. I never heard back from him.

When he got my original estimate he responded that the estimate "looked good". When the crew got there he did not have everything packed. We ended up doing $1,200.00. of packing. It looks like he had us pack the breakables as there were 12 dishpacks and 17 mirrors and assorted other sizes of cartons. In our Binding Estimate it clearly states

"This estimate is binding on Atlas and you, except that if it appears that you have tendered additonal household goods or require additional services not identified in this estimate, Atlas is not required to honor this estimate. The charges show are the charges being assessed for only those services specified in this estimate"

We have the signed Packing Service Report and Verified Scale Tickets. We never threatened him for payment and he payed without protest the day I notified him of the actual charges. His quality control report gave us all 4's (out of 4) except for the surveyor and on time delivery they got 2's.

I gave him serveral chances to rebind. I had to rebind once prior to the move because he added a mini storage delivery so he should have been aware of the process.

He will be recieveing all of this information from our response to the BBB in the next couple of days. He is always welcome to contact Scott Lassiter in our Winston Salem Office.

Borden Austin
City Transfer and Storage.

Rick

Re: **City Transfer and Storage Winston Salem

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:00 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ugarxdawg

Postby ugarxdawg » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:44 am

On the survey, I gave mostly "4" because the questions pertained to the crew, not to you or your company. I have no problems with the people that moved the items.
I expressed my concern to you over the $1750 before I paid you, but there wasn't a lot I could do considering the fact that you had $100,000 of my possessions on your truck and you could just turn around and not deliver anything.
I specifically told the surveyor that there would need to be some packing done, and I specifically requested to have several wardrobe boxes sent with the crew.
If this wasn't a scam, it was certainly a poor way to conduct business. I have a busy life and have better things to do that spend my time on this website, but I am only doing so to try to help others in NC that may want to move with City Transfer. They need to know what their "binding estimate" means.....nothing.
And for the editors at movingscam.com, backing up movers in cases like this is what gives the whole industry a bad name. Shame on you for saying my claim is unjustified and allowing this to continue.

ugarxdawg

Postby ugarxdawg » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:55 am

And if I knew you were going to screw me like this, I would not have bought lunch for entire crew, I would not have helped move boxes and items from the house to the truck, and I damn sure would have made a claim for the 2 holes busted in the wall by your crew.

Bormove

Postby Bormove » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:42 am

I am sorry you feel this way. A binding estimate is binding for just the services listed. I told you this when I redid the estimate to include the extra stop for the mini storage. If you had taken the time to read the estimate and if you had listened when I told you it did not include packing then you could have told me when I spoke with you and when I emailed you over the weekend that you wanted us to do some packing. I would have changed the estimate to reflect this fact. You still would have paid more for additional services. We cannot pack all your breakables and your clothing for free. I never threatened to keep your stuff, we only charged you for what we did. Our people did a good job. You got your money's worth. You should have read the estimate throughly. I gave you every chance to change it.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:46 am

We run into this situation fairly often, we provide a bound quote, based on customer doing packing, and when we arrive, they have not done what they agreed to do. We struggle with a good solution, we have 3 options.....1. walk away, as usually the rest of the entire move is tainted and difficult....2. do the packing for free.....3. negotiate a new price, which leads to what appears to be what happened in this situation above.
In 2 out of the 3 scenarios above, we end up being the bad guy.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:39 am

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Open Community”