Packing/Unpacking Services? (State College, PA to Atlanta (Decatur), GA)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
nougat girl

Packing/Unpacking Services? (State College, PA to Atlanta (Decatur), GA)

Postby nougat girl » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:41 pm

Thanks to the advice and recommendations of the members of this board, I've decided to rent a Penske truck and drive myself from State College, PA to Atlanta, GA for my upcoming move. (OK, and to be honest,as a grad student I just can't afford a full service move with current gas prices. My estimates were all in the $3500-4000 range.) The only thing left is packing and unpacking the truck.

I'd like to enlist some help for packing (loading) because I have a few pieces of antique furniture and I want to try to ensure they don't get damaged in transit. I'm basically loading all my belongings (1 BR apt. plus office) straight from a 10x10 storage unit into the truck. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding "packers" in Central PA? I've called a few services, but the best quote I've gotten is $250, which seems a bit steep for the job. (No stairs, all the boxes are packed, etc.)

On the Atlanta/Decatur end, I have a flight of stairs to deal with, and I'd like to hire "unpackers" (unloaders?) to help me get my furniture and boxes up the stairs. Does anyone have any Atlanta-based movers they'd be willing to recommend?

I've looked at craigslist and asked around at my storage unit, but I feel like I have too few options in State College, and way too many in Atlanta. A personal recommendation would be an enormous help! Thanks in advance.

Jim

Re: Packing/Unpacking Services? (State College, PA to Atlanta (Decatur), GA

Postby Jim » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:16 pm

nougat girl, if you have antique furniture you don't want to see damaged, I would utilize the help of a professional mover to do the load. I don't think $250 (for 2 hours?) seems all that out of line. Moving isn't exactly an inexpensive venture and for what you have, it isn't wise to go cheap if you like that antique furniture.

On the destination side, I would PM Archie White who is in the Atlanta area and can give you some suggestions. Destination should cost you about the same as origin, I would think.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

r.tennison

Postby r.tennison » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:21 pm

In the State College area, Parks is there. They are a United Van Lines agency and they have decent labor there. I choose them over Allied every time I am out in that area. Good Luck with your move.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:33 am

r.tennison,

Can you use labor from a United agent even though, as a driver, you work for another van line? I didn't know that . . .

To the original poster,

In State College, also look on www.eMove.com for a high-rated company in that area.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:18 am

Diane: Yes a driver can use another van lines labor. It all depends if the agents want to work together. Every summer I receive a bulletin from AVL that I am not to furnish labor to any other van line. Let's see: if my men aren't working for me on my clock, what's wrong with me letting them work for another van line driver for cash? Other than the possibility of getting hurt, I see no wrong in doing it. Part of my responsibility to my employees is to give them work & I send out business cards with the labor & usually get a move out of it anyway. 8)

nougat girl

Postby nougat girl » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:06 am

Thanks for all the suggestions, especially the recommendation for emove.com. It looks like labor is just more expensive in PA, but one of the companies I spoke with (Esteps) is highly recommended on emove, so I feel good going with them.

bosoxfan

Postby bosoxfan » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:14 am

Diane,

Last Memorial Day, I bumped into a NAVL driver for an agent in TX, that was delivering in DE and used labor from Bayshore Allied. When he needs help, he prefers to use Bayshore or an United agent (Holman) in the DE area rather than driving the extra miles (30 to 40 miles) to pickup help from the nearest NAVL agent (Wayne - West Chester, PA).

I figure the smaller tier van lines do this on a regular basis if they do not have representation in the destination location.

Return to “Open Community”