Rockville, Maryland local move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
MusicMom

Re: Rockville, Maryland local move

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:49 pm

I don't doubt they do good moves, otherwise they'd probably be more discussed here. But I still don't feel good about it. People don't have to listen to me, but I've never let that stop me from voicing my opinion.

peppy

Re: DC local move

Postby peppy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:05 pm

After many quotes for a small local move from one apt. to another, we did go with... Mighty Men Movers. They were great! On time, efficient, nice guys. Emmanuel returned messages promptly. Had 2 guys come and they handled and wrapped everything carefully. No hidden fees or charges. Very reasonable rates. Thank you for your website. It is a great resource!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:06 pm

Thank you so much for getting back to us with that. How much did the move end up costing you?

peppy

Postby peppy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:37 pm

It ended up being $573 for about 4 hours moving plus 1 hour travel time.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:22 pm

Thanks - I'll add that to the review of Mighty Men on the Superlist.

NewMoover

Postby NewMoover » Tue May 20, 2008 6:53 pm

Thanks everyone for this great site-especially Diane and MusicMom. I found out about this site just in time for my move while researching various moving companies on the web and getting confused with the bogus and not so bogus reviews.
Mine is a interstate but a local move being less than 100 miles.
I have been quoted prices ranging from $1500 to $2500 for a two bedroom apartment. The worst was JK Moving estimator who is refusing to give a binding estimate and even threatened not to come for an already scheduled free, no obligation in-house estimate unless I commit to move with JK Moving (with a $2600 non-binding estimate) and pay a deposit.
I will keep you posted about my experience with the others.

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue May 20, 2008 8:11 pm

Then don't use JK...or anyone else who won't consider your request for a specific estimate type or pricing maximum. However, if you're planning on hiring a reputable company to perform an 100 mile, interstate relocation for a 2 BR home within the next 30-45 days, you may be surprised at the number of local movers that don't jump at your terms.

If you're moving outside the commercial zone of Washington, your choices will limited to those carriers that have an interstate tariff on file. Since your charges are only based on a one-way move, the expense of the return trip is put on the carrier's back. For them, it's more profitable to do a local move at an hourly rate so that they're paid for their manpower and equipment operating expenses.

Even though you already scheduled a "free, no obligation in-house estimate", most movers around the Beltway do better during the height of the peak summer moving season by sorting out the less profitable business with their pricing. Don't worry, though. There'll be plenty of less reputable companies of dubious distinction to choose from.

NewMoover

Postby NewMoover » Tue May 20, 2008 8:52 pm

AFAIK most moves are one way Rick.
I think it is a shady business tactic to weed out so called "less profitable business" and I would categorize JK Moving into your definition of " less reputable, dubious movers as they resorted to these tactics of asking for a deposit and a commitment to hire JK moving as the mover when it was supposed to be a no-obligation, FREE in-house estimate. I don't know what else should anyone call this but dubious and shady business practices.

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue May 20, 2008 9:42 pm

AFAIK, 57% of the 41 million American’s (9.8M families) who moved last year moved locally. This means that the charges were probably calculated on an hourly rate that included travel time between the company location and customer’s residences. These additional charges cover the company's operating costs and supplement their profits.

Only 19% (7.6M individual; 3.2M families) moved interstate. These consumers had their charges based on tariffs filed with the FMCSA that calculate transportation costs (including the ever escalating fuel surcharge) on a one way, point-to-point relocation.

A 100 mile, uncompensated trip back to the mover’s barn on an interstate move would cost a carrier $95.00 in diesel fuel, $75.00 in equipment operating expense, and $250 in unpaid wages to cover the windshield time for the crew. In essence, then, the company gets to shell out $420 of their own money and sacrifice any profit potential for sheer pleasure of moving someone.

Sorting out less profitable opportunities is a normal market practice based on the supply and demand business model. Restaurants, airlines, auto manufacturers, and oil companies use it everyday to manage their capacity and ensure their profitability. In a highly competitive market like DC, price will function to equalize the quantity demanded by consumers and the quantity supplied by producers, resulting in equilibrium of price and quantity. You might not like it but it’s fundamental in any highly competitive industry.

Despite what you think you know, JK is a well run, reputable company. – Old Mover

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed May 21, 2008 8:09 am

JK is actually an excellent company with a great reputation.

Not all movers will give a binding price. Many will, but some don't. I think it's been said before that JK is one of the latter. It's not a terrible thing. I do understand if you don't choose them based on that fact, but don't call the disreputable just because of it.

Also, some movers in major metropolitan areas do charge small deposits because city dwellers will sometimes hire multiple movers, only to use the first one to show up on moving day. It loses business for the other movers, who have committed a truck, a crew, and a day to that person. it's been said for DC area, and in NYC. The deposits asked for are small in comparison.

Unfortunately, you stumbled across the two exceptions to the "no deposits" and the "binding estimate only" rules.

But I don't know why he would refuse to come to your house unless you committed. Perhaps your load is relatively small. Sometimes small loads aren't viewed until pick-up day, because even if you added 10% of stuff to your move, it's not a huge change in the volume used in the truck. It's not shady, it's common. Rick knows what he's talking about.

So who else have you talked to? Who's giving the lower estimates?

If you haven't called them yet, try Beltway Movers.

NewMoover

Postby NewMoover » Wed May 21, 2008 8:28 am

I was just stating my experience with JK Moving. Despite their good reputation they did something I call unethical i.e. AFTER scheduling a FREE no-obligation in-house estimate they asked for a deposit and a commitment to hire them for the move. I don't think anyone in their right mind will call this a sign of reputable mover. I am aware that some people might have a personal interest in propping up some mover's reputation but I believe this site is about posting your personal experiences. I am in the habit of calling a spade a spade. I just posted what my experience with JK Moving have been so far and will post my experience with the other movers as well in near future so that other people are well aware of what they are dealing with!
I will keep you posted.
Yes, I have also scheduled an in-house estimate with Beltway Movers. Mine is two bedroom apartment and have received quotes ranging from $1500 to $2500 over the phone. Will update you once I get some in-house estimates.
Thanks for your input everyone.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed May 21, 2008 8:57 am

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Please do let us know what your other estiamtes are like.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu May 29, 2008 11:51 am

I think JK is a good company and it knows it's in demand and it acts accordingly, which could strike some people as acting a bit high and mighty. If you read its Superlist entry carefully, there have been some incidents in the past that support this interpretation. However, it's important to understand that Rick and MusicMom have no connection with JK Moving and therefore no vested interest in "propping it up."
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu May 29, 2008 12:52 pm

Yep. I would have used them 2 years ago, but I couldn't afford it. :wink:

NewMoover

Postby NewMoover » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:38 am

Just wanted to update regarding our move.
We finally decided to go with Town & Country Movers for our 100-mile interstate move as their estimate was the best among all the in-house quotes we received. Based on my experience words are not enough to describe our wonderful experience with T&C Movers. After this I will not even consider anyone but T&C Movers. Everyone was very very helpful and professional too. It was really a "moving" experience!

The other movers we got quotes from were --

Beltway Movers, they actually "referred" our moving estimator to "Atlas Van Lines" . Atlas Van lines gave us a very competitive binding estimate and we would have gone with them if T&C did not give us a better binding estimate.

JK Moving estimator finally turned up to give us a binding quote about 1500 higher than the T&C Movers but his weight estimate was high than the actual weight of our move.

Thank you everyone & this wonderful website without which we would have certainly fallen prey to some scam movers. Please keep up the good work!
Thank You.

Return to “Open Community”