Is Safersys' website offline?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Movingnewbie

Is Safersys' website offline?

Postby Movingnewbie » Wed May 05, 2004 1:58 am

This is a terrific site! I was about an hour from contracting one of the vanlines.com companies for my move from Houston to Boulder. Potential tragedy averted.

I've been flipping through my local yellow pages (paper copy, as recommended) and have a couple of companies' DOT numbers that I'd like to look up on safersys.org, but the website doesn't seem to be able to load. Does this happen sometimes, or is the problem on my end?

I'm thinking about "Starving Students", DOT 526840B, MC-166404. There's a "Starving Students Moving Systems" on the Blacklist, but the numbers are different. Should I be concerned? I want to look them up on safersys, but I don't seem to be able to.

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks,

Aidan

Movingnewbie

Re: Is Safersys' website offline?

Postby Movingnewbie » Wed May 05, 2004 2:42 am

Please disregard the question about Starving Students - I was too quick and didn't search the boards before I asked. I know now. No need to elaborate...

Still can't load safersys.org, though. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed May 05, 2004 8:55 am

It goes down occasionally. It wasn't working last night, I noticed.
Starving Students is one of these franchise outfits that can have great agents and disastrous ones.

I looked up the one you gave numbers for. They started in 1983, and had a good run, but then there were 4 revocations in 3 years, and clean since early 2002. Not sure if a change in management caused this disruption, but perhaps a phone call asking about this info can clear it up. If you are up front with what you know, they could be honest about it.

However, wandering around their Safestat info (look in the upper right hand corner of the DOT carrier snapshot for the link), they seem to have a problem keeping their trucks on the roads. Since Oct of 2001, there have been 10 crashes, including a fatality in Wahington state, and two of the accidents were with drivers under the legal age (25) to drive a truck (they were 19 and 21).

(I'm beginning to wonder if this is the MC number for the whole outfit, not the individual franchise. Moverguys? Help me interpret? Here's the Safestat link )

Their driver inspections show unlicensed drivers, drivers in possesion of drugs, falsified logs, a driver with only a learner's permit, not a license, drunk driving. Their vehicle inspection violation rate is lower, a lot of load securement issues, failing to equip truck with operable brake systems, a few cracked/broken truck frames, broken headlights/taillights. They're obviously not taking care of their trucks, so the breakdown rate is probably higher than normal.

I'm not exactly sure how you can pull your particular franchise's info out of all this, you couls pore through the info to find the cities and towns in the violation that correspond to where you live, or you can keep looking for another mover.

Let's see if someone else can take this info and come up with a good suggestion.

Movingnewbie

Postby Movingnewbie » Wed May 12, 2004 6:06 pm

Wow! Thanks for the thorough answer! Sorry I didn't thank you sooner, but the last week has been hectic (folks were in town for graduation) and I didn't think to check back on this site for replies.

I've since written off Starving Students - the hit or missness bothers me too much - and have gotten in-home estimates from two of the majors: Allied and Mayflower. I was impressed by both representatives, but am having trouble picking one, even though one is clearly less expensive than the other. Having researched both on SaferSys, they both check out completely, and the quotes are for almost exactly the same amount of goods. I've called both, and both agree that the reason for the difference in price is just that the more expensive one is making more profit.

Here are the details:

Atlantic Moving Systems, agent for Mayflower, DOT 125563 in Houston

2,970 pounds with $15K of insurance, $250 deductible - $1680.36
free boxes

Westheimer Transfer & Storage Co, Inc, agent for Allied, DOT 76235 in Houston

3000 pounds with $15K of insurance, $250 deductible - $1964.00
charge for boxes

Apples to apples, right? Both companies are majors with large fleets, satellite tracking, and good records. I found Allied's agent to be a little more informative, but I'm having trouble justifying the extra $300. On the other hand, I'm not one to make decisions entirely on price.

Is there anything else I can ask about/look up to make my decision? Does anyone think I might be missing something? Any further help would be greatly appreciated. :) Thanks, Aidan

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed May 12, 2004 6:16 pm

Hello Newbie

I can vouch for Atlantic, because they are our Houston contact and storage warehouse for our Hewlett Packard Account.. Last summer alone they stored over a million pounds of household goods in the Houston Warehouse.....

The General Manager there is John Deale, and he is a very good person to have in case of problems...

Here's something you might not know, however. They are a dual agent for Mayflower and United. The name of the United agency is Holman Moving... John is also General Manager of that agency, operating out of the same address....

You might want to check with the Allied agent about moving boxes.. Looks like Atlantic is offering them free, while you say Allied is charging.. Ask them if the $300 difference is for packing material... I can't see you needing $300 in boxes for 3000 lbs.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Movingnewbie

Postby Movingnewbie » Wed May 12, 2004 6:50 pm

Thanks for the thumbs-up - I feel better about Atlantic already. Actually, I spoke to John and he told me about the HP/Compaq account, as well as the United and Holman affiliations. Everything seems on the up and up, so far.

I asked the Allied rep about the $300 difference. No mention of packing materials (they're not included in the quote); he said it was profit margin, that he couldn't really understand how Mayflower could afford to go so low. With Mayflower's quote in front of him, he wouldn't move on his price. $300 isn't a ton of money, but it's not insubstantial for a person who's been in school for nine years... I'm willing to pay for better service, but I can't really see the benefit. Could I really just be getting a better deal from Mayflower (Atlantic)? Somehow, I've learned to be suspicious of bargains.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed May 12, 2004 7:00 pm

Strange that the Allied guy wouldn't budge.. He must have been on a discount limitation..

Well if you talk to John, tell him that Lee from #2801 said he better treat you right if you sign with Atlantic...
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Movingnewbie

Postby Movingnewbie » Thu May 13, 2004 12:28 am

Thanks for the advice, BigLee. I'll be sure to mention you to John.

Does anyone else have a take on whether a good deal is to be believed? Right now, I can't see any reason to take the higher quote - can anyone else?

Thanks, Aidan

Natasha Fatale

Postby Natasha Fatale » Thu May 13, 2004 12:53 pm

Because of the threat to MovingScam's credibility posed by recommendations of specific moving companies and van lines made by posters, the following information regarding MovingScam's position on such recommendations is warranted:

Site's Position on Recommendations Made by Posters:

It is the policy of this site to encourage people to move themselves if possible because there are no meaningful laws in this country to deter or punish moving companies that take customers' worldly possessions hostage, which is an emotionally and financially devastating experience. Even the few, weak laws that are on the books are rarely enforced. Thus, any moving company, even if associated with a well-known major van line, can scam you without fear of punishment. Even agents of major van lines have demanded more, in some cases far more, than the original estimated cost of the move, and they have done this at destination before releasing goods. If this happens to you, and you do not pay immediately, your goods will be taken to storage and held hostage until you do pay. You will also be charged for the storage fees. The police will not intervene. You can file a civil suit afterwards, but because of the current state of the law (i.e. the Carmack Amendment), all you can recover is the amount of the overcharge, no more. For all the above reasons, it is the policy of this site to not make any recommendations or any statement that could even be interpreted as a recommendation of any moving company. To investigate moving companies in your area, read the site's article on "How To Find A Reputable Mover."

Return to “Open Community”