**Northwestern NJ Local Moving Co. - Peers Moving

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
e30tech

Re: Northwestern NJ Local Moving Co. - Peers Moving

Postby e30tech » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:09 am

Maybe you didn't read my entire post? I have gotten rates for $20 - $30 an hour less.

Relocation Estimate
1 Truck 3 Men, $89.00/hrs, 3.0 hours $267.00
Travel Time: $133.50
8%Fuel$32.00
Total Estimate Quote $432.50

1 Truck 3 Men, $85.00/hrs, 5.5 hours $467.50
Travel Time: $85.00
Total Estimate Quote $552.50

3 movers & 1 truck $80 per hr
4 movers & 1 or 2 trucks $105.00 per hr
5 movers & 1 or 2 trucks $125 per hr

Apparently my comment offended you. I was going by the numbers that were given to me by various movers.

I checked some out on the bbb.org and saw many complaints. Most complaints were resolved, but peers had 0 complaints in 36 months

I will probably go with Peers based on the bbb.org complaints

Edit...

"Occupation: Mover "

Sorry to offend you :wink:

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:17 am

No you didn't offend me. I've seen it all in 43 years. I used to have a part time hobby job in which I got paid to let people yell at me.

My point, poorly worded, was that if you are turning all your stuff over to a stranger, when they load the truck and drive away, you need to be comfortable with your choice. Cheap movers usually have poorly paid and trained employees, not enough insurance, pick up their laborers off the street, or at liquor store parking lots, and don't pay claims, despite whatever 'coverage' you purchase.

I hope it works out for you. I don't even know where Morris county is, but if its any kind of big market, you won't get much for $85 an hour. Movers in the thriving metroplis's of places like Opp Alabama, or Ludowici Ga will charge more than that, and barely break even.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:57 am

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

e30tech

Postby e30tech » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:58 am

Agreed - which is why I will more-than-likely use Peers. Even though they are 30% more than the higher quotes from other movers, they are local and have zero complaints with the BBB(in the last 36 months).

I get a bad vibe from the other movers anyway. I did a 'multiple quote' thru a website and got all types of quotes. 2 of them call every day and either leave a message or hang up (caller ID). I don't like the fact that they are chasing me down as it would seem they are hurting for business.

Peers is coming over tomorrow night for an estimate. I'm figuring it will be about the same as the OP quote.

They also moved the neighbor that moved out above me back in May. They seemed to do an efficient job. I can't remember who I used about 8 years ago when I moved into a house (pre divorce :lol: ), but it may have been them as well. I'll post my quotes tomorrow evening.

e30tech

Postby e30tech » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:31 am

Rick wrote:Using your cheapest rate of $80.00/hr as an example, once your back out (or expense) the cost of:
  • Administrative Overhead (including owners profit)
  • Fuel
  • Vehicle Insurance
  • Equipment Expenses
  • Taxes/FICA
  • Workman's Comp Insurance
  • Employee Wages; and,
  • Employee Benefits
"the professionals" that you're paying to move everything that you own are probably making minimum wage. Hope they don't have to buy their own bottled water!

It appears that Peers Moving Company, Inc has done an excellent job of providing economical local moving services while maintaining their quality of service.

Thanks for the links. I figured the lower guys would 'hit me in the end' and hold my stuff hostage unless they get paid the 'new amount' as it was only an estimate they gave me.

Just incase anyone thinks I am bashing Peers, I am not. I have stated they have ZERO complaints according to the BBB.

spork

Postby spork » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:26 pm

Hey, here's another update...

We had to move again. From Budd Lake to Morristown. It's a very long story and it involves disability rights and lawyers.

That said, I called up Peers for this move. We just moved today, and I actually requested (and got, mostly) the same crew. As someone who's moved before, I'd say that anyone that uses the same mover twice is pretty damn happy with them. I've never been moved by a company before where I'd want to do business with them again. :)

This move could have been a pain in the ass in the wrong hands. Very narrow door and stairway, and the only way to get the big stuff in was through a second floor window. They came ready for a number of ways ot doing this, but in the end just powered the stuff up from the rear lift of the truck. This turned out to be so efficient that they started sending everything up that way. They were amazingly fast. They left our living room setup in a nice way, carpet and all, and helped me remove some junk furniture and a huge old area rug. Scott and Santa, you kick ass. And your two helpers did a great job as well. Total time with 4 guys (including travel) was 3.5 hours.

Again, my paperwork is... somewhere. I'll post numbers when I find it.

These folks are more expensive than all the scammy places that contacted me through one of those websites, but I think the value you get from them is great. I will use them on my next move. I just hope it's nowhere near as soon as this one was.

Peach

Postby Peach » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:56 pm

Used Peer's from Dover and was very, very satisfied. They were efficient and very accommodating. Whatever we wanted to have moved and removed they did in a very nice manner. Very friendly all the way around. We were charged exactly what we were quoted. Thank you Peer's.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:24 pm

Thanks so much for your review. Based on your comments and others here, I think that Peers is a very good company.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Peach

Re: **Northwestern NJ Local Moving Co. - Peers Moving

Postby Peach » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:40 am

The most important factor was with Peer's that they did what they had promised and not deviated from anything. The price was what we were quoted, the movers arrived as promised and were courteous also.

Diane

Re: **Northwestern NJ Local Moving Co. - Peers Moving

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:58 am

Just curious - why did you choose them? I know from what you posted that you were considering Moovers as well.

Return to “Open Community”