Amherst to Cincinnati

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
vishal

Amherst to Cincinnati

Postby vishal » Wed May 12, 2004 4:55 pm

I am moving to Cincinnati from Amherst and have contacted a lot fo the moving companies in the area. I am currently talking to Boston Quality Movers, a member of the Better Business Bureau HOWEVER they are based in Allston. I haven't obtained in-house estimates from anyone else other than Allied Movers who estimated 2100 pounds and have estimated me $1941. I was wondering if anyone had any information on these movers or any other informaiton on which companies should be trusted for the move. I have read some rather disheartening posts on this website about moving companies.

BigLeeCalif

Re: Amherst to Cincinnati

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed May 12, 2004 5:16 pm

You should first read the article entitled, "How to Find a Reputable Mover"....

Secondly, if at all possible, schedule your estimates through a local company. They should be willing to come out and give you an in home estimate...

2100 lbs is the standard minimum for Mayflower and United Van Lines; other Van Lines might have higher or lower minimums.

If your shipment is that light, you might consider one of the Do It Yourself Movers, where you pack and load, and they deliver it. It is generally cheaper than moving companies, but you do have to do the work.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 12, 2004 6:35 pm

Vishal,

Rule out Boston Quality Movers of Watertown, MA (DOT #1127986) with website at www.bqmovers.com. They advertise on www.vanlines.com and www.123movers.com, both of which funnel victims to scam companies. They list themselves on www.safersys.org as having only 1 tractor-trailer and 1 driver, and they have a 100% driver out of service rating.

Their "satisfactory" BBB rating means nothing because the BBB is reluctant to offend dues-paying members. Also, they have more complaints about them than 93% of the moving companies in eastern Massachusetts, Maine, and Vermont that are listed with the BBB. Finally, the BBB says that the president of BQM is Eli Aboudarm. FBI statistics indicate that the great majority of scam moving companies indicted in the U.S. are operated by citizens of Israel.

I'm not sure what company you mean by "Allied Movers." Please provide a MC (motor carrier) license number so we can research them for you. Ask the company what it is.

I agree with BigLee that a U-Pack, We-Drive type mover could work for you. If you are interested in this type of move, let us know and we'll provide further details.

Postby 23 » Wed May 12, 2004 8:42 pm

To move within the state of Ohio, every mover has be registered with the PUCO (Public Utilities Commission of Ohio)

You can read more about this here: http://www.puco.ohio.gov/PUCO/Consumer/ ... doc_id=131

This is a regulated state so each mover has to publish their rates with the PUCO each year.

You could either be moved by the hour or by the weight. I would guess that 2100# going 225 miles should cost you about $1200.

Good luck!

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 12, 2004 8:52 pm

Amherst, MASSACHUSETTS, 23 . . . did you forget your glasses again?

Postby 23 » Wed May 12, 2004 9:01 pm

I guess there are too many Amherst's out there!

I still don't see where she clarified Amherst, MA!

I think it is time for bed!

vishal

Postby vishal » Wed May 12, 2004 10:36 pm

I meant Allied Van Lines Diane. I contacted an Allied Van Lines agent named Roger Sitterly and Son, Inc to be found at www.sitterlymovers.com and based out of Springfield Massachusetts. They are one of the few national movers in the area and I am having a hard time finding people of national repute to move. Any advice on this will be much appreciated and I am open to the UPack We Drive idea.

And it is Amherst in MA 23. Sorry for the confusion.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed May 12, 2004 11:48 pm

Vishal,

In a college town like Amherst I would think you could get some opinions about Sitterly. Ask realtors about them. At first glance their website looks good and the BBB report saying that they've been in business since 1935 seems reassuring. I can't really tell you much more than that. Hopefully someone else will jump in here. Allied is of course a reputable major van line. You need to get a Guaranteed Not to Exceed quote from them.

At 2100 pounds you are at 300 cubic feet which is about 4-5 linear feet of space with a freight forwarder like ABF at www.upack.com or Broadway Express at www.broadwayexpress.net. BE apparently has a minimum of 10 feet so you would be paying for space that you didn't need. I think ABF has a 5 foot minimum. On the other hand BE's rate per linear foot is usually somewhat less than ABF's. I've been told that these companies sometimes match each other's quotes so you might try that.

It's somewhat of a hassle to use these freight forwarders and I'm not sure you would want to get into that kind of thing, but if you're interested or if money is a concern, you could call ABF or BE to get a quote to see how it compares with Allied's. A lot has been written about these two companies on this messageboard and you can see it by doing a search. With ABF you would need to have a couple of guys available to help you load carefully. With BE the driver would help so you'd need less outside assistance.

Return to “Open Community”