Amodio Van & Storage

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
rydog444

Amodio Van & Storage

Postby rydog444 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:07 am

Anybody hear anything about them? Heard rumor that they were in trouble and let go of all of their drivers. Mayflower agent in Hartford.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

moverchick

Re: Amodio Van & Storage

Postby moverchick » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:52 pm

I used to sell in that market. Heard from a United agent and friend that they were closing. I believe they were at least 3-4 generation

blue

Postby blue » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:22 pm

They're done. Heard they were saturated with competition in a declining market. Tough to consistently provide excellent service on bottom-of-the-barrel pricing. They were a good agent.

bosoxfan

Postby bosoxfan » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:26 pm

Why didn't Unigroup help them out in the short term to allow agents like this to weather the storm? The market is bound to turnaround allowing this Mayflower agent to reimburse the parent company in the future.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:10 pm

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:00 am

Confirmed.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:20 am

It's a shame they couldn't hold on until the upcoming movers bailout by congress.

smatwilly

Postby smatwilly » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:23 am

I just heard that as well--my GM told me they closed. He said they employed over 100 people--tough on the employees----- :cry:

smatwilly

Postby smatwilly » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:28 am

Boxfan--In response your post about why Unigroup doesnt help them. I am not part of Unigroup - Im with Sirva----Honestly, if they are anything like Sirva than they are more likely to hurt agencies rather than help them. I hate to say that but for us to rely on Sirva would be a really bad thing. They take money from us before they would give money to help us----- its been this way for years & years---in fact, its gotten really bad over the past few yrs---it really had nothing to do with the bankruptcy either---they have more money now than ever. My GM was with Mayflower & Allied for the past 30 yrs & he thought I was joking when I said what little help the van lines give us---he is quite shocked at how they do things.

Sherry

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:35 am

Unigroup is agent owned, so they are controlled by the agents, and do whatever the majority of the agents (or shareholders) want them to do. I am sure Unigroup would run out of money fast, if they started helping stuggling agents stay afloat.

bosoxfan

Postby bosoxfan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:58 am

smatwilly wrote:Boxfan--In response your post about why Unigroup doesnt help them. I am not part of Unigroup - Im with Sirva----Honestly, if they are anything like Sirva than they are more likely to hurt agencies rather than help them. I hate to say that but for us to rely on Sirva would be a really bad thing. They take money from us before they would give money to help us----- its been this way for years & years---in fact, its gotten really bad over the past few yrs---it really had nothing to do with the bankruptcy either---they have more money now than ever. My GM was with Mayflower & Allied for the past 30 yrs & he thought I was joking when I said what little help the van lines give us---he is quite shocked at how they do things.

Sherry
I am surprised that neither the NAVL or Allied agents have made an offer to SIRVA to buy the brand. Why keep them them if they have no desire to help them out.

I work for an investment firm and our parent company, is a large bank based in PA and they have gone to bat on numerous occasions to help finance our acquistions the past 10 years. Based on their continued support, we are in the top three in terms of Fund Accounting, Transfer Agent and Subaccounting processing in the entire industry. This was done, because our parent has a vested interest in our success.

I am surprised Sirva and Unigroup does not model their thinking similar to my example. Every agent - big or small is important to the company. I guess I was naive about your industry.
Last edited by bosoxfan on Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:16 am

It's not a bad idea. Maybe reduce the van line fee during the tough times, and allow stuggling agents to pay it back later. It could work.

What might differ between our industry and the banking industry, is the van lines don't really do anything. From what I have seen, most agents want the van line to do as little as possible. Kind of like Republicans and the government.

smatwilly

Postby smatwilly » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:37 pm

Actually, Morgan, Stanley owns Sirva....now anyhow. I think many of us agents are hoping that some of the large agents - Ward, Beltman, University, George - some of the more involved agents would get together & do that-----I dont think its possible though--if they would even sell--not to mention how much money they would want---plus, getting together several agents buying such a substantial business would be tough-----too many agents wanting too many different things---too many chiefs & not enough indians............

I dont know if we will ever see that happen---the agents whose hearts are really with NAVL are in there 40's & 50's for the most part (I believe) & if they have no family following in their footsteps than they may not feel its worth the short term agrivation.

There are some die hard NAVL owners out there that have had the screws put to them so many times they just lose their interest & pride-----

bosoxfan

Postby bosoxfan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:50 pm

Thanks Sherry.

I had thought that JP Morgan owned SIRVA, because they were owed 200 million when Sirva decided to delcare Chapter 11 or 13 - I can not remember exactly which one, but it occurred in early Feb.

I agree with you about Ward, I had the pleasure of meeting Kevin Aukenbauer in 2006 - very bright man. He runs a very good van line for NAVL. If he and the owners of Beltmann, Sterling, Freeman and Alex could pull their funds together - they might be able to convince SIRVA to sell.

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:58 pm

I did here through the rumor mill Allied was in the process of being sold. This may not be true.

Return to “Open Community”