Amodio Van & Storage

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
bosoxfan

Re: Amodio Van & Storage

Postby bosoxfan » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:13 pm

bigmove wrote:I did here through the rumor mill Allied was in the process of being sold. This may not be true.

Someone had mentioned in the past that Berger may have made a bid to buy Allied from Sirva, but was denied - is there any truth to that.
Last edited by bosoxfan on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigmove

Postby bigmove » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:23 pm

I doubt Berger would try to buy the entire van line themselves. I did here Berger might become independent. That is just a rumor.

bosoxfan

Postby bosoxfan » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:22 am

'The Trucker' magazine has indicated that Amodio's equipment is being aunctioned off next week. It also stated that another Household mover in Connectict closed it's doors earlier this year, Salka & Sons out of Meriden. I think Salka & Sons were affiliated with NAVL.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:25 am

The NA agent in Macon GA is having their stuff sold at auction this coming Saturday. I would go bid on some of their stuff, but it would just add to what will have to be auctioned off here in a couple of years, if things don't change. :oops:

bosoxfan

Postby bosoxfan » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:33 am

Archie - would that be McLendon Movers?

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:46 am

Yes, they had been around for many years, but may have shut down recently, don't know any details. They were one of 3 major competitors, when I lived in Macon, 1969-70. Harvey McClendon was the NA, Walter Cannon was the MAyflower, and I was the United. I was only 20, but I could lowball just as good as they could, back then.

bosoxfan

Postby bosoxfan » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:35 pm

I remember an another small NAVL in GA that was located in Brunswick called Golden Isles. Being situated near major military bases (Fort Stewart) should benefit some movers, even small ones like this one. Macon is what - 35 miles to the east of Fort Benning - should had received some business from there?

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:41 pm

Macon is located at Robins AFB, which is in the middle of the state, Ft Benning is in Columbus GA, the west part of the state, Ft Stewart is just South of Savannah, the East part of the state. Golden isles is in Brunswick, as you say, they have a place on US Hwy 17, just North of Brunswick, but about 60 miles or so from Ft Stewart. It's an easy drive, they may service it from there, or have a place closer, not sure. Brunswick had a Naval Air Station for years, Glynnco, but it closed, and the FBI took it over for a training facility. You can hear the small arms fire for miles around, as the FBI guys are training. Coastal GA is beautiful, but you have to know how to deal with the gnats and no-see-ums.

smatwilly

Postby smatwilly » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:44 pm

Yes, Salka & Sons was a NAVL agent--owned by Steve Salka--I called earlier & I couldnt even get through to anyone in their Cromwell office--the one in New Haven is gone----are they independent now or did they pick up other colors?

bosoxfan

Postby bosoxfan » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:54 pm

smatwilly wrote:Yes, Salka & Sons was a NAVL agent--owned by Steve Salka--I called earlier & I couldnt even get through to anyone in their Cromwell office--the one in New Haven is gone----are they independent now or did they pick up other colors?

Yes - they are affiliated with Stevens Van Lines and their main contact is Pam Salka.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:59 pm

I started my sales career in 1985 at Salka & Sons before Steve's father, Kenny, retired.
My wife and I ordered a bed from a retailer, and when the woman called to confirm the delivery, it was one of my old co-workers from Salka! She explained that they weren't doing much HHG moving anymore, and were doing more warehousing and distribution. That was last fall.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

EastCoastMover

Postby EastCoastMover » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:37 pm

salka is no longer in the moving business...period...the state came in and raised hell about sub contractors or some crap according to pam .....doors closed and employees are gone....it really sucks... i drove for them back when ken was still running the show in the mid 80's

Return to “Open Community”