Moving from GA to MD

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
A_Lion

Moving from GA to MD

Postby A_Lion » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:39 pm

This morning I started shopping for a mover. I could not remember who moved us down here, so I started fresh. I talked to a few companies that appeared to me to be straight-up scams. . . .

I also talked to the guys that moved some of my stuff into storage. They are local guys and don't have a semi-trailer, which my move probably needs. They would drive back empty. They want $8,000ish for the job. I trust them, but this seems high. Estimated weight is 11,000 to 14,000 lbs.

I next started looking at the local agents that will actually come estimate. I think this is a more sound practice. Comments?

Sometime during this time, my wife stumbled across the paper work for our move down here. It was AC White that did the job, and it was an issue free move. We were quite happy.

I have been reading this board for a sum total of one day now, but I know that Mr White is a fixture here. I know you can't advertise, but feel free to PM me, Archie. :lol:

MusicMom

Re: Moving from GA to MD

Postby MusicMom » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:23 pm

AC White is an excellent company, you should definitely have them on your list of locals to come do an in-home inspection. And to answer your other question, yes, this is the best thing to do: have locals come to your house. You want a professionally-trained person to look at all the stuff to be moved and estimate the size.

It would be nice if you could remember the name of the mover who put your stuff in storage.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:04 pm

I'm sorry, but when they said "Mr. White" I had to giggle. :lol: I just don't picture Archie as a "Mr. White".

A_Lion

Postby A_Lion » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:51 am

MusicMom wrote:AIt would be nice if you could remember the name of the mover who put your stuff in storage.

I do remember their name, it is Mark the Movers. They are highly rated for local moves but no information on long distance moves. My issue with them is that they want to use two panel vans and drive back empty. I think that will increase the price too much.

What I think we now remember is that it was some other United agent that did our last interstate move, and AC White that did our last local move. Both were issue free.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:01 pm

If you had a good move with AC White Relocations before, I say you should use them again. From my perspective, it certainly appears Archie and the rest of his staff genuinely care about their customers and will do what it takes to make your move go smoothly and keep you happy.

BillAdams

Postby BillAdams » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:05 am

Sound much like a no-brainer to me.
Incident free move with AC White, and AC White is an approved mover on this site?
Have Archie's sales rep come for an in-home estimate, compare it with one other to be confident that you did your homework, and book your dates.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
-Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”